1st February 2006
The Interruptor has released Wow & Flutter, a VST effect plug-in for Windows which emulates the playback speed imperfections of the pre-digital era.
- Playback speed is modulated in realtime by up to six oscillators.
- Intuitive controls: Non-linearly scaled controls allow to directly set the perceived pitch deviation depth and rate resulting from the playback speed modulation.
- Dual mode: In dual mode the left and the right channel are modulated separately.
- Flange mode: When the modulated signal is mixed with the original signal a flanging effect occurs. This feature recalls the times when recording engineers created a flange effect by applying pressure on the tape reel with their hand. Additional controls for feedback and delay allow to create more intense flange effects. Although the unit can be pushed to self-oscillation in extreme settings it will never cause digital clipping thanks to a compressor algorithm inserted into the feedback path.
- A built-in test tone generator makes it easy to quickly check a particular setting with different signals or to use the plug-in as a self-contained "noise maker".
- If a control has no influence on the sound in a certain mode it will disappear from the surface.
- All parameters are controllable by MIDI controllers.
- Pop-up hints help to understand the function of each control on the user interface. These appear when the mouse rests over a control. Also the assignment of MIDI controllers is documented in the pop-up hints.
Wow & Flutter is available as a VST effect plug-in for Windows and it is free (donations accepted of course).