Tone2 sale... which one should I get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I've always wanted a Tone2 synth, and since they are on sale, I'm trying to decide which one I should buy. The choices are Gladiator, Electra 2, Nemesis and Icarus. I didn't care much for Icarus in that I have other wavetable synths that cover similar ground, but maybe I'm missing something. They all have the unique filters and oscillators that I like about Tone2, but I'm curious as to what others think is the best of these 4.

DJMashbot wrote:So, I've always wanted a Tone2 synth, and since they are on sale, I'm trying to decide which one I should buy. The choices are Gladiator, Electra 2, Nemesis and Icarus. I didn't care much for Icarus in that I have other wavetable synths that cover similar ground, but maybe I'm missing something. They all have the unique filters and oscillators that I like about Tone2, but I'm curious as to what others think is the best of these 4.
impossible to answer. i like them all

-- Disclaimer: I am a beta tester for T2, and have done factory sounds for them for years, so ye, just putting it out there, I love their synths :) --

Ye, super tough call. I have them all (their whole catalogue), so can give you some guidance based on what music you make. So, let's hear it... What would you like to achieve with the T2 synth, is it to fill a particular gap in your arsenal, or a nice to have / something special / weird?

Based on what you noted as possible choices:

- Gladiator: Very unique approach to synthesis, and you can get some super lush tones, but it's a bit fiddly to work with and can be a headache if you're not that keen on synthesis from a "fiddling for hours" point of view. Does come with a massive stack of presets though, so could go either way really (fiddle and tweak for hours, or don't). Very EDM orientated imo, however, does do some more organic and real instrument tones, so not a one trick pony by any stretch.

- Electra 2: Super versatile and does more than just subtractive synthesis, but for my uses, I usually just stick with the subtractive stuff. Due to the layering you can get some really intricate sounds, especially pads. Can be a CPU hog depending on how much unison you stack, but most of the presets are quite well optimized, so shouldn't be a problem in general, and when paying attention to voices and all that, can be very low on CPU in fact. You just need to keep an eye on that.

- Nemesis: Brilliant synth for nasty basses and bright ear ripping leads. It's FM, but not as you know it, so consider it as a unique take on FM (and I suppose PM). Does well for aggressive styles, dubstep, drumstep, hardstyle, DnB and the likes. Will do the soft stuff as well, but I feel it's very well suited to aggro stuff.

- Icarus: ... a stonking synth. Can go really deep, and is very versatile. A go-to for me since the drag and drop mod implementation. Everything from soft and subtle to facemelting harsh. One of the best synths on the market at the moment imo (kind of in the same vein as Serum, but with a different approach). I know you said you're not keen on that, so, ye, stil figured I'd at least say something about it :P
Last edited by GeorgeZ on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eternitysound VST Banks

DJMashbot wrote:So, I've always wanted a Tone2 synth, and since they are on sale, I'm trying to decide which one I should buy. The choices are Gladiator, Electra 2, Nemesis and Icarus. I didn't care much for Icarus in that I have other wavetable synths that cover similar ground, but maybe I'm missing something. They all have the unique filters and oscillators that I like about Tone2, but I'm curious as to what others think is the best of these 4.

I really think Nemesis sounds amazing. I think if I could only have one of those 3 I would choose that one. Electra 2 would be second. I am leaving out Icarus since you said you didn't care much for it. In fact that is the only one I don't have out of all their products.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the responses. I tend to go for more aggressive EDM and chiptune sounds, but I've got chiptune covered and then some. I own quite a few synths, so I'm looking more for the weird/unusual than a workhorse. I liked Nemesis from the demo, and it's not that I didn't like Icarus, but I have a couple wavetable synths and draw your own oscillator synths that cover similar ground. I haven't demoed the other two yet, though.

Demo the other two :)
Eternitysound VST Banks

Where do you see a sale? I went to their site and can't find anything.

They've sent a newsletter out to their customers with direct links in it. Also, bestservice.de, jrrshop.com and audiodeluxe.com are running the sale.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

https://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=2445.0

It was posted on their Facebook, which is how I found out. It's through Sunday.

Icarus is not on sale, as far as I could see. If then, I would have recommended that, imo their best synth so far.

Icarus was on that list, 119€.

starflakeprj wrote:They've sent a newsletter out to their customers with direct links in it. Also, bestservice.de, jrrshop.com and audiodeluxe.com are running the sale.
Interesting. I have 3 of their synths and never got a letter. I guess they don't consider me a customer.

wagtunes wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:They've sent a newsletter out to their customers with direct links in it. Also, bestservice.de, jrrshop.com and audiodeluxe.com are running the sale.
Interesting. I have 3 of their synths and never got a letter. I guess they don't consider me a customer.
hmm..i got an email as well.

How about RayBlaster? This is truly a unique synth. I wish I had more time to spend with it.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

sl1914 wrote:Icarus was on that list, 119€.
Alright, that's cool. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”