What is KVR?
KVR Audio is a community and news site for Audio Software and Audio Plug-ins and related subjects, such as sample libraries and Mobile Apps. Our mission is to supply up to date news to VST, AU, AAX, (and RE, LV2, etc.), plug-in and iOS and Android App users in a friendly, up-front and timely manner.
- Submit News and/or Plug-in/Host/App info for inclusion in the database
- Submit Banks or Patches
- Advertise @ KVR
- General feedback/enquiries:
- e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org - This e-mail address is for contacting KVR administrative personnel for issues concerning the kvraudio.com website ONLY - i.e. KVR Forum Login issues, KVR Forum account problems, general enquiries, etc.
- We do not provide e-mail support for any of the companies that have support forums hosted here, please post your support request either in the relevant company forum or contact their support e-mail address (if they have one) which should be available from their websites.
Audio Plug-ins & Mobile Apps
KVR covers and supports popular Audio Plug-in formats - VST (Windows / macOS / Linux), Audio Units (macOS), LADSPA, DSSI & LV2 (Linux), AAX (Windows / macOS), Rack Extensions (Windows / macOS), and mobile Apps for iOS and Android.
Steinberg's VST (Virtual Studio Technology) has the advantage of being cross-platform (Windows, macOS and Linux) and an Open Standard. By Open Standard we are referring to the fact that the Software Development Kit (SDK) required to create them is freely obtainable and available to all, allowing anyone to make a compatible Host or Plug-in. AU is Mac only. AAX is Pro Tools only. RE is Reason only.
A little KVR history:
I (Ben Turl) started KVR Audio Plugin Resources in February 2000 for something to do to pass the time, and to teach myself this web design malarkey;) VST Instruments (Virtual Studio Technology Instrument - VSTi) burst on to the scene in late 1999 with the introduction of version 2.0 of Steinberg's VST SDK and the release of Cubase VST v3.7, the first VST 2.0 host. My initial plan was to upload a few banks of patches for the nascent VSTi scene, Neon, Atom, er, LM-4, the SC plugs and maybe add a few more every now and then...
However, it wasn't long before it became glaringly obvious that there were loads of other Plug-in addicts hungry for news about the latest instruments so I started reporting news of new releases and updates. One thing that has always frustrated me is staying up to date with news and versions of the software I use so I appreciate a site that is fresh and current.
Anyway, this approach proved somewhat popular and KVR has since evolved, into a thriving community with user reviews, tutorials, a friendly and lively forum, with a lot of developer interaction, and monthly song contests in the Music Café.
We added support for DXi upon launch of the DirectX instruments standard in 2001 with the release of Twelve Tone/Cakewalk Sonar, and Apple/Emagic's Audio Units as they started to appear. In recent years we've embraced RTAS and ReWire and are easing into the future with mobile apps becoming more prominent.
Last, but by no means least, we are also proud to host official support forums for many leading developers - now too many to list here - take a look at the forum index.
So who is KVR?
KVR is owned by KVR Audio, inc.
PO Box 620323
Woodside, CA 94062.
What does KVR mean?
Nothing, it once meant something but KVR wasn't supposed to be a success, take note boys and girls, always choose a good, sensible name for any new projects you start;).
What isn't KVR?
There are many things that KVR isn't but in particular the following aren't welcome:
- KVR isn't a place for obtaining or discussing warez, cracks, porn, politics, etc.
- Flames/Stupid arguments.
- Elite-ness/Egos/One-upmanship/Penis comparison/Parent fights/etc.
- Format wars (Please...)/Host wars (Come on, try now...)/Platform wars (Leave it Darren, it's not worth it...).
- KVR isn't a free for all democracy where you can say what you like about who you like, respect one another and they will respect you.
Enjoy your stay :).