VST3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
Can someone please explain me why VST3 has this extremely slow adoption rate by VSTi plugin makers?
I see quite a lot of VST plugins around but not so many instruments. DAWs supporting VST3 are a lot now.
Isn't this behaviour slowing down plugin technology too?
I tend to buy only VST3 because I think that someday Steinberg (I'm a very happy Cubase user) will drop VST2 and I won't be prepared.
For me backward compability is a big issue and I think that developers (Steinberg too) don't give it the importance it deserves. They tend to sell newer products and dropping old ones in order to make quicker money.
www.synkrostudio.it, www. roundoround.com

I never understood the difference between VST3 and VST 2 , other than steinberg wanted it to make side chaining easier in Cubase.

I am sure there is more to it than that, but id be happy to hear the reasons.

I think the old addage, if it aint broke dont fix it applies here.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

spinettim wrote:DAWs supporting VST3 are a lot now.
Actually that's not entirely true, most DAWS that support VST3 only do so partially. I can't think of any, with the obvious exception of Steinberg DAWS, that fully support the VST3 spec including per note automation, VST3 presets and all the other aspects. Most just support loading the things, which is basically just making them like any other plugin, but not their enhanced features, or even loading/managing their presets, which is so half assed it's infuriating.

I wouldn't say a lot of daws support it. I can only think of 2 or 3. I guess vst3 didn't really impress like it was intended to. VSTi's can certainly live without it. I think half the problem is a lot of people dont even know or care what the major differences are, to me this indicates the technology isn't exactly wow! factor material.

VST expression. Cubase can do this right? I'm not sure how many vi's have this option in cubase, I thought it was only their sampler. Personally I dont get how modulating one of the polyphonic notes would be something you'd do often or what use it would serve other than add randomization.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

aMUSEd wrote:
spinettim wrote:DAWs supporting VST3 are a lot now.
Most just support loading the things, which is basically just making them like any other plugin, but not their enhanced features, or even loading/managing their presets, which is so half assed it's infuriating.
This irritates me so much. The big thing about VSTpresets is that they are taggable. I think it’s very handy to find the sound I’m searching for with a few clicks. Media Bay was a game changer for me in Cubase. Now Native Instruments brings us NKS with taggable presets too but you need to load another plugin to get the benefit of it. The VSTpresets integration is a much better solution for a DAW IMO.

Which DAW's apart from Cubase make full use of the VST3 specifications?

I don't think any fully (except obviously Nuendo which is just Cubase un-lite)

Possibly S1 comes closest.

Ok. I'll have a look. Never noticed any VST3 related stuff in S1.

I don't know about all the VST expression stuff because I've never really got what that is anyway other than a marketing phrase, but it at least is the only host I have apart from Bidule that supports VST 3 presets properly

VST expression and VST presets are big enhancements for me. I imagined tons of libraries adopting them but nope

A bit confusing
VST 3 and VST 3.5 instruments
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/te ... ssion.html

rumours going around vst3 sounds more analog then vst2!

some companies vst3 builds just don't work right in Cubase like izotope I have to use vst2 because they will not export automation in vst3

robindrieghe wrote:rumours going around vst3 sounds more analog then vst2!
:D

Return to “Instruments”