Can You Feel It (Pop)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Song I made yesterday with vocal loops. I think its a pop song but I am not sure at all.

https://soundcloud.com/mo7ex/can-you-feel-it
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

It is. It's pretty good too.

Again where it comes unglued is in the details of the execution as it lacks the little bits of extra detail that make this sort of material work. Well done on making samples seem like an actual song tho.

There is is a bit of distortion on the final product which is not allowable so really watch your mastering. Allow 0.3db headroom as 0db often causes distortion on converters (and web services).

You seem to be working fast which is good but at some stage, sit with a track and a day or so later, consider it a Demo and then work out how it can be made more polished with greater attention to details of melody & arrangement. Just don't overcook it. Working with a mentor can really help here as you get pointers from outside yourself.

:-)

Yes I heared the distortion too... I started using a compressor to make the vocals louder now. I did not use that before. I am still learning so these "songs" are just a bit practice to me I think...
Yes I work fast, I create a track in an hour tops. Like I said, its more practice but in the end I enjoy the product. I am not a professional at all I know, I just want to have a bit of fun.
Thank you very much for the feedback. I heared from others that on another forum that my melodies are dull and thats why I started using vocals... to solve that problem... I am glad you did like the song a bit!
The problem with the distortion is also that I need to split some of the vocals because the singer yells more then sings all of a sudden in the loop. So I have to split it and rearrange the volume of said piece. But I ofcourse have to make sure it does not sound (a lot) more silent then the other piece. Like I said, I try to use compressor now to get it louder. I have to do that because the reverb makes it more silent. I am also trying now instead of raising the volume a lot of the vocals, to minimize the volume of the instruments. I do not know if that will work out well, I will see that.

I tried to fix the distortion a bit. I have uploaded a new version of the song, can you tell me if it is better now? I think its a bit better now but could use your input Benedict.

Like the change in energy at 1:00 and at 2:15.
2:30 that transition could be better. Maybe build into it.
The vocal is very good. I'd be asking for more variety but the vocal provides it.
I would have inserted a bridge or vibe change where I would move to a different chord progression, maybe a major one for a few bars temporarily before switching back.

Thx for the feedback and time to listen to it. Yeah on another forum they said I was not that good at making melodies so I started using vocals...

Mozex wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:14 am I tried to fix the distortion a bit. I have uploaded a new version of the song, can you tell me if it is better now? I think its a bit better now but could use your input Benedict.
Distortion seems solved. And the overall balance of the piece is more consistent too so good work.

You don't really have any melodies. Adding vocals isn't solving that. It kinda hides it but the backing is still too sparse, esp in your intros where it is simply some notes moving (like a chord progression). Just be careful that you don't put more focus on technical "production" tricks instead of the songwriting. A real Record Producer looks at the whole then works on the details ;-)

If you are writing a song it matters not to audiences if you did it for a laff or to dethrone Trailer Swift, they just judge it based on if it works for them or not. You are playing the game or not. Pretending to only be playing around allows you to avoid the real work you COULD be doing.

My Feedback

Music - 5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7
Mix - 8

Overall - 6.75

Comments: Well, taking the vocal loops away, which I can't credit you for, the background is just the same chords over and over. There's really not much to this "song." Truth is, the vocal loops are the best part of the song. Take them away and there's not much left. My suggestion is to take a course in music theory and/or music composition. I'll leave it at that.

I just want to have fun. I will continue on this pad I am going now.

Benedict wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 pm
Mozex wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:14 am I tried to fix the distortion a bit. I have uploaded a new version of the song, can you tell me if it is better now? I think its a bit better now but could use your input Benedict.
Distortion seems solved. And the overall balance of the piece is more consistent too so good work.

You don't really have any melodies. Adding vocals isn't solving that. It kinda hides it but the backing is still too sparse, esp in your intros where it is simply some notes moving (like a chord progression). Just be careful that you don't put more focus on technical "production" tricks instead of the songwriting. A real Record Producer looks at the whole then works on the details ;-)

If you are writing a song it matters not to audiences if you did it for a laff or to dethrone Trailer Swift, they just judge it based on if it works for them or not. You are playing the game or not. Pretending to only be playing around allows you to avoid the real work you COULD be doing.

The thing is Benedict that I just do this for fun, I do not need to be doing this for a living... I do not want to be famous. I just want to have fun creating something.

But there is always something wrong. When I made melodies, the melodies were dull (on another forum). Now I use vocals and thats not good either because there are no melodies. Its never good, it can never be appreciated for what it is it seems.

I think the songs are good, but then there are always people who break them down. I understand they see this as helping, it aint helping me a lot, it makes me want to make quit music making. I am not a professional nor do I strive to be one. I just want to have fun making something. Many will look at this as a joke, but my mother for the first time said that she wanted this song on a cd. I have a bad past, I threated my mother bad, I did drugs, I messed whole my life up. But now she is proud of me and thats enough for me.

I do not need to give my music to a producer, I do not need to become famous, I do not need to make money with my music. I just want to have fun making something.
Last edited by Heavenly Sounds on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:03 am My Feedback

Music - 5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7
Mix - 8

Overall - 6.75

Comments: Well, taking the vocal loops away, which I can't credit you for, the background is just the same chords over and over. There's really not much to this "song." Truth is, the vocal loops are the best part of the song. Take them away and there's not much left. My suggestion is to take a course in music theory and/or music composition. I'll leave it at that.
I do not really agree on how you look at the song. I understand why you follow this logic but I do not agree. You seperate the lyrics from the song. I see it as a whole, one complements the other, if that is not the case then people should just make instrumentals.

So seperating both from eachother is not so good in my opinion. Ofcourse the track will sound empty then, you take a whole part away from it. I see a vocal as another instrument. Taking it away is like taking away a instrument. So yes, its normal it sounds empty then. I understand that you can not credit me for the vocal, I understand that part, but still its a part of the song which you can not just throw away.

And to be honest, the vocals had to get something editing too because some part of it are yelled so I head to split the vocals and reduce the volume of some parts of it while trying to stay at the same volume of the rest of the song. It was not like I just put a vocal on it and done, no, not really.

I like the song and that is good enough for me. I make my mother proud and thats good enough for me. I am sorry that I can not please you but frankly, I am behind the point to care about that. I am sorry if I sound arrogant but I come from another forum and there it was never good either.

My melodies were dull and sucked and overall my music was bad. Now I remove the melodies because I got such a dent in my confidence because of that experience and I put vocals on it and its not good either. I am a bit sick and tired of these professionals who can not appreciate something for what it is.

You can not say that the music is bad, I am sorry, you simply can not, the music goes well togheter with what is sung. It compliments eachother. I may not be a professional, nor do I strive to be one. I just want to have fun making something. I do not need to do this for a living, I am happy with just being an amateur.
Last edited by Heavenly Sounds on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

I did not bother reading your big wall of text. I stopped after "I do not agree."

Fine. I will stop commenting on your "music" as you're not worth my spending anymore time on you.

Have a nice day.

PS - Please try writing in paragraphs. It will at least get people to possibly want to read what you wrote.

A shame you did not read it all but okay. I guess everyone needs to agree with you.

Mozex wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:04 am A shame you did not read it all but okay. I guess everyone needs to agree with you.
No, everyone doesn't have to agree with me. You can think and do whatever you like. It's a relatively free society depending on where you live. Your problem is you're obviously a child who can't take criticism.

When you post music at a music forum for people to listen to, people are going to critique that music accordingly. If you're looking for people to give you an "addaboy" then go play your music for your family. They'll tell you how wonderful you are. Biggest disservice my family ever did for me when in truth my music was crap.

My friend, and I use that term loosely, you need to develop a thick skin if you want to survive in a place like this. If you notice, I didn't completely pull apart your submission. The performance and mix were decent. Only thing I criticized was your composition skill which is lacking. Sorry if you don't want to hear that but it's a fact.

Having said that, I really don't want to continue this discussion any longer. I'd rather spend my time with somebody who wants to improve as a musician. You're obviously content with what you are so any further discourse is pointless.

Again, have a nice day. Don't bother replying to this because I won't be responding back.

I just told you how I felt. Now I am a child because I did not agree and explained why.

Return to “Music Cafe”