Is Intel i5-11400F threat to AMD Ryzen 5 3600 for budget build?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think?

Even tho that they stack up pretty nice by the first look of it and Intel may be cheaper, but finding equally good board for Intel seems to be more expensive venture, which in turn maybe makes AMD build better bang for the buck, but not much and probably not enough to some?

Also maybe UAD playing nicer with Intel would make whole thing nudge in different direction to some?

It would be interesting to see Scan Audio's DAWBench results on this one for sure.

Here's some videos for interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdHTSQxdCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNOsn94N7U

Yes, it looks the best for a budget build.

The best budget cooler
https://youtu.be/ekm9ekqW5Sg

But I prefer to use a heavier cooler at lower fan speeds and
keep the CPU as cool as possible.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002254185341.html

Pictus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 pm Yes, it looks the best for a budget build.
What would you choose for that build, concerning mobo and RAM? :)
The best budget cooler
https://youtu.be/ekm9ekqW5Sg

But I prefer to use a heavier cooler at lower fan speeds and
keep the CPU as cool as possible.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002254185341.html
Awesome, thanks for the tip! :hug:

Been digging around, found Ryzen 5 3600 for 170 euros brand new, than MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX for 90 euros, on other hand lowest price for Intel i5 11400F is 160 euros and cheapest decent Z590 board, MSI Z590-A PRO for 170 euros, let's say one would splash same amount on other components, AMD build would come out cheaper.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:27 am
Pictus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 pm Yes, it looks the best for a budget build.
What would you choose for that build, concerning mobo and RAM? :)
Intel is not picky about RAM, anything goes...
MOBO, I do not know...
I stopped following Intel's stuff, but if you want to buy, I can research
when have more time.
The best budget cooler
Awesome, thanks for the tip! :hug:
You are welcome!
Passing Bye wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:50 am Been digging around, found Ryzen 5 3600 for 170 euros brand new, than MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX for 90 euros, on other hand lowest price for Intel i5 11400F is 160 euros and cheapest decent Z590 board, MSI Z590-A PRO for 170 euros, let's say one would splash same amount on other components, AMD build would come out cheaper.
Intel is faster, but AMD price is better...
The combination of Tomahawk MAX + Ryzen 5 3600 is good, you will be
satisfied...

Pictus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:47 pm I stopped following Intel's stuff, but if you want to buy, I can research
when have more time.
Thanks brother, I'm not buying, not saying I won't, but I still need to exhaust my current machine which serves me quite well, just like to research all this for fun and keep myself in the game, I'm the guy in my circle that people turn to for this kind of things and I know basically nothing, but it's fun to learn and be informed, help them as much as I can to get best machine they can.
Intel is faster, but AMD price is better...
The combination of Tomahawk MAX + Ryzen 5 3600 is good, you will be
satisfied...
Yeah, it's hard to beat that combo, Intel single core performance is quite good tho, quite the leap, still M1 is impressive for single core performance, very interesting times, think next generations of CPU's will be killer, competition is paying off.

Thank you for you time and for sharing knowledge, really appreciate everything you do for us here. :hug:

Do you have blog or some network where you share your findings and insights by any chance?

Looks like a good CPU for my new PC. All the stuff is way overpriced now though. Might even have to wait for a couple of years from now on...

chk071 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 pm Looks like a good CPU for my new PC. All the stuff is way overpriced now though. Might even have to wait for a couple of years from now on...
Yeah, also one thing concerns me, is that this is Intel's second generation of CPU's for LGA 1200 socket, if I'm not wrong, they keep retiring sockets every two generations and it would suck to get into that socket now and have only handful of CPU to upgrade to in years that come, maybe would be indeed wiser to wait until market establish itself further down the line and when prices drop down significantly, but this is good sign, I'm going to wait more too, i7 3770 serves me well after almost a decade, never hit the limit with it.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:56 pm Thank you for you time and for sharing knowledge, really appreciate everything you do for us here. :hug:

Do you have blog or some network where you share your findings and insights by any chance?
I am glad to help, but I have no blog or anything like that...
I do not like to write... :dog:
Passing Bye wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 pm
Yeah, also one thing concerns me, is that this is Intel's second generation of CPU's for LGA 1200 socket, if I'm not wrong, they keep retiring sockets every two generations and it would suck to get into that socket now and have only handful of CPU to upgrade to in years that come, maybe would be indeed wiser to wait until market establish itself further down the line and when prices drop down significantly, but this is good sign, I'm going to wait more too, i7 3770 serves me well after almost a decade, never hit the limit with it.
The next Intel/AMD will use a different socket...

Pictus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:52 pm The next Intel/AMD will use a different socket...
That's good to know, it's not like I couldn't get by with stuff that is already out there for another decade, but why limiting yourself or paying extra for things that will become depreciated very soon. :tu:

If someone isn't really demanding user (moving on from 8-10 years old build) and don't have much money to spend on build in one go, but want to have as many upgrade options on the way as possible, than it's not bad move at all to start with AMD Ryzen 5 1600/X (90 euros currently here), it's enough of an update and boost in performance.

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (85 euros currently here) with Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200mhz CL16 Kit (85 euros currently here) is best and safest bang for the buck starting point on the long run, than quality PSU like Seasonic Bronze S12III 650W (65 euros currently here), Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD for OS (40 euros currently here) and if one have really basic GPU needs (to connect screen) something like GeForce GT 710 should be more than enough (40 bucks here currently).

This all cost ~400 euros, than add case, peripherals and whatever one need further to the cost.

Thing is, not everyone needs to buy everything new again, which makes this build price vary, but let's say that 500 bucks should be good starting budget for this low budget machine that can be expanded enough on the long run, if you look at second hand market builds, one can get used i7 8700 build for the similar amount and performance, but 1) It's used and 2) It's as good as it gets as further CPU upgrades go.

One can add up to 5950X, 128GB of RAM, more storage, better GPU, whatever one find lacking over time, that's quite awesome for not demanding users, build on this socket could last one at least another 10 years easily, maybe even more, people right now get by with something like i7 3770/4770, imagine having option to always double the processing power on the long run for peanuts, move next to 5600X, than 5900X, than next even 5950X.

One of the i5's has a base clock speed of 4.1 GHZ

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”