Windows 11 installation

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After reading about the official availability today I thought this is handled like a usual Windows 10 update because Microsoft is promoting it like this.

So I thought, all right, If you think It's working that well I'm going to install it right now. :hihi:

I have a new Ryzen 5900x and the Motherboard a X570I Rog Strix also supports TPM 2.0, the latest Asus Bios update automatically enabled the option in the Bios.

Btw. I don't use Ilok and eLicenser so I don't know know if dongles are working with Windows 11.

The upgrade went fast, about 15 minutes and I like the appearance.
Then I started Reaper and I got an error that "Resampledmo.dll" is missing and could not get Reaper to start.
I searched for this dll in my "Windows.old" System32 folder and found it, copied the dll to the Windows 11 System32 folder and Reaper started without a hiccup.

So far everything is working nicely, the only Plugins that I could not load was SIR-Audio's Plugins but the support is great and I instantly got an updated Version from SIR.

Be careful with the new "Disks and Volume" settings. You can easily delete your Data by clicking on one of its buttons! Use the regular "Disk Management" instead.

So, far I'm satisfied.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Was Standard clip one of the plugins that stopped working ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:30 am Was Standard clip one of the plugins that stopped working ?
Yes, compatible Versions are available for download on the SIR site.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

t3toooo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:24 am Btw. I don't use Ilok and eLicenser so I don't know know if dongles are working with Windows 11.
Have a hardware ilok key and it still works a-ok after updating.

One change I had to instantly make was to get the 'old' right-click menu back in File Explorer, the truncated list version was of no use. Just one terminal command and it came back good as new (well, old!): https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... ns_11.html (using the section - 'How to Remove 'Show More Options' From the Windows 11 Context Menu - Command Prompt')

N.B. The above process is for the current public 'retail' (i.e. non-insider) builds. Apparently you could do some other tweak that didn't involve the registry to get in back in the earlier versions but that no longer works.

t3toooo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:33 am Yes, compatible Versions are available for download on the SIR site.
Just to be clear, all our plugins, even the older ones are compatible with Windows 11.
There was a certain dependency that caused that there was no compatibility with Windows N editions (which are not very common), this dependency has been removed with the new version.
SIR Audio Tools
www.siraudiotools.com

Thanks Christian,
Yes, I have the rare Windows 10/ 11 "N" Edition installed :lol: , that comes with the Media Player ( which I don't use ).
My other minor problems are probably related to the "N" Version too. Just some dll's need to be copied from the old System32 to the new System32 folder. A error message will show the name anyway, not a big deal.
Overall Windows 11 works great!
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

First time I've even heard of the 'N' edition (details here for anyone interested - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 20Recorder). ) ! How did you end up with that build, through choice or was there some legal restriction that meant you weren't able to get the 'regular' editions ?

Ah, I thought it's the other way around. I bought a Windows 10 second Hand OEM Licence, ( which is legal in Germany ). I did Install the Windows Feature Experience Pack yesterday. So now it's a Windows without "N" :D
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

My processor apparently isn’t supported by Windows 11 but I can run multiple instances of Omnisphere (16+) and never had a hiccup. Windows is a literal circus.

I use the Steinberg USB elicenser but use the software version of iLok. Hopefully those will both work.

Edit: I just found this info on the Steinberg site:
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... patibility

hoxclab wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:39 amMy processor apparently isn’t supported by Windows 11 but I can run multiple instances of Omnisphere (16+) and never had a hiccup. Windows is a literal circus.
"Not supported" doesn't mean it won't work, just that if it doesn't, they won't help you. It basically means that they have not specifically tested it with that particular CPU so they can't know for sure if it will work.

Anyway, my new laptop came with Windows 11 and so far everything I've installed has worked fine. Most of the drivers I've installed have been for Win8/10 but they work perfectly in W11, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

if your pc isn't supporting 11,
it's impossible to install 11 from 'update'

I doubt booting from an install disc would work either,
if you don't have tpm or your processor is unsupported BONES

What started as a hassle free change to Windows 11 has turned into a nightmare.

My own stupid fault for jumping too early.

There are too many issues with hardware and Windows 11. Software works fine, but CPU control on a Ryzen is all over the place.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

nix808 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:03 amI doubt booting from an install disc would work either, if you don't have tpm or your processor is unsupported BONES
Are you sure? My 2013 Surface Pro 2 had no trouble updating to W11 and machines that old were supposed to be unsupported (TPM 2 only goes back to 2015).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

no I'm not sure,
as far as I know my 2011 quick lappy has died an untimely death

Symantec and Windows have not conferred with HP,
and none of it is talking to Intel

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”