RESOLVED: Help with Audreio (Previously: Monitoring DAW through iPhone)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m positive this question has been asked a gazillion times but bizarrely I cannot find a single one.

What would be the cheapest and less intrusive (ie small) way to monitor my DAW on the iPhone speaker?

Basically I want to route my DAW into my phone to check the mix translates. I have been looking at audio interfaces but I’m unsure if they allow for direct monitoring.

Also I am aware of software that simulates this effect but I don’t trust it and would prefer the real deal.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

For checking translation issues, just render into a dropbox folder and let your phone natively play the file.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:For checking translation issues, just render into a dropbox folder and let your phone natively play the file.
That's what I do now but it takes quite a lot of time as it takes 10 - 15 mins to render a full track. I can't do this 4 or 5 times a day for example.

Airfoil can stream audio wirelessly from Desktop to iPhone.
I just don't know don't know if it can send audio from _any_ application but it indicates it can.
There is a free demo.
full version is $29

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

If its a Mac you just plug the iPhone in and enable it as an output in HighSierra.

If its windows then just get a simple two input USB interface for the iPhone and use your CCK, its realtime, nice realtime in fact, an iPad Air 2 gets lower latency in DJPP using a Traktor Audio 10 than Traktor does on a brand new i7 PC/Mac running Traktor ;)

Or you could use studiomux, personally i dont find that works too well since the devs abandoned it, like every app they make.
Duh

bungle wrote:If its a Mac you just plug the iPhone in and enable it as an output in HighSierra.

If its windows then just get a simple two input USB interface for the iPhone and use your CCK, its realtime, nice realtime in fact, an iPad Air 2 gets lower latency in DJPP using a Traktor Audio 10 than Traktor does on a brand new i7 PC/Mac running Traktor ;)

Or you could use studiomux, personally i dont find that works too well since the devs abandoned it, like every app they make.
PC here so the HighSierra option isn’t viable.

I do already have a spare audio interface so looks like all I need is the CCK. Will go shopping this week 8)

Just make sure the USB interface is class compliant.
Duh

mindnoise wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:54 pm Airfoil can stream audio wirelessly from Desktop to iPhone.
I just don't know don't know if it can send audio from _any_ application but it indicates it can.
There is a free demo.
full version is $29

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
This seemed like a great solution however after demoing it only streams to the headphone output and not the speaker. That I can work out anyway :(

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am
bungle wrote:If its a Mac you just plug the iPhone in and enable it as an output in HighSierra.

PC here so the HighSierra option isn’t viable.

I do already have a spare audio interface so looks like all I need is the CCK. Will go shopping this week 8)
Just about to order a CCK but before I do so I’d like to triple check this will allow the audio input to be heard on the iPhone’s internal speaker and not the headphone outputs right? I’m not interested in the latter.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:37 pm
Just about to order a CCK but before I do so I’d like to triple check this will allow the audio input to be heard on the iPhone’s internal speaker and not the headphone outputs right? I’m not interested in the latter.
No it won't work!

The iPhone /iOS can only address _1_ (one) audio interface. In this case either the USB-Connection that the CCK establishes _or_ the internal speakers.

In a nutshell: monitoring over the iPhone speakers will _not_ work with any audio hardware attached.

The only options I know of are wireless connections.

There is an app for this: Audreio. I just remembered since I don't use it very often.

The iPhone app is free but the Win/Mac plugin cost $25.
There is a subscription but this is only needed if you stream over the internet - not for local WIFI!

I 've set up a test session right now with the plugin in desktop DAW streaming to the iPhone (internal speaker) and it works.

https://audre.io/
Last edited by mindnoise on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

double post

mindnoise wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:02 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:37 pm
No it won't work!

The iPhone /iOS can only address _1_ (one) audio interface. In this case either the USB-Connection that the CCK establishes _or_ the internal speakers.

In a nutshell: monitoring over the iPhone speakers will _not_ work with any audio hardware attached.

The only options I know of are wireless connections.

There is an app for this: Audreio. I just remembered since I don't use it very often.

The iPhone app is free but the Win/Mac plugin cost $25.
There is a subscription but this is only needed if you stream over the internet - not for local WIFI!

I 've set up a test session right now with the plugin in desktop DAW streaming to the iPhone (internal speaker) and it works.

https://audre.io/
Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

I was so confident after reading this I bought Audreio but just cannot get it to work. The app sees the DAW (and even the camera) but it just will not receive any audio. I'm sure it's user error so so will keep on persevering.

If it works, and I'm sure it will, you sir will be my hero :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

I was so confident after reading this I bought Audreio but just cannot get it to work. The app sees the DAW (and even the camera) but it just will not receive any audio. I'm sure it's user error so so will keep on persevering.

If it works, and I'm sure it will, you sir will be my hero :tu:
Oh, sorry to hear about your trouble. Yes, Audreio seems to be a bit picky about WiFi Network Quality (QoS). Maybe it`s your Wifi router, some blocked ports or whatever. Did you try an Ad-Hoc network?

Did you try all three connection types? Receiver / Sender / Bi-directional?

If the problem persists I'd drop the dev an email (probably quicker than on the forums)

Note to self: must revisit this again tonight.

Thanks mindnoise.

mindnoise wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:49 pm Oh, sorry to hear about your trouble. Yes, Audreio seems to be a bit picky about WiFi Network Quality (QoS). Maybe it`s your Wifi router, some blocked ports or whatever. Did you try an Ad-Hoc network?

Did you try all three connection types? Receiver / Sender / Bi-directional?

If the problem persists I'd drop the dev an email (probably quicker than on the forums)
Hi, still struggling with this. I've sent the developer an email but no reply as yet so hoping I can make some progress here in the meantime.

I have the following setup:

DAW - Ableton live on PC. Audreio plugin inserted on master channel. I can hear nothing out of the master outputs presumably because Audreio is intercepting it and there's no pass through of the audio. In the centre of the screen I can see the iPhone picture with the Connect button above it. If I connect via this the phone is the audio source which is not what I'm after. In any event I'm unable to hear anything anyway. I am logged into my Audreio account on the DAW.

iPhone - Set to the same Wi-Fi network as the DAW and I can see the PC name in the Local Input options. If I try to connect it simply says "Unable to connect to 'DAW name'". There is no network issue because I'm currently streaming YouTube and typing this post, etc. I'm not logged into any Audreio account on the phone, however I have tried logging into the same account as the DAW and even created a different one, neither of which made any difference.

:help:

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”