How I use Rapid Composer with Ableton Live 9

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This post is what I do to connect Rapid Composer to Ableton Live 9 and how Rapid Composer fits into my workflow.

I am quite happy using Rapid Composer (RC) with Ableton Live ... except that I don't use RC as a VST because Live cannot route midi channels around from a single RC VST. I had a lot of trouble initially in setting this up, but Attila has done great work to remove various MIDI transmission issues, and as of 2.7 was working extremely well with Live 9.

The way I do it is I run RC as a standalone application (in Windows) and then use LoopMidi http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html to route multi-channel midi to Live. By not using RC as a VST, I can reduce my CPU loads and simply close RC once the initial idea elaboration is complete (see workflow below). When it is set up properly, RC sends the midi to Ableton which plays back the sounds directly in Live.

NOTE: When RC is in standalone mode, it's impossible to run it and Live at the same time because there is a significant delay between RC transmitting midi data to Live. This is a trade-off you have to accept because Live's channel routing limitation.

In my workflow, I always start with my chord progressions for each part, but I do this separately from RC. I could use the new chord progression editor in RC, but have a different method to figure out my chord progressions that I prefer. I then work on the grooves in Live, then import and work on each chord progression separately in RC.

I use RC to work on accompanying bass lines, synths and melodies, then when I have enough good sounding variations (2 or 3) I drag the final MIDI into Live (Ctrl-drag on each track). Those few masters get edited into several variations in Live later on. I work on drums and percussion only in Live because keeping RC and Live Drum Racks in sync is too challenging. Once midi is copied to Live; I don't need RC any more, because past this point, I have to edit various parts and make copies with variations in Live. I build up a scene sequence for each chord progression, then play it out to produce my initial arrangement. I finalize the arrangement by defining additional automation, adding filters/plugins, soundscapes and adding a variety of FX for my transitions. Once that's all done, I then work on mastering it. I use Pro Q2 because it has great EQ and Linear Phase EQ and Ozone 5 as my last step.

This is an example of the result from this workflow. It's still quite average-ish; but I'm getting better; at the time that track was released, I had been seriously producing Trance about 9 months. https://soundcloud.com/elenesski/i-understand-more

These are the steps to configure RC as a standalone to work with Ableton Live.

One Time Set Up:

(1) Create two named ports in LoopMidi ... One called "RCOut" the other "AbletonOut".
(2) Start RC and in Settings ::: Midi, set the Midi In to "AbletonOut" and Midi Out to "RCOut".
NOTE: You will run into problems if you don't have different MIDI ports for in and out
(3) Start Ableton Live in Preferences ::: MIDI Sync, on the "Input" turn on TRACK and SYNC for "RCOut".

Note: If you really want, you can support more than 16 channels from RC by having another LoopMidi port called "RCOut2", and in RC assigning the out to RCOut2 instead of RCOut.

For each track:

(4) In RC create 1 or more tracks (up to 16) and assign the midi channel to 1 to 16, as required.
(5) In Live create the same number of midi tracks as in RC, and assign "Midi From" to "RCOut" and select the Channel, then assign an appropriate instrument.
(6) IMPORTANT: You must record enable all the tracks in Live in order for midi channel data from RC to be heard.
(7) Now compose in RC.
(8) When you are happy with your RC composition, click CTRL then drag the midi from individual tracks to Live to begin your scene construction and editing process.

Cheers,
El
Uses Live 9 and lots of VSTs

Hi El,

sorry for the delay of my reply, I disappeared for a few days.
Thank you for describing your workflow, I am sure it will help others. Hopefully other Live users will comment.

I have good news: recently there has been lots of improvements in the internal sequencer which became very precise.
MIDI-only usage is possible now: you can set the audio interface to "Audio Disabled". If you use only MIDI tracks (no SF2/VSTi) the new, precise sequencer is used, which reduces the latency when playback starts, and the jitter is about +/- 300 usec.
The new sequencer does not depend on audio timing. The PLAY button turns yellow if it is used.
In addition the VST plug-in has its own sequencer, and you can choose whether the host controls playback or the local sequencer.

I will send you details in IM about how to download the latest beta version.

I liked your composition very much :tu: ; if you don't mind I'll post it in the "User Songs" topic on this forum.

Thanks a lot,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”