Book: The Art of VA Filter Design 2.1.2

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

[Edit: Dec 13, 2023 added link to the "math companion" book]

Here it is: The Art of VA Filter Design. It is based around the TPT (a.k.a. zero-delay feedback) filter design method. No preliminary filter design knowledge required.

Mirror:
https://www.discodsp.net/VAFilterDesign_2.1.2.pdf

Older revisions:
http://www.native-instruments.com/filea ... _1.1.1.pdf (NI website)
http://www.discodsp.net/VAFilterDesign_1.1.1.pdf (thanks to george for mirroring)

The book has been actually written in the last week of April, but there were some unforseen delays getting it published. In the meantime I replaced the originally used DF2 integrators with TDF2 integrators (thanks to mystran :)). It's remarkable how at the very same time the same topic got extensively discussed on KVR :)

The book text hasn't been extensively proofread, so if you spot any mistakes, the feedback is welcome. Equally, I would appreciate the mirroring of the file, in which case please drop me a note, so that I can inform you of the updates.

The ADC2018 presentation of the 2nd revision of the book is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPzCLqkQnr0

The "math companion" to the book is here https://github.com/vadim-za/math-intuition-book

Enjoy!

Regards,
Vadim
Last edited by Z1202 on Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:55 am, edited 28 times in total.

Your diode approach is interesting. :)

Specifically what I mean the signal flow graph of Figure 4.13; I never thought about it that way, even if I've written a derivation for the analog model here at some point (and at that point I remember noting that "this gives the same results as Stinchcombe" so it's not like I was the first one).

Your linear solution looks pretty much exactly as awful as mine. :P

Anyway, lots of useful content in there. Certainly explained very well and at least for me it looks like it should be reasonable easy to understand.

Z1202 wrote: The book has been actually written in the last week of April, but there were some unforseen delays getting it published. In the meantime I replaced the originally used DF2 integrators with TDF2 integrators (thanks to mystran :)).
Oh, don't thank me. Thank neotec whose idea it was. I just stole it from him. ;)

mystran wrote:
Z1202 wrote: The book has been actually written in the last week of April, but there were some unforseen delays getting it published. In the meantime I replaced the originally used DF2 integrators with TDF2 integrators (thanks to mystran :)).
Oh, don't thank me. Thank neotec whose idea it was. I just stole it from him. ;)
But it was you who drew my attention to that subject. Probably I should credit neotec too (do you happen to know his actual name?)

As requested I have mirrored the PDF at http://www.discodsp.net/VAFilterDesign.pdf

No preliminary filter design knowledge required.
are you saying that there is even a small chance that i might understand something if i attempt to read this? :shock: :pray:
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote:are you saying that there is even a small chance that i might understand something if i attempt to read this? :shock: :pray:
the book wrote:The prerequisites for the reader include familiarity with the basic DSP concepts, complex algebra and the basic ideas of mathematical analysis.
;)

:clown: :smack: then nope..

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Z1202 wrote:
mystran wrote:
But it was you who drew my attention to that subject. Probably I should credit neotec too (do you happen to know his actual name?)
No, I was wondering about it in "my own" thread.

george wrote:
antto wrote:are you saying that there is even a small chance that i might understand something if i attempt to read this? :shock: :pray:
the book wrote:The prerequisites for the reader include familiarity with the basic DSP concepts, complex algebra and the basic ideas of mathematical analysis.
;)
From quickly glancing through the text, I don't think that's as bad as it sounds. He explains everything he does quite clearly. So I think there's a chance that anyone that can write code can probably figure it out. In fact, it looks like it's easier to read than most books on traditional digital filters.

antto wrote::clown: :smack: then nope..
Just in case you didn't know,Complex Algebra doesn't mean "really really hard" Algebra,it just means Algebra with complex numbers which isn't that hard if i recall correctly (been a few years since i read it). I've yet to discover what you use it for and what it got to do with audio but i'm sure someone will tell me. :D

Looks very cool - many thanks for sharing! When did you have the time to write all this :shock:

NICE BOOK!

Thanks for adding this to the body of DSP literature!!!!

antto wrote::clown: :smack: then nope..
Hey Annto, I agree. Personally I've learn't more about filters by practical examples and comments by mystran and neotec and andy_fx, than I did reading that pdf. That being said though; I'm glad I read it - because the 30% that I understood was quite enlighting. Just looking at that diode-ladder block diagram makes me :drunk:
mystran wrote: In fact, it looks like it's easier to read than most books on traditional digital filters.
That I fully agree with.

Regards
Andrew

i looked at it
once again i realize that my brain is just incompatible with such matters
there are things i understand, and things i don't (like math)

oh well.. maybe after ~20 years.. naah

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”