GAS is a real pain

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GAS, (gear aquisition syndrome),the compulsion to buy stuff that you must have,but often never use, is a real pain,because no amount of logical thinking seems able to shift it.

There are a couple of things that I have set my heart on,but I know that once I own the said items I am likely to regret buying them. I am trying all types of mind games to try and disperse the GAS,but to date,to no avail. It seems that entering the credit card details and pressing "pay" is the only cure.

Anyone got any suggestions about how to beat this insane urge ? :help:

Donate your money to charity and go hungry for a week.

I feel the pain. I've had some GAS purchases recently. Actually, I think that I could probably do everything I need to do with 25% of what I own.

I think el-bo's thread on not buying anything new for a year is actually a good idea. I'm going to try to get thru 2018 with a minimal purchase list - I don't want to do zero purchases, as I may need a better mic, plus I love the Avenger expansions.

But, one thing that might help is to ask yourself if you're being productive in your music. For me, the "having" part has overshadowed the "creating" part. I also procrastinate, and I think there's a connection there as well. Effectively, I suspect that if I'm more creative and outputting more, the GAS will subside, and I'll look at gear as a tool, as opposed to how I look at it now, which is this:

I see gear as my own untapped potential.

I recognize that, and so I have to fix that.

Maybe your GAS issue is different. What do you think your issue is - meaning, what's the deeper, underlying issue?

You got multiple choices:

A) actually use, dive deep into the stuff you already have, get rid of anything you don't immediately love and make some music

B) realize it's only money and there's not other use for it than to spend it on shit

C) buy a bicycle instead

D) buy another bicyle

E) buy a winter bicycle

The closest solution I've come up with is to set a monthly budget for music-related purchases. You're gonna spend the money anyway, but if you stay within your budget, you will at least keep four walls and a roof over your new gear. :lol:

And if you can't fit that new piece of gear into the budget just yet, there is likely to be something new that comes out that distracts you from your current obsession. In a way, you will have saved that money just in time to buy the next new obsession!

The problem for me is I love music technology and researching it, which then leads to buying it. I am trying to focus on just using Live and Reason right now, which I know are two universes in themselves. I know that I do not need a hardware synth, but I can't help lusting after one! I agree that productivity is key though.. Use what helps you finish tracks, get rid of the rest.

Some folks are overcompensating because of their lack of knowledge (sound design/mixing/mastering), I said some, some are just chasing nuances that appears to them like big magic dragons, for the first ones there's solution and hope, to invest in their knowledge, second ones, my condolences.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

On the flip side of it, Think of how much you've spent on food, rent and car. Where is all that money gone? At least gear stays there forever. Even if you don't sell it or use it, your son may use it one day. Its value never goes to zero.

Now a good way to avoid GAS is NOT to listen to me :hihi:
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

If Gas is a real pain you should just let it out and enjoy having the room for yourself for a while :)
The other Gas i can't help you with because i am to busy buying synths :hihi:

credit card :tantrum:

I consider GAS a good thing. It is a great way to exercise self discipline. :P The current Dune 2 offer is very compelling, for example. Demoing it has once again proven that it doesn't do very much for me though. Great features and function which i'd loved to have in other synth, and the filters are definitely something, but, overall, there's just something with the sound that doesn't click with me, even when i EQ it, it's not quite there. I rather wait for Dune 3, and see if that's more to my liking. Also, maybe there'll be some mad end of the year sales after christmas, so, maybe wise to save my money for that. :)

Plugin Alliance has been taking care of my GAS - I've had about $700 of vouchers from them this year. :hyper:
Trouble is, I'm running out of stuff to get. :?

dellboy wrote:I am trying all types of mind games to try and disperse the GAS,but to date,to no avail.
You know, Mrs. elassi had the habit to buy a little tube with magic ingredients here, and a small jar with nothing less than a miracle inside there. It happened whenever she went shopping. It wasn't a problem, as she always pointed out, because any of these wonderful helpers did only cost a couple of Euros (they were small in size anyway, how could they be expensive?).

A long time I made fun of it. Kept on asking her if she feels the effect already (hours after the purchase), or if we should buy more of it to increase its impact. Even suggested to equip the bathroom with some storage racks when there was an occasion to get a lot of them for cheap money. In questions of beauty no sacrifice should be too small, no?

To make it short: Eventually I learned that I'm suffering the same pattern of belief in buying things to improve and become more 'attractive'. The truth is different though - there's always (hard) work behind success, no matter what kind of 'beautyness' you'd like to achieve.

chk071 wrote:I consider GAS a good thing. It is a great way to exercise self discipline. :P
Self discipline !

Thats what I need !

Where do I buy it ? :o

elassi wrote:
dellboy wrote:I am trying all types of mind games to try and disperse the GAS,but to date,to no avail.
You know, Mrs. elassi had the habit to buy a little tube with magic ingredients here, and a small jar with nothing less than a miracle inside there. It happened whenever she went shopping. It wasn't a problem, as she always pointed out, because any of these wonderful helpers did only cost a couple of Euros (they were small in size anyway, how could they be expensive?).

A long time I made fun of it. Kept on asking her if she feels the effect already (hours after the purchase), or if we should buy more of it to increase its impact. Even suggested to equip the bathroom with some storage racks when there was an occasion to get a lot of them for cheap money. In questions of beauty no sacrifice should be too small, no?

To make it short: Eventually I learned that I'm suffering the same pattern of belief in buying things to improve and become more 'attractive'. The truth is different though - there's always (hard) work behind success, no matter what kind of 'beautyness' you'd like to achieve.

and how many nights did you sleep on the sofa? :lol:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”