Is it possible to convert Ableton Live alp files to wave?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Google isn't really helping me on this one.
So is it possible, are there any progs out there that can do it ?(pref. free).
Or must we wait for some shady tool to appear like for Reason.
I didn't bother to check if Live lets me save samples back to wav, because I don't have Live, and 2. I hate Live.
This stupid trend of some people to only make Ableton Live Packs is really annoying!

When you import an .alp file into Live, it puts the WAV files in your library. But if you don't have Live (because you hate it?) then you obviously can't do that.
Shamanix wrote:This stupid trend of some people to only make Ableton Live Packs is really annoying!
It's not stupid or annoying if you're a Live user wanting to share with other Live users. It's a very convenient way of sharing mappings for drum kits, FX chains, instrument racks, etc.

I believe that even if you are running the demo of Live you can install .ALP files. Once installed you can move the contents where ever you like.

Looks like I'll need to go the demo route (hope it runs under Wine, I'm not installing Windows just for this)
It may not be bad for Live users, but at least the people who make packs should make say a zip file with the wavs only for us who don't use Live.
If you want to know why I hate Live, that's simple, it's the same reason I hate Cubase, I don't find it intuitive and logically laid out for my needs. In other words I hate its workflow and interface. It'll probably take me days to figure out how to get even those wavs to extract, last time I tried Live I couldn't get sound out of it for 2 hours, and when I finally did, I said screw this :hihi:
Then came the all-mighty Shift-Delete.

shamanix; which vendor is it that you chose to go with for ALP format without even owning live? i'm curious because i've yet to find any ALP aside from neon stereo from puremagnetik and the loopmasters freebies from the abes that was even worth installing. maybe i'm not looking in the right spots.

I don't know how much luck you are going to have in Linux. In Win or OSX ALPs automatically extract their contents to your library (in some cases I think you choose where to extract) so you don't even need to navigate Live to get the contents, you just need to know where the Library is installed.

I imagine that people that make their sample sets in ALP format, do so to exploit the features of Simpler, Sampler, Drum/Instrument/Effect Racks (that's why I use them) that won't translate with simple .wav files.

I can understand that Live doesn't fit your workflow but unfortunately there is no truly universal sample format. Until there is we all have to deal with proprietary BS. I just chose to buy as many samplers as I can get my hands on. YMMV. :shrug:
Last edited by justin3am on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wanted to check out these freebies
http://togeostudios.com/

There are more on the net, cause this was not the first time I bumped into something that was Ableton only. I just ignored those the first few times.

Shamanix wrote:I wanted to check out these freebies
http://togeostudios.com/

There are more on the net, cause this was not the first time I bumped into something that was Ableton only. I just ignored those the first few times.
Thanks for the word up! :D

Shamanix wrote:Looks like I'll need to go the demo route (hope it runs under Wine, I'm not installing Windows just for this)
It may not be bad for Live users, but at least the people who make packs should make say a zip file with the wavs only for us who don't use Live.
If you want to know why I hate Live, that's simple, it's the same reason I hate Cubase, I don't find it intuitive and logically laid out for my needs. In other words I hate its workflow and interface. It'll probably take me days to figure out how to get even those wavs to extract, last time I tried Live I couldn't get sound out of it for 2 hours, and when I finally did, I said screw this :hihi:
Then came the all-mighty Shift-Delete.
I admire you for saying this, I think I made a mistake getting this program only to try out the device chains that came with two issues of COMPUTER MUSIC Magazine, only to discover the projects WOULDN'T LOAD on my copy of Ableton Live 7 LE...

Its appearance is most offensive. And it's a memory hog. There are a few things to like about it, yes, but I have four or five other programs to choose from. ;)

ONE MORE THING: on the subject of sample providers creating Ableton Live Packs, I became lured by Puremagnetik and thus bought a couple of their collections. I wrote them an e-mail and praised them for their stuff, but I haven't got a reply yet...and it's been almost a month. So no, I'm not subscribing to them. Find someone else. :P

Peace to all.

Since this thread is from 2009 maybe there is an update on the subject. Does anybody know if this is already possible?

Any updates about how to do this in the meantime?

I have tried 7Zip and Universal Extractor, but they can't do it.

You need Ableton. Nothing else can open or decipher them.

Install the pack.

Find the pack in the library, select the samples you want and drag them to an audio channel in session view.

Deselect warp.

Select all clips. Right-click, choose Freeze, Right-click, choose Flatten.

Right-click, choose Show in Explorer.

Copy from the explorer location to wherever you want.

yellowmix wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:23 pmstuff
who are you responding to, the guy from 5 years ago, the guy from 8 years ago, or the guy from 12 years ago?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:lol:

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:26 pm who are you responding to, the guy from 5 years ago, the guy from 8 years ago, or the guy from 12 years ago?
Yes.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”