Rhythm Assembler, alternative take on drum sequencer, free Kontakt script (updated)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a different take on a beat machine design, it can do irregular rhythms and such...
details here

latest updated beta version here

quick overview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDpGTG_03no
Last edited by Zombie Queen on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

really interesting stuff !!!
will try later on :-) thanks

congratulations on another interesting script - been really interesting following what you do over the last few years.

Thank you. I wonder, if anyone find this beat programming approach manageable.

I've been messing around with this script and it really is unique in the sequencer realm. Kind of a stepped Euclidian. So getting down basic grooves is easy but it's just as easy for things to get out of hand.
Is it manageable? I'd say(just me) this is by far your most manageable approach to beat creation yet.
Running the midi out to acoustic drums I was able to get some grooves/loops going that sounded natural and had enough change to not sound like a basic 4 bar loop. So recording the midi out should make it possible to assemble a useable drum track for a song.
You have included beat and fill example scripts it makes me wonder? Would it be possible to add a pattern chaining, to build a song with a single script?

As always, like it or not your stuff is never boring.
Thanks for sharing

I'll look into pattern changing. I think of making pattern buttons, like A,B,C... and then maybe put them in pattern sequence, 3xA, 1xB, ... etc.

Another idea i have, is to make velocity sequence sweep, gradually rising/falling velocity within an accent step. Which, I think, would require programming accent mode per step.

So, the new build can store 6 configurations and switch between them while playing on a button click. Also, it does velocity rise/fall programmable per accent step. Interface is getting cluttered and taking advantage of new Kontakt's extended GUI height. A glimpse here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ensOROfaWTI

I'm pondering the pattern sequencing. The issue here is, where to assume the pattern end point, as each track can run different interval and repeat cycles based on different time base. I guess, it would make sense to pick the track with longest duration of interval cycle and assume end point there. So, I would need to write a function, to count and compare the effective cycle duration for each track (interval multiplied by repeat multiplied by base). Well, pattern sequencing is not straightforward in this case. While I'm pondering, you can try beta version with new functions.

The new beta is pretty much what had envisioned, the pattern switches really open up the possibilities. The only thing I couldn't find, it would be nice if you could assign a block of keys/note numbers to the pattern switches. As far as switching on the fly it seems to stay in in sync and as the loops I've put together are odd lengths switching at a pattern loop point would probably be unlikely for me. I'd be more concerned that the next pattern just started in sync with the DAW.

It's funny, I do find it hard to program some basic beats as this is a whole new way of looking at rhythm programming.
Thanks for the update.

Here's another beta update, what's changed:
- integrated automation of changing patterns by midi note,
- same for sequencer start/stop,
- sync/delay pattern change until next bar starts option, this helps to switch patterns in sync with hosts tempo, you can plan ahead switching beat variations. This needs transport running (doesn't work in standalone mode). It should work with odd time signatures, but it doesn't support signature changes within a track.
- there's "@" character appearing on tack pads, it indicates a track with longest combined cycle, I made this in preparation of pattern change sequencing, but I'm not quite sure I'm going there. There are many twists ahead in implementing this.

DOWNLOAD LINK

considered to do list:
- sync/delay option for sequencer start,
- make sync/delay work when transport is off (standalone),
- load/save patterns and pattern bank to nka file, it may be more handy to deal with than saving more and more preset files.

Had a very odd experience this evening, thought I'd mention it to see if you might have some insight.
Was playing around with Rhythm Assembler this evening in Kontakt standalone and thought I'd load it in Reaper and create some stems. I was unable to load any of the R.A. scripts (old or new) in Kontakt 3.1.0.4 / Reaper 5.33x64. Other scripts are fine.
The R.A. scripts load and work correctly in the same versions of Kontakt and Reaper 32 bit.

Somehow that just don't seem right?

It's about Kontakt version, RA needs 5.6.5. Kontakt is not so nice with script presets and it doesn't tell you you need a newer version, but just does nothing. Look at "version" number, not "import version" which is the same throughout all K5 versions.

Thanks for the quick reply, and nice catch! My x64 dll was at ver.5.6.0, corrected that and all is well.
In my defense, any self-respecting software company would put the version number in the upper right hand corner of the info box! Otherwise I'd just look like a dumbass.

As for the script I really like the update.

Thanks again

Very very cool script, thanks! :-)

Do you think it would be possible to have a "pattern sequencer" where I can set how long to play each pattern instead of starting them with Midi notes? Or did I miss this?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Would you find it useful?
I was thinking of pattern sequencer, but then I thought it might be an overdo... A feature that would take a lot of (already big) GUI and which probably nobody would ever use. Plus, it brings some implications, like which track defines pattern length and how to pick one, or what to do with "timing error" function, which would need to switch off for last pattern step, or next pattern would get misaligned... But yeas, it's possible.

I had something rather simple in mind, like a number of repetitions next to each pattern. -1 could mean not to advance at all. I agree that another huge GUI element may be a bad idea.
But not a big deal, I can also sequence it externally.

Thanks and Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”