recommend me a reverb as good as valhalla

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

its reverb buying day for me today and ive been demo'ing valhalla's reverbs over the last couple of days

is there anything better or on par with valhalla's reverbs,ive got to say im stunned with especially shimmer?

thanks

2caudio Aether or Native instruments RC48/RC24

Those are the reverbs I use, and for me its the best reverb plugins out there.

But I have heard good things about RP-Reverb also.

Try the demos.

I'd say Valhalla's plugs are easily the best bang for the buck (not meant to sound demeaning either as they are all fantastic sounding).

Agreed on The 2C-Audio verbs too (all of them) and am just getting into the NI ones.

That's pretty much my Reverb stash right there! :)

taoyoyo wrote:I'd say Valhalla's plugs are easily the best bang for the buck (not meant to sound demeaning either as they are all fantastic sounding).

Agreed on The 2C-Audio verbs too (all of them) and am just getting into the NI ones.

That's pretty much my Reverb stash right there! :)
I am using the NI reverb plugs more and more, I find it very pristine sounding. But it uses slightly more CPU than Aether.

If you want a simple interface I will definately go for the NI reverbs.

damoog wrote:
is there anything better or on par with valhalla's reverbs

Personally I don't think so, no.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

OP specifically said to stunned with Shimmer. The reverbs mentioned are great (or so I've heard), but are to my knowledge not in Shimmer territory (perhaps you could get B2 there though).
Eventide's Blackhole has similarties to Shimmer, and maybe D16 Toraverb.

Now, for Vintageverb, the NI ones are clearly in the same ballpark.

I'm a happy user of all Valhalla verbs by the way, I don't bother looking for better alternatives (that is to say, I can't justify it to myself). They may or may be not the best verbs, but the quality/price ratio is unmatched. If you like them, get them.

i don't know, but i assume definitely yes. for the same price, no way. reverb and delay are two effects that are entirely 'you get what you pay for' the more you pay, the better quality you get. theirs no good delay under 50 usd either. which would make sense seeing as how delay is so similar to reverb. there is, the diversion fx which has a killer verb for the 5 dollar asking price but its no longer available for those that didn't but the diversion fx cm mag when it was 'cm studio" there is the variety of sound epic verb which is no reverb slouch but its not on the same level as valhalla room but it is close. i never tried it, but i imagine 2c aether is much better then valhallaroom. that said, the cheap version of 2c which is breeze i tried it, and i think valhalla room even thought its 50 usd less is better then the 100 usd breeze but i cant really say as it was just a demo.

AstralExistence wrote:i don't know, but i assume definitely yes. for the same price, no way. reverb and delay are two effects that are entirely 'you get what you pay for' the more you pay, the better quality you get.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but could you please elaborate on the above statement? Because I don't get it, there's only cost of (mainly initial) labour involved, it's completely up to the vendor to choose how he redeems it. In other words, since there are no fixed costs per sold product (such as materials), there's no lower theshold to the asking price...

- apologies for the derail.

ohh, you so like shimmer the best? thats different story. in my opinion, the free reflex vst http://www.stw-audio.com/products/reflex-free/ is better then valhalla shimmer. of all the reverbs ive tried, the size of reverbs it can create are insanely huge. i think in terms of deep huge space reverbs, not even valhalla room/shimmer can be as large as reflex. its synthmaker, but so what. imo, if you want huge cave like reverbs, reflex is the best and its free. im not sure how many people actually know about reflex, but its an awesome tool for adding ambience.

If you like Shimmer some other reverbs might be too clean for you as it doesn't really matter then if they are good room simulators when what you want to color something in a thick mix. I have Shimmer and Room but find one a tad too colorful and the other clean, even if they can be adjusted each way, so maybe now thinking of Vintage where it seems covers both ends of the spectrum.

As for alternatives not mentioned, I guess ArtsAcoustic Reverb can sit with Shimmer, and also curious about the new Exponential Audio R2 too.

BDeep wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:i don't know, but i assume definitely yes. for the same price, no way. reverb and delay are two effects that are entirely 'you get what you pay for' the more you pay, the better quality you get.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but could you please elaborate on the above statement? Because I don't get it, there's only cost of (mainly initial) labour involved, it's completely up to the vendor to choose how he redeems it. In other words, since there are no fixed costs per sold product (such as materials), there's no lower theshold to the asking price...

- apologies for the derail.
'there's no lower theshold to the asking price...'

thats true but,
name a reverb under 50 usd that is better then valhalla room. name a delay that is noticeably better then the freeware alternatives under 50 usd. they dont exist.

I think the only competition for a Valhalla reverb is the other Valhalla reverbs.

You're making me want to try Shimmer now though. I have Room and Ubermod and use them a ton...

AstralExistence wrote:ohh, you so like shimmer the best? thats different story. in my opinion, the free reflex vst http://www.stw-audio.com/products/reflex-free/ is better then valhalla shimmer. of all the reverbs ive tried, the size of reverbs it can create are insanely huge. i think in terms of deep huge space reverbs, not even valhalla room/shimmer can be as large as reflex. its synthmaker, but so what. imo, if you want huge cave like reverbs, reflex is the best and its free. im not sure how many people actually know about reflex, but its an awesome tool for adding ambience.
+1

I use Eventide Blackhole for very large reverbs but most tracks and mixes use Valhalla DSP Vroom or Valhalla Vintage. The only things that made be choose Blackhole over Shimmer was the brand and GUI. I could not make my mind up on the sound quality.

You get more algorithms with the Valhalla plugins. Eventide Blackhole is just one algorithm from the Space hardware reverb.

To me Valhalla plugins are £80 plugins that are always on sale at around £30
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

erickUO wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:ohh, you so like shimmer the best? thats different story. in my opinion, the free reflex vst http://www.stw-audio.com/products/reflex-free/ is better then valhalla shimmer. of all the reverbs ive tried, the size of reverbs it can create are insanely huge. i think in terms of deep huge space reverbs, not even valhalla room/shimmer can be as large as reflex. its synthmaker, but so what. imo, if you want huge cave like reverbs, reflex is the best and its free. im not sure how many people actually know about reflex, but its an awesome tool for adding ambience.
+1
To me Reflex is not better than Shimmer...Apple and orange, Shimmer has a pitchshifter in its core, and different stereo spread algos. It's not only made for huge spaces even if it can create lush reverberations. But Reflex is definitely a secret weapon that deserves more attention imo.

Return to “Effects”