Brainworx bx-rooMS - New Reverb Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Brainworx, the company that invented M/S processing...

"..from leading m/s developer." How ridiculous is that? A process that is incredibly simple to achieve (anybody can do it with a real mixing desk or virtual channel strips in their DAW. It's been used for more than half a century and then these people come along and market it as something special.

Man.. I just loathe this company. :?

EDIT: And judging from the demo video, I'm not impressed. Granted, one needs to try the demo to give any final verdict but I don't think my Valhalla collection or Phoenix Verb is in any danger of being dethroned.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Well they do incorporate M/S into their plugin designs (most developers don't) and they make it very easy to access so some small credit is deserved.
bmanic wrote:"..from leading m/s developer." How ridiculous is that? A process that is incredibly simple to achieve (anybody can do it with a real mixing desk or virtual channel strips in their DAW. It's been used for more than half a century and then these people come along and market it as something special.

EDIT: And judging from the demo video, I'm not impressed. Granted, one needs to try the demo to give any final verdict but I don't think my Valhalla collection or Phoenix Verb is in any danger of being dethroned.

@Liero: It was Alan Dower Blumlein... :-P ;-)

LLS, it seems like a good alternative, but there is too much hyperbole here.

So, anyone else tried it? What do you think about it compared to competitors offers?

bmanic wrote:"..from leading m/s developer." How ridiculous is that? A process that is incredibly simple to achieve (anybody can do it with a real mixing desk or virtual channel strips in their DAW. It's been used for more than half a century and then these people come along and market it as something special.

Well, they certainly didn't invent it but they were the first company which put it in a plug-in and keep it in all their Brainworx line so yeah, in some degree they're pioneers in m/s.

^Agree. For me the first time I heard about M/S was because of a bx_... plugin. And I like Brainworx and PluginAlliance a lot. Pretty puzzled by bmanic's hate towards them...

Mercado_Negro wrote:

Well, they certainly didn't invent it but they were the first company which put it in a plug-in and keep it in all their Brainworx line so yeah, in some degree they're pioneers in m/s.
THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!

That's why I hate them so much. This such friggin BS that it makes me mad. Just because they ADVERTISED and kept lying about it has obviously changed the public perception but this is not at all true.

Voxengo had his MSED plugin out a LONG TIME before that. There were also multiple freeware plugins that included Mid/Side processing of one or another kind.

Holy hell.. seriously people? You believe the brainworx story now? They deserve zero credit for it and it pisses me off that they have been able to persuade you guys.

EDIT: I even remember calling them out on their bullshit when they released their first ever plugin with M/S processing, ridiculing them for the words they used and the obvious marketing of something that is completely trivial to achieve. It's almost like creating a synth and saying "For the first time a filter that cuts out high frequencies and is variable in it's cutoff.. we call it Low Pass Filter!". :roll:

e@rs wrote:^Agree. For me the first time I heard about M/S was because of a bx_... plugin. And I like Brainworx and PluginAlliance a lot. Pretty puzzled by bmanic's hate towards them...
It's this very reason. They took something that is trivial, very simple to do and has been known and used for decades and invented long long time ago.. and used it as a marketing gimmick.

They aggressively fought with the marketing and kept mentioning their m/s stuff as being the only player in town. Quite a few people called them out on their bullshit on various forums but they did what any company does when they want to drive lies trough: They kept repeating it over and over.

Obviously it has worked.

I just hate it how people can take a very simple and thoroughly used and known concept and decide: "I invented this" and then get the masses to actually believe it.

Ignorance is bliss, eh? Okay.. enough for this. I've said my piece. See you in the next Brainworx thread.

20th December 2004
Voxengo MSED v1.0:
MSED is a mid/side encoder/decoder plug-in which encodes (splits) the incoming stereo signal into two components: mid/side or, alternatively, mono/stereo pair, and vice versa: decodes mid/side signal pair into stereo signal.
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/voxengo_up ... g_ins_2748

--------

Dirk Ulrich, Brainworx:
This is how it all started: I remember sitting in a studio in Russia a few years ago, producing an album featuring James LaBrie (of "Dream Theater") and running into a serious problem with one of the mixes we had to finish. The only way to solve it was to use M/S technology, and we went nuts to setup an M/S EQ in the analog mixing room, but somehow we did and it worked just great. "I wished there was a plug-in EQ with M/S features…"
When I came back to Germany I started the layout of the concept that would eventually become the bx_digital V1 plugin and the bx_1 analog EQ later on.

Creamware asked me if I'd be interested in making this a commercial plugin, and they'd help me to finalize the project. This was around 2005, I guess. So all of the sudden, I had a Creamware plugin that they started selling and I went with them to the NAMM show in California.
http://www.kvraudio.com/interviews/an-i ... rich-34111
http://www.kvraudio.com/developer/brainworx

^Dirk didn't actually said he invented M/S...

@bmanic: I honestly don't care who invented M/S or about the truncated truth in PA's marketing. I care about useful plugins. And they more often than not deliver.

Hmmm... I've listened to all the demos on their website. Honestly, I'm not blown away (and I usually love their stuff).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Effects”