Blue Cat's "Free Amp" [1.1] plug-in released - 100% Free Guitar Amp Simulation Plug-In

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF
3664 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 am

Dear KVR members,

We are very excited to unleash Blue Cat's Free Amp, a new free guitar amp simulation plug-in.

Using the same modeling technology behind the Destructor and Axiom software, Blue Cat's Free Amp offers 3 amp models for a wide range of guitar tones: the plug-in can produce pristine clean tones, subtle crunches or heavy distortion depending on the amp model and the settings dialed with the guitar-friendly tone controls. It includes two dozens of factory presets to get started, and additional free presets are available for download on the our website.

The plug-in is available as a free download on bluecataudio.com. It is 100% free and does not require any registration or dongle to run without any limitation.

Main Features:
- Free guitar amp simulation plug-in.
- 3 amp models inspired by legendary amplifiers: "classic clean", "classic drive" and "modern drive".
- Simulations based on the Destructor dynamic distortion and amp modeling engine.
- No latency.

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.7 or newer.
- PC running Windows Vista or newer.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Blue Cat Audio on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkStar
KVRAF
8710 posts since 2 Sep, 2003 from Surrey, UK

Re: Blue Cat's "Free Amp" plug-in released - 100% Free Guitar Amp Simulation Plug-In

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 am

That's a good move :) - it'll entice more people to try out the related plug-ins.

Perhaps you could change the name on the GUI to "Amp 3" rather than "Free Amp" as the latter would keep reminding me of my tightwadiness ;)
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5946 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: Blue Cat's "Free Amp" plug-in released - 100% Free Guitar Amp Simulation Plug-In

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:12 am

DarkStar wrote:That's a good move :) - it'll entice more people to try out the related plug-ins.

Perhaps you could change the name on the GUI to "Amp 3" rather than "Free Amp" as the latter would keep reminding me of my tightwadiness ;)
Maybe that's the plan: shame you into buying the full versions.

DarkStar
KVRAF
8710 posts since 2 Sep, 2003 from Surrey, UK

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:56 am

:tu:
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...

Tappistry
KVRian
1194 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
DarkStar wrote:That's a good move :) - it'll entice more people to try out the related plug-ins.

He's right. Buying Axiom or Destructor would fix that problem. :D

Russell Grand
KVRAF
1656 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:18 am

:hyper:

heavymetalmixer
KVRist
332 posts since 8 Jan, 2017

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am

And here I thought that TSE, Le Pou, Mercuriall, Nick Crow Lab and Ignite Amps were enough . . . there's always the chance to be wrong :v

Russell Grand
KVRAF
1656 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:40 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:

Lol. Exactly.

glokraw
KVRAF
6675 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am

This is a great release. It will bring in some new customers,
and more fans = more fun, and more good music.
There is a link to their free plugin collection, in the column
on the left of the page, which some downloaders
may have missed over the years. Really top quality items.

But there is an existing Free Amp plugin from Fretted Synth Audio,
quite a nice one, actually, and I think a name-change would be
appropriate. I think your naming department :dog: failed :dog:
to push the envelope this time, after a pretty good run on the
other great releases. :hihi:

Axiom owners may even find it easier to load
these as vsts for quick gain-staging, rather than menu-dive
for the same amps in the full version. (Still hoping
for a 'Wiggle' style preset manager in future Axiom versions.)
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glokraw
KVRAF
6675 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:25 pm

What, the qwerty arrow keys turn the amp knobs?!
Pretty cool, please don't tell me I should have
read _all_ of the Axiom manual :( :dog:

operandx
KVRist
305 posts since 30 Apr, 2003 from West Dorset, UK

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:45 pm

Are you supposed to put an cab IR after this or does it have cab modelling in it?
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

GaryG
KVRAF
5717 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:17 pm

operandx wrote:Are you supposed to put an cab IR after this or does it have cab modelling in it?
I can't see that mentioned anywhere (certainly no controls) but I think it does, I can't get that death-by-treble sound you get without a cab normally.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

soulone82
KVRian
895 posts since 16 Aug, 2010 from almost everywhere...

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Blue Cat Audio wrote: It is 100% free and does not require any registration or dongle to run without any limitation.
:hug:

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF
3664 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 pm

operandx wrote:Are you supposed to put an cab IR after this or does it have cab modelling in it?
There is indeed a built-in cab simulation (different for each amp model). No need to add a cab IR after the plug-in. Also, the tone controls (Bass, Mid, Treble, Tone) will affect the amp+cab response, just like with the post filter section of Destructor.

Return to “Effects”