MIX CHALLENGE - MC21 May 2016 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Compyfox
KVRAF
14269 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Hello and welcome to the KVR Mix Challenge 21 - May 2016

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (source files, submission information, sponsors), start of the evaluation process and the first post for re-submissions for Mix Round 2.

This month, we're delving once more into the rock genre. Thanks to longtime KVR resident Muzik 4 Machines and one of his side projects "The MILFshakers" - hopefully that is not too too offensive. Either way, this month's genre is Grunge / Stoner Rock, and you'll have the chance to re-amp DI tracks again.

Please take note of the following
  • as of MC17, the rule set has been overhauled/simplified - please take note of them in the Rules and Guidelines thread.
  • our Twitter Account can be found via the handle @MixChallenge
  • a newsletter is in the making (we'll inform you separately), it's planned to be sent out bi-monthly

Also Important:
  • We're desperately looking for new source material for future Mix Challenges. Our pool is in constant fear of running dry. Please follow our official campaign for this in the Music Cafe. No new tracks, no more challenges!
  • Please also spread the word on your preferred social media platform. Our Twitter Account is already a good start

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information, Source Files, Sponsors
Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Results of the Mix Challenge 21: Winners announced
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]

Compyfox
KVRAF

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC21 May 2016 - Submissions until 21-05-2016 11:59pm CEST/GMT+1

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:55 pm

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 01st May 2016 to Saturday, 21st May 2016 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-05-2016, 11:59pm CEST/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice. If you want to find out when that is the case at your place, please use the following tool and and select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

Song Provider: The MILFshakers (KVR Profile)
Song Name and Length: Beer Bottles, 5:33min
Song Information: 98 bpm, time signature 4/4
File Format: AIFF, 44kHz, 24bit

GENRE: Grunge / Stoner Rock

Preview of the Song:
https://soundcloud.com/milfshakers/beer-bottles

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:A word from the song provider:

So, what do I want, as your client?

I want to see your creative juices flowing. You don´t need to stick to a special mix style. Also you can add some details into the track, but don´t get carried away. Always keep in mind, that this is not a Remix Challenge. The song should stay as it is, if you think the overall mix would profit from some details here and there, then this is ok.

I already cleared some ugly frequencies from most of the melodic stems. But I didn´t tidy up everything. Watch out for those parts!

This is stoner grunge, the guitar are the center of attention but the lead is the synth. I provided DI tracks for reamping. There is no need to use as much distortion as the originals if you don't feel like it, i'm pretty sure it could also work with semi crunchy guitars

The synths need to be "space-ey", delay, reverb, what have you

If you have any questions, please ask in the KVR thread, so everyone can read it. I don´t want to answer questions through PM or eMail. So, please stick to the official KVR thread. I´ll try to answer as quickly as possible.

BONUS INFO:
Regarding the Key, i don't think there is actually a real key, but here are the notes for the 2 sections
verse F# C# B C#
chorus B A# F#

DI track notes
- Guit 1 used a Boss DS1 and hyper fuzz (super fuzz style)
- guit 2 used a power driver (muff in a cranked marshall style)
- guit wha used a crybaby and power driver

Bass:
- some FZ-2

Pedals used:
Boss DS1, FZ-2 (mode II) and PW-2
Dunlop DB-01 "Dimebag" Cry Baby from Hell
Boss PW-10 V-Wah

There are several folders in the package, appropriately tagged. So reamping is possible. If you simply want to concentrate on mixing, it´s fine to use the stems from the wet folder. (Of course, you can use a mixture of both, if you want to)

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:
Staff (Compyfox) wrote:This is a Grunge/"Stoner Rock" type track. Be creative with it, or go straight forward grungy from mid 90ies to early 2000s.

Due to the DI tracks, you can add as little / tasteful distortion as you want, or you can go all out prior to hitting a guitar amp. Please take note of the used pedals above as possible guide.

Some tracks definitely NEED declipping. So have an eye (and ear) out for that.
Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below. There you can find more information about the individual files and changes to the time signature.

Special Add-On Rules:
  • try to create a mix that complements this production (in your own style)
  • Alternative versions can be used if you need more flexibility over a certain sound
  • No rearrangement of the song structure
  • try to not(!) pre-master the track (please no overuse of mix bus treatment)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on Studio Compyfox (772,76 MB, LZMA compressed)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 1260 MB, packed 772,76 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation, Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Mix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for mix participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Acon Digital is kind enough give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
License will turn into NFR
More info on Acon Digital: http://acondigital.de

Ghostwave Audio (KVR User Karten) is kind enough to donate MixRight (a Reaktor Ensemble) to the winner (until further notice)
License won't turn into NFR, you need Native Instruments Reaktor 5.8+ for this
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com/

JRR Shop will give away a free copy of Audiffex/Audified STA Preamp (until further notice)
More info about the plugins on Audiffex (now known as Audified): http://shop.audified.com/
More info about the sponsor: http://www.jrrshop.com/

Metric Halo will give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
More info about Metric Halo: http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/

Nyrv Systems offers AGENT incl. all currently available NyrvDevices and free update to at least v1.5 of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info about Nyrv Systems: http://www.nyrvsystems.com/

Sound and Graphic, KVR user and Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

Tone2 is kind enough to donate either a bundle consisting of AkustiX Enhancer and WarmVerb, or a license of Ultraspace to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

Two Notes Audio Engineering is kind enough to donate one license of Torpedo Wall of Sound III to the winner, loaded with 57 cabinets (equivalent to "Torpedo WoS II") (donation until Q3 2016)
License will not turn into NFR
More info on Two Notes: http://www.two-notes.com/en/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on mix plugins, bundles and the likes), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Did you know that there are even more contests / competitions / challenges here on KVR Audio? Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/MixChallenge

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]

Muzik 4 Machines
KVRAF
7808 posts since 6 Oct, 2003 from Quebec

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC21 May 2016 - Submissions until 21-05-2016 11:59pm CEST/GMT+1

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm here :)

blob 59
KVRist
211 posts since 20 Oct, 2011 from U.K.

Post Sun May 01, 2016 1:53 am

I am struggling aligning the various length audio and files on the timeline, finding the 'dense' grunginess of the complete mix provided confusing , with identifying Tom and Kick transients difficult with everything else going on. This is not a criticism of the track, more an admission my critical listening skills are poor. I really want to do justice to the performers' musicianship and to avoid a result which is insulting, particularly to the bassist and drummer.

As a MC 'newbie' I suppose I was naive expecting everything to commence neatly at 0'00'', as I read recommended in the hobby press when working with stems. I guess that in real world scenarios, which the contest aims to copy, this adjusting parts to fit the timeline is the initial stage? Or would it be more economic for the mix engineer to request time aligned stems or more timing data from the client so the precise beginning times could quickly be dialled in?

Is there any further information available regarding the timing to help assemble the tracks? Without this personally I doubt I have keen enough listening skills to bring together a half listenable starting point, let alone a satisfactory finished pre-master. A shame as I like the song.

Muzik 4 Machines
KVRAF
7808 posts since 6 Oct, 2003 from Quebec

Post Sun May 01, 2016 5:57 am

make sure there is no warping, i just downloaded the pack and everything aligns perfectly in live, logic and reaper

Compyfox
KVRAF

Post Sun May 01, 2016 6:36 am

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge.
blob 59 wrote:I am struggling aligning the various length audio and files on the timeline, finding the 'dense' grunginess of the complete mix provided confusing , with identifying Tom and Kick transients difficult with everything else going on. ...

As a MC 'newbie' I suppose I was naive expecting everything to commence neatly at 0'00'', as I read recommended in the hobby press when working with stems. I guess that in real world scenarios, which the contest aims to copy, this adjusting parts to fit the timeline is the initial stage? Or would it be more economic for the mix engineer to request time aligned stems or more timing data from the client so the precise beginning times could quickly be dialled in?

Is there any further information available regarding the timing to help assemble the tracks? ...
Since this topic pops up a lot recently, I addressed this in the "Gossip Thread" for further discussion:
viewtopic.php?p=6452784#p6452784

But let me put your mind at ease:
  • all tracks are aligned to bar 1
  • the tracks don't have equal length due to the host (where this project was created in) automatically discarding "useless data post last signal), not every host does this, neither does it affect any track alignments
  • always try to turn off warping, time stretching, musical mode (Cubase!), etc
I check every project for integrity prior to "finalizing" and uploading, since we had one project in earlier days that was indeed offset. It's part of the quality check.

Hope that helps, have fun mixing and good luck.

NukeArts
KVRist
94 posts since 3 Dec, 2015

Post Sun May 01, 2016 11:15 am

Compyfox wrote: I check every project for integrity prior to "finalizing" and uploading, since we had one project in earlier days that was indeed offset. It's part of the quality check.
appreciate that

NukeArts
KVRist

Post Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 pm

https://soundcloud.com/nukearts/nukeart ... impression

let's rock :)

ps: thank you for the di stuff.... very generous from you.

NukeArts
KVRist

Post Thu May 05, 2016 8:01 am

I have to admit that I did not follow the rules with this contribution. I was not aware of the rules for the moment. This track has a multiband compressor and a limiter in the master. that is not tolerated. But this is not even a contribution. I just wanted to share.

So to be fair. here is that same track again with K-20 and the 32bit float wav and without anything on the master:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3k5CY ... sp=sharing
ist turned down the master and deactivated the master plugins for this mix.

this is not my final mix for this competion ;)

best greetings, nukearts

photonic
KVRian
531 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Post Sat May 07, 2016 1:28 am

Hi all,

Here is my mix of this track. Honestly, I do not know this genre. So I was not sure how to balance the instruments. I did it to my taste.
I used the DI signal from the two guitars and reamped them.
A lot of work was necessary for the toms. They have a very high transient and resonance tone. I reduced both to make the toms sound more natural.

MP3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... otonic.mp3
WAV: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... otonic.wav
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Compyfox
KVRAF

Post Sat May 07, 2016 8:08 am

Okay - now I'm stepping in...

NukeArts:
CONSULT AND READ THE RULES, PLEASE!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=415154 - linked in the first two posts of this thread as well.

This challenge has a concept for a reason:
You mix the track, take your time with it (within given time frame of 21 days), listen to the track AFTER you're done with mixing, then submit once and only once. After that, wait for the evaluation if you get into Round 2, then overhaul your mix, listen to the track AFTER you're done mixing, then submit once again.

Seeing as this is your third submission so far, saying "this is not final", I'll now issue an official warning.

Once more, please read the rules. If you still fail to stick to them, you're disqualified for this month.

NukeArts
KVRist

Post Sat May 07, 2016 8:18 am

Compyfox wrote:Okay - now I'm stepping in...

NukeArts:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=415154 - linked in the first two posts of this thread as well.

You mix the track, take your time with it (within given time frame of 21 days), listen to the track AFTER you're done with mixing, then submit once and only once. After that, wait for the evaluation if you get into Round 2, then overhaul your mix, listen to the track AFTER you're done mixing, then submit once again.

Seeing as this is your third submission so far, saying "this is not final", I'll now issue an official warning.

Once more, please read the rules. If you still fail to stick to them, you're disqualified for this month.
I thaught you like transparency and the learning/growing curve. I step back from behaviour so far. Sorry for the bias.

i have removed everything and give you the endresult.

NukeArts
KVRist

Post Sat May 07, 2016 8:22 am

NukeArts wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Okay - now I'm stepping in...

NukeArts:

I thaught you like transparency and the learning/growing curve. I step back from behaviour so far. Sorry for the trouble.

i have removed everything and give you the endresult.

Compyfox
KVRAF

Post Sat May 07, 2016 8:28 am

NukeArts wrote:I thaught you like transparency and the learning/growing curve. I step back from behaviour so far. Sorry for the trouble.
It is just as transparent and a learning curve if you stick to the rules. This is why they exist.

NukeArts wrote:i have removed everything and give you the endresult.
Remember - the entry is final.

Also... the EDIT button is to the top right of your posts.

Return to “Production Techniques”