bitwig 2 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Catalyzer MeowSynth

ladies, gentleman and cats, the time has come, Bitwig 2 is here. Let the cat photo wars begin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tvDJTUoHkc

https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio ... dio-2.html
dedication to flying

And a new pricing model

12 MONTHS OF FREE UPGRADES
Alongside the announcement of Bitwig Studio 2 we are also introducing a new license model.
Starting with the release of Bitwig Studio 2, you’ll get 12 months of free upgrades and updates with your purchase. This plan also includes email support.
After the 12 months, you can renew your upgrade plan at an attractive and affordable price.
The following FAQ section should answer any questions about our new license model. If anything is still unclear, we're more than happy to answer any questions, just drop us a line at www.bitwig.com/support.

Why is this upgrade plan better than our previous model?
We will be able to release key features as they are ready - instead of holding them back for major releases. This enables us to offer you new feature and content updates more regularly.
Additionally, if you're a new customer, you won't need to worry about any potential upcoming releases when buying your license, as any software upgrade (or update) will be free of charge within the first 12 months - from the day you registered it in your Bitwig user account.
How much will the renewal of the 12 month upgrade plan cost?
159 EUR / 169 USD*. The upgrade plan includes all updates and upgrades - also major ones - released during the time period.
Can I continue using the software when my upgrade plan expires?
Yes, you can. This is not a subscription; you own a perpetual license. The upgrade plan is only required if you want access to the latest version, after the 12-month period that comes with your initial purchase has expired.
Does Bitwig Studio now come at an annual cost of the upgrade price?
No, you can wait to renew your license, until you discover a new feature you like in the latest version of Bitwig Studio - and then get back on board again.
Will my upgrade plan renew automatically?
No. Four weeks before your upgrade plan ends, you'll be notified with details on how to renew it.
dedication to flying

Nice. :tu: :tu:

I wonder if all of the glass half empty guys moaning in their forum about nothing happening with it, development being dead, will come back now and say they obviously had no real clue what they were talking about?

Nah... that never happens. :hihi:

Cat pics commence. .. . :hihi:

fedexnman wrote:Cat pics commence. .. . :hihi:
Subscription cat? :hihi:

LawrenceF wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Cat pics commence. .. . :hihi:
Subscription cat? :hihi:
Where's @hibidy when you need em ... :hihi:

You could be a beta tester

https://www.bitwig.com/en/17/beta-signup-form.html
The upgrade from Bitwig Studio 1 to Bitwig Studio 2 is priced at 159 EUR / 169 USD.
Bitwig Studio 2 is coming February 28th, 2017, and will be priced at 379 EUR / 399 USD.

The upgrade is free for anyone who purchased Bitwig Studio 1 on, or after, December 10th, 2016.

Not too thrilled by the new license model unless they can really deliver on those feature upgrades. Also effectively means there's never any 'upgrade pricing' which has usually been my excuse to upgrade. They'd still have regular sales though probably.

But I'm excited to see what they have.

I'm ok with the subscription model, but I'd have hoped for something around 100 euros/year.
It seems a bit expensive for something I use as a hobbyist.

Bitwig 1 launched March 26, 2014. So those buying it then got 2 years and 11 months of upgrades (v2 shipping Feb 28, 2017).

So it will become more expensive to be a Bitwig owner, as v2 will only give updates for 12 months before having to add more money to stay up to date.

Numanoid wrote:Bitwig 1 launched March 26, 2014. So those buying it then got 2 years and 11 months of upgrades (v2 shipping Feb 28, 2017).

So it will become more expensive to be a Bitwig owner, as v2 will only give updates for 12 months before having to add more money to stay up to date.
Good arithmetic :tu: Yes, I agree with you. The upgrade price is steeper, for what is on offer. A subscription should be around 100,00 IMO
Fernando (FMR)

Those buying v2 at launch, will have to pay the same upgrade fee that v1 owners pay to upgrade to v2 now, Feb 28, 2018, to stay up to date
How much will the renewal of the 12 month upgrade plan cost?
159 EUR / 169 USD*. The upgrade plan includes all updates and upgrades - also major ones - released during the time period.
*Prices are subject to change without notice.
Last edited by Numanoid on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I really like Bitwig and the team , and a part of it has been seeing them grow and ultimately fix to a reasonable standard the latest version. There have been a crazy number of versions and bug fixes over three years to get this far, which is great. Kudos to them. It seems a bit odd to now limit the update to 12 months ? This is assuming that all bugs are squashed in the new version in that time period ? Great aspiration but very difficult. The reasoning is to release major features immediately , which in theory sounds great, but releasing major features on a rolling basis introduces all kinds of issues and bugs with each one added.

There is a logic in releasing the major new features at once and then fixing issues as they come up within a reasonable time limit.

Any way good luck to them
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Why is this upgrade plan better than our previous model?
We will be able to release key features as they are ready - instead of holding them back for major releases. This enables us to offer you new feature and content updates more regularly.
How many major releases have there been of Bitwig so far? I know of v1

So what key features will they hold back that is not included in next major release v2 ?

Shandar wrote:I'm ok with the subscription model, but I'd have hoped for something around 100 euros/year.
It seems a bit expensive for something I use as a hobbyist.
It's not strictly a subscription model as you own it outright. However it seems to blur the lines with its update pricing structure.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”