The Dawn Of New Daws - DaVinci Resolve 14 Fairlight Audio -

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, sort of :D...but it is certainly heading in that direction which is rather exciting for a music producer.

I just bought myself my first proper camcorder in the past week to get really creative with the music I've produced over the past few years which is gonna be be cool.

All I need to do is buy a new graphics card for music production too because my almost 8 year old Nvidia Pailit GTS 250 1 Gig Graphics card isn't going to work with this... And that's something that I didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying... :lol:

I wonder if I can get Studio One 3.5 Pro to work with it humm..

There's the free version which is impressive for what you get and a paid for version...and supported on 3 platforms. Fusion 9 is another amazing product, it's like Adobe After Effects but using nodes. Both products are fully functional, unrestricted and with no watermarks as well as providing saveable files. Certain features are restricted for the pay for versions, but are typically features you won't really miss unless you need a feature for a specific purpose.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... /fairlight
Audio is no longer an afterthought in post production! Sound elevates the emotional impact of the picture with stirring scores, clear dialog and incredible effects that make us feel like we’re part of the story. Now, for the first time ever, professional audio post production is fully integrated into a single application that gives sound editors, colorists, and video editors everything they need to seamlessly collaborate and create films and television shows that will be remembered for generations to come!
3D Audio Soundspace
Work with advanced spatial audio formats!

Fairlight audio features built in 3D audio support for working with spatial formats such as 5.1, 7.1, DTS multi dimensional array, Dolby and even 22.2. You get a 3D panner to position sound in space, 3D B-chain processing and 3D Spaceview visualization which provides a clear view of each object’s location in space. AirPan, which is exclusive to Fairlight consoles, allows you to reach out in space to place sounds where you want. Simply move your fingers in the air to pan, rotate, move and spread sound!
Full Automation
Record automation for virtually any parameter, even plug ins!

Comprehensive clip-aware automation includes touch, trim, slow-mo, preview and fill modes. In addition to automating traditional parameters such as pan, level and EQ, Fairlight audio lets you record changes in every single parameter during live playback! You can even automate changes in VST plug in parameters over time!
Advanced Monitoring
Incredibly flexible monitoring lets you choose between multiple speaker sets!

The advanced Fairlight monitoring system handles buses up to 24 channels wide. Sources can be selected from internal buses or external inputs and sent out to 16 different sets of speakers! You also get customizable fold-up and fold-down when crossing between formats. For example, if you’re monitoring 5.1 on a pair of stereo speakers, it automatically folds down for output to 2 channels. For cinematic setups, you can add an optional B-Chain processor for installations with up to 64 speakers!
Powerful Mixing
Create complex compositions and multiple delivery formats!

Each track corresponds to a channel strip on the mixer. You get real time 6 band parametric EQ, along with expander/gate, compressor and limiter dynamics on every single track. In addition, clip time warping lets you stretch or compress audio without shifting pitch. It works at the subframe level for absolutely perfect synchronization! The powerful busing structure has several main, sub, and aux buses so you can prepare multiple deliverable formats all at the same time!
Extensive Metering
See all sources and bus outputs at a glance

The Fairlight audio page in DaVinci Resolve 14 provides extensive metering of all sources in your project. In addition to sources, you can also meter sub and aux bus outputs as well as view compound meters with phase and loudness.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... /fairlight

Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

been messing around w/ this for a couple weeks ...
haven't formed an opinion yet ...

bit of a learning curve , for me ...

No MIDI, no thanks. Besides I've got my hands full learning to use Cubase 9.5 Pro I just bought last week.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

summer2000 wrote:No MIDI, no thanks. Besides I've got my hands full learning to use Cubase 9.5 Pro I just bought last week.
Funny, sounds like something you would hear from someone when they were told about Reason before it got actual audio tracks. :D Still, the prospect of using VST instruments with a conventional piano roll note editor / functions like we have already in other daws, isn't something to rule out. Maybe in a year or two...The groundwork for the VST protocol is already in place... :wink:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Yep, my recommendation is that you should try and get a really high-end graphics card if you want to work with DaVinci Resolve. The thing really requires a beast of a GPU to run well..

A few years ago I was using Resolve, I had a Nvidia GTX 970 which, at the time, was only surpassed by the 980, 980Ti and Titan, and to be honest it was a painful experience, Resolve was so slow and sluggish. Resolve relies heavily on GPU power.

I don't know if they have optimized or improved it since, but if my experience is anything to go by, you will want at the very least a GTX 1070, but to be honest, you probably should get a GTX 1080 or even the 1080Ti.

experimental.crow wrote:been messing around w/ this for a couple weeks ...
haven't formed an opinion yet ...

bit of a learning curve , for me ...
Good to know, let us know when you have and what hardware you've been using with it when you have.
ozmuso67 wrote:Yep, my recommendation is that you should try and get a really high-end graphics card if you want to work with DaVinci Resolve. The thing really requires a beast of a GPU to run well..

A few years ago I was using Resolve, I had a Nvidia GTX 970 which, at the time, was only surpassed by the 980, 980Ti and Titan, and to be honest it was a painful experience, Resolve was so slow and sluggish. Resolve relies heavily on GPU power.

I don't know if they have optimized or improved it since, but if my experience is anything to go by, you will want at the very least a GTX 1070, but to be honest, you probably should get a GTX 1080 or even the 1080Ti.
The way things are in the graphics card market in terms of performance v price, isn't really in the buyers favor right now, especially in the price bracket for those cards you've suggested. My machine uses a Intel I7 920 CPU and I've got a price bracket from somewhere £100 to £180 max. The card I'm using now only cost £90 back in 2009, so it's done amazingly well to this day. I'm probably going for something like this which should be a huge boost over what I have without breaking the bank https://www.ebuyer.com/761923-gigabyte- ... gaming-4gd

The only real issue I have with Resolve version 12.5, is that timeline playback is pretty sticky with video. So if this is fixed with the claimed 10x improvement with the new engine, it could be really good. I do know that Fusion 9 works well on my current card whilst playing back, so it could have adopted it's engine.

I also use 3D rendering software such as Cinema 4D R11.5, so that should get a nice kick in viewport performance. I'm not planning to work at 4K resolutions just yet, it's just a Full HD cam I have for my conservative needs, but I could work at 4K if I needed to.

The integration of Fairlight Audio to provide DAW like features... and to this level with a fully blown professional video editor, is really intriguing though. If we get full midi functionality similar to what Studio One 3.5 currently has, and for it to be provided for free as it currently is, it could be somewhat of a parabolic shift...that goes beyond what other have tried but failed to do in this area.

Yes, that card should be ok. I just found that my GTX 970 didn't cut it in terms of working with Resolve, everything was clunky and slow, and I was only working with 1080p video as well.

You could always email Blackmagic Design and tell them your budget, and ask them which graphics card is the best bang-for-your-buck for use with Resolve, they used to have recommendations on their website in terms of minimum required and recommended.

Certainly Blackmagic Design are shaking things up in the video editing / colouring / compositing world, with fully functioning high end and free products like Resolve and Fusion, and now as you say with some good audio capabilities.

In the end it was simply a case that Resolve was too cumbersome for me to use with even a reasonably decent GPU, so I ended up just going back to Hitfilm Pro.

ozmuso67 wrote:Yes, that card should be ok. I just found that my GTX 970 didn't cut it in terms of working with Resolve, everything was clunky and slow, and I was only working with 1080p video as well.

You could always email Blackmagic Design and tell them your budget, and ask them which graphics card is the best bang-for-your-buck for use with Resolve, they used to have recommendations on their website in terms of minimum required and recommended.

Certainly Blackmagic Design are shaking things up in the video editing / colouring / compositing world, with fully functioning high end and free products like Resolve and Fusion, and now as you say with some good audio capabilities.

In the end it was simply a case that Resolve was too cumbersome for me to use with even a reasonably decent GPU, so I ended up just going back to Hitfilm Pro.

Well hopefully that clunkiness and slowness has been err resolved in 14 :), it's been a bit of a long bugbear I think, no matter what graphics card you've had.

Those who have and are in the same boat of being unable to run 14 can in fact try Resolve 12.5 which also allows you to use VST effect's. Opening them once you've dragged and dropped them onto the timeline doesn't open them in that one action. There's a little fx tab on the bottom left of a clip and also a button found in the Inspector that allows you to enable them. You also have the ability to apply a VST effect to an entire track...

As for how Resolve 14 performs..and how Fairlight Audio works, there's informative videos I've found here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03GEVVLLws

also his video material might be a bit dire in this one but those interested can get a better idea with him using the provided plugin's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XsJk4QVENc

---
I'll give it a few days before finally settling on which graphics card to choose and scan their forum to see how others are fairing with theirs I think.

Very impressive list. And yeah, this could be the new way to go - a DAVW :)
Will have a learning curve, but I'll have to try it. Right now still have to learn to get along with Hitfilm.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Hi guys, I've had HitFilm a few years now which is pretty cool feature wise, similar to After Effects in many ways and fast much faster than Resolve 12.5 when playing back video. With Hitfilm 2017, .MTS video files from the my Panasonic HC-V180 HD camcorder I'm using doesn't import the audio which is disappointing as the video plays back very well. I believe this to be because of rights of the audio propriety formats being protected and require a licence. Then there's that transcoding thing which is a bit of a hassle, and doing anything with audio in Hitfilm is quite a pain, so that's where Davinci has the edge with edting... So many variables and potential hurdles to jump over with this video editing malarkey.

Gfx card for Resolve, you'll want as many Cuda chips on it as you can afford. So find the one that offers the most and Resolve will run fine.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

I'm using Reaper to do audio and video editing, with Hitfilm for composting video made in iClone. I hope Reaper gets more video editing updates and tools though, Hitfilm Ignite inside Reaper would be great. I do think the era when all these tools are available in the same environment is nearly here and expected. Maybe a few years yet though. I have no idea about Cubase, can you edit video in that? Or Logic?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

THE INTRANCER wrote:Hi guys, I've had HitFilm a few years now which is pretty cool feature wise, similar to After Effects in many ways and fast much faster than Resolve 12.5 when playing back video. With Hitfilm 2017, .MTS video files from the my Panasonic HC-V180 HD camcorder I'm using doesn't import the audio which is disappointing as the video plays back very well. I believe this to be because of rights of the audio propriety formats being protected and require a licence. Then there's that transcoding thing which is a bit of a hassle, and doing anything with audio in Hitfilm is quite a pain, so that's where Davinci has the edge with edting... So many variables and potential hurdles to jump over with this video editing malarkey.
Hitfilm is terrible unless you Transcode, it is designed for transcoded footage, most packages will run a ton better with Transcoded footage to an editor format.
Duh

Does it have audio editing tools for cleaning up dialogue?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

i will say its a bit unstable after i threw in few heavy ass plugins (mturboreverb and 2 newflanged eq) it crashed even though my system can handle those plugins easily
i think its in its child/baby state
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”