28%
14%
5%
5 or more
14%

Total votes: 138

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lately I've seen different ideas about using multiple DAWs vs only one. Just curious about how many most people are using on at least a semi regular basis.
Thanks

One. I used to have 2 installed, Studio One 3 Pro, and Cubase Artist, but, i only have Studio One installed now, because i don't want to switch between DAW's anymore, and, Cubase is quite bloated anyway, and installs a gazillion of different plugins, content etc. which you all have to uninstall manually, when you uninstall Cubase. I'm quite happy with it. I doubt that anyone really NEEDS more than one DAW, i guess it's rather to check something different, or use something which is more suited to live use, or whatever.

of course I don't need more than one DAW, but I mainly use Cubase 9.5 and Live when I want to work with clips.

In a world full of tricks, who wants to be a one-trick pony?

I have 5 installed on my computer. Ableton Live 10 Suite, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Studio One 3 Pro, Reason 8, and Sonar Platinum. I really only use Live and Cubase.
Last edited by kb420 on Wed May 02, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

I really dig Bitwig, but it's too young and expensive to be used as main or sketch pad, quite an shame, I see great potential in this tool, but not today and not with that paying policy, wish they just make better cheap entry level version so I can at least use it as proper sketch pad.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:I really dig Bitwig, but it's too young and expensive to be used as main or sketch pad, quite an shame, I see great potential in this tool, but not today and not with that paying policy, wish they just make better cheap entry level version so I can at least use it as proper sketch pad.
Did you give that 8-track version a go?

Admittedly, i don't think you can do that much with it.

In terms of up-to-date software, I presently own the following four DAWs:

1) Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite
2) MOTU Digital Performer 9
3) PreSonus Studio One 3 Professional
4) Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5

Samplitude is my preferred DAW option and is used most often. However, the other DAWs listed are more than capable of meeting my studio needs as well. It's truly just a matter of preference for a particular project.

I also have older licenses to the following DAWs, but I do not use them at this time, nor do I plan to update them, and did not include them in my count total:

1) Akai MPC Software (for MPC Renassiance controller)
2) Bitwig Studio
3) Magix Acid Pro 7
4) Propellerhead Reason 7

The only DAWs I might add in the future is Steinberg WaveLab or Merging Technologies Pyramix, but I am in no rush to follow through with a purchase.
Last edited by Silaris on Sat May 12, 2018 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

chk071 wrote:
Zexila wrote:I really dig Bitwig, but it's too young and expensive to be used as main or sketch pad, quite an shame, I see great potential in this tool, but not today and not with that paying policy, wish they just make better cheap entry level version so I can at least use it as proper sketch pad.
Did you give that 8-track version a go?

Admittedly, i don't think you can do that much with it.
Yeah, don't know what is worst to use for sketching, BWG 2 demo or that 8 track-2 VST's-BWG 1 version, that Live you gave me is better option for quick sketch pad, but Live is weird. :scared:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I know. :D Never really understood the underlying logic…

chk071 wrote:I know. :D Never really understood the underlying logic…
Guess we are not live enough. :D

I have several DAW's and and use all of them at one time or another.

My aim is not to find my main Daw but my one and only DAW.
Focus! is the answer.

Part of the problem is that all the main DAW's are so good that
finding the one and only DAW is not so easy. Looks like it will
either be Studio One 4 or Reaper 6 which right now is the favorite
to win my one only DAW award.

I use Bitwig for almost everything. I use Numerology as a supplemental MIDI sequencer for generative compositions (though I mostly use it as a plug-in in Bitwig these days). I use Pro Tools or Logic when I'm working on projects for other people.

I used to used to use Live for composition and Pro Tools for editing audio and mixing, when it came to my own projects. Now I prefer to do all of that in Bitwig. I do still use Pro Tools occasionally but not as much for my own projects.

One. Cubase 9.5. I rather spend time recording and make music and mix than jumping around with other DAWs. After all they do the same thing. So what's the point spend time on doing the same thing with multiiple DAWs? It's easier be more creative with limits than with too many choices that only creates confusion.

I have a few more but these are ones that I actually use.

Cubase Pro 9.5 (primary DAW used for most everything)
Ableton Live 10 (as was mentioned- when I want to work with clips)
Reason 10 (mostly with Cubase via ReWire)
Maschine 2 (mostly used within Cubase as a VST/drum machine)
FL Studio 12 (usually just to port projects over from, but occasionally to build from)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”