Cakewalk Gets zplane élastique in build 2018.09 Build 25

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what a nice announcement today! look forward to messing around with it
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

About time, a good few years behind some of the opposition.

But then I guess the heart of SONAR/CbB is decades old, even going back to last century in parts (and it certainly shows)

Cakewalk may have got zplane . . . but most of its users (the smart ones) got the xplane right out of Cakewalkville, and if you believe what they say on the various other DAW forums around the place, those who didn't give in to their familiarity with SONAR/CbB, and put in the time and effort to become familiar with their new DAW of choice have no intentions of ever returning, why would they? There's not that many of the old long time users left.

SONAR/CbB . . . flakier than a bowl of Kelloggs, and buggier than a homeless mans bedding.

I see they are still getting people with the 'Demo Mode' bug. Think about that for a minute . . . a Freeware product with a 'Demo Mode'? :lol: :clap: :dog: you got to have a laugh, those Cakewalk dudes missed their calling, they should have been comedians :tu:
Say NO to CLAP!

Wait a minute, is this free Cakewalk the same as the top-of-the-line flagship Cakewalk they were selling a few years back? If so, that's a steal!

Nice to see this fine DAW being updated-despite the hatred. :phones:

keyman_sam wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:41 am Wait a minute, is this free Cakewalk the same as the top-of-the-line flagship Cakewalk they were selling a few years back? If so, that's a steal!
For the most part, yes.

Cakewalk Bandlab is like that cake you see in a shop window, the shop assistant tells you it's free to take away if you want it, your eye's dilate widely..thinking to yourself 'wow really... 'a free cake just for me..? Gosh...'. You get home..from the store.. you set up your digital video camera, for that 'special youtube cake box opening'... then whilst that uploads, you start slicing into that beautiful cake...and after the first hour, you start to feel pretty sick.. but you carry on eating anyway thinking it will pass. That night you find out that you're in for a nasty surprise, by morning you know why.... (I'll leave the rest to your imagination)... Needless to say..I didn't have any more cake from that shop...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I was a Sonar user for years until Henry da Vandal appeared on the scene...

But now that Henry has "abdicated",I thought that it might be a good time to revisit Cakewalk...

Although some things in the program are still a little clunky compared to Reaper,I feel that there have been some great improvements made,especially with regards to efficiency...

Like most things,there are pros and cons involved...

I had stopped at Sonar X3e Pro x64,but I have installed the Cakewalk version and it's all good...

Like meeting an old friend again...

It's BS for people to say that this DAW is rubbish,because it has enough great features to produce top quality professional results...

Before people criticize the tools they use,they should go and look in the mirror and make a few adjustments to the person they are looking at :wink:

After all,user error is the major cause of most road accidents...

I'm happy to have Cakewalk back in my toolbox again...

It's solid and it's stable :party:
No auto tune...

Being stable is one thing... being exceptionally buggy is another... here's just one example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xYsNacsSzQ&t=1s
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:26 amexceptionally buggy is another...
That's how I remember Sonar alright :D Glad to see they also took over the old Cakewalk paradigm: why fix bugs if you can have new features.

Are the people who are complaining about Cakewalk being "buggy" using dedicated DAWs or just trying to cram everything into one computer ?

I use dedicated Win 7 x64 Pro DAWs that are not connected to the internet (except for authorisation) and I have no issues with the Cakewalk DAW...

I also use Win 7 x64 Pro workstation laptops with other installed software and have no problems there either...

I had a few issues with some of the earlier versions of Sonar,but X3e Pro x64 was a trouble free ride....

I believe that many of the bugs that people report with these DAWs - and most DAWs are included - are to do with conflicts caused by having too much shit inside one machine....

It's a bit like driving down the 101 at rush hour :wink:
No auto tune...

I used Sonar for years and although it never became my primary DAW, I always respected what the company was trying to do and the founder, Greg Hendershott. When he left though, I had a bad feeling about its future and that was only compounded by the Gibson acquisition. Hopefully Bandlab can rekindle the flame and keep the brand alive.
Last edited by Tronam on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

After every update I am trying to return back to Cakewalk, but fail. Used to like it in the past, especially its midi editor, but now cannot understand what and why I liked in that program. Even Reaper's MIDI editor, which is bashed on every corner, looks better implemented for me than Cakewalk's. And these bugs, ohh... :cry: Not so much about crashes, although they were quite frequent, but general behavior. Cakewalks bugs required to be learned, something like "never touch this and that in this order" or "don't drag this and don't push that while audio is playing" etc. and still there were plenty of unexplainable "what is going on?" and "how it got broken?" moments. Now I find situation is better in current free version, but still this weird insecure feeling isn't gone after many years.
General UI design is decent in some places, but in deeper layers it still looks like on Windows 98. Good for nostalgia, but a bit weird for 2018. And it still cannot loop midi properly in Media Browser. Ok, will check after next update... :roll:

Pretty much rock stable on my machine since the last update.

Whatever their doing,its going in the right direction. :tu:

I looked at the CbB update logs and was really impressed that fixing bugs was definitely a higher priority than adding new features. For this update there were 10 new features and 19 bugfixes listed. You can be negative and say look at how many bugs there were, or be positive and say looks like they're moving in the right direction.

I really don't get all the hate towards Cakewalk. Did it stand you up for prom and steal your boyfriend/girlfriend?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”