How current you are with your DAW version?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

How current you are with your DAW version?

I'm on the current version
78%
I'm 1 paid version behind
20%
I'm 2 paid versions behind
3%
I'm 3 paid versions behind
No votes
I'm 4 paid versions behind
No votes
I'm 5+ paid versions behind
No votes

Total votes: 80

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Simple question - how many paid versions behind you are on your main/only DAW, in other words how many paid upgrade you've skipped?

Any comments as to why are obviously welcome!
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

1. But, I'm sure most people will be on the latest version.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 am 1. But, I'm sure most people will be on the latest version.
I suspect that as well, but wanted to see how prevalent is that on KvR. Probably on a more "pro" forum/website it wouldn't be the same.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Well, I'm current on all the DAWs I have, but I won't be with the last version on everyone:

Bitwig Studio 4- Definitely I will keep it up to date :D
Cubase Pro 11 - Might skip the coming 0.5 and will see what v12 will bring/enhance

Studio One Artist v5 - No. Will keep it the same unless upgrading to future Pro v6 but I already chose Cubase over it.
Ableton Live 11 Standard - I don't know! I might update it to Standard 12 or Suite 12, but very possible just keep it this way. I might sell it if I feel Bitwig is all I need!
Reaper 6 - I updated it from v5 (originally v4) and mostly I'll upgrade to v8 in that time. It is a testing tool for me.
Reason 12 (standard) - No! I'm on the fence if I keep it or sell it, but mostly I will sell it before they announce v13 :hihi:
Maschine 2 - if there is v3 with a good update, then mostly yes!

I also have Logic Pro and FL Studio (Producer) but those update themselves. I use Logic Pro sometimes, but never FL Studio recently.

Well i use Cakewalk Sonar X3 Producer but i own the license to all of the later versions until Gibson shut them down.
The Reason i chose the X3 is because it was my last license that didn't require to be online for authorization.

The latest free versions from bandlab Requires you to log in at certain intervals or you will loose your authorization which i find weird for a free product.

When it comes to Studio one i have the Producer version of V 1 and 2 but now i use Studio One Artist 5.4.
I know that that one requires Online authorization the first time you run it but that Company is still in business so i don't see that as a problem + it's one time only.

Maschine 2 is regulary updated when i bother to open the Native Access app since i don't use it that much.

FL Studio and Reason Lite 11 + Re Plugins is in my dust bin folder Atm.

if you have several DAW's, the poll can't work..

6 DAW's, only 3 (or 4) last version (reaper, cubase pro, ableton live suite and bitwig (but with no active upgrade plan)), harisson mixbus 6, so one behind, reason 11 suite, so one behind.

EDIT: bought R12 upgrade, so 4 (or 5; bitwig..) are current, 1 one behind....
Last edited by WasteLand on Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Know When to Say No" to bloat
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

i'm currently current, until Reaper 8 arrives.
Not sure if i will update, as Reaper 6 already does everything i need.
With my previous DAW, i was at Sonar 8.5, not even sure how many X versions supersede it, but 8.5 was from 2008 or 2009 i think.
Then i upgraded to Reaper in 2020

And regarding my OS, which is part of my DAW too, as far as i'm concerned, i'm currently 2 versions behind, soon to be 3.
But out of necessity, when i will get a new system, i'm probably going to be either current, or just one version behind
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Not to make this thread about Reaper, but, I used Reaper a bit yesterday, and remembered why I sold it, once again... No auto record arm by default when you switch to another track (WTF?), master fader on the left side in the mixer by default (WTF? Signal flow anyone?), right-click context menus with 20 to 30 entries, with no icons to maybe be able to see where to go (WTF??), GUI areas you can stretch, but there's no visible indication where you actually have to click and drag to resize them, and no MIDI monitor, so I have no way to figure out what's wrong with my MIDI controller, when, once again, it decides that it doesn't want to send MIDI messages when I plug it in...

Really don't want to rant about Reaper the whole time, but, jeez, why is this program even a thing for so many here? It does the most basic things wrong, and lacks the most basic features that, really, every single DAW I ever tried has.

Rant finished. :P

P.S.: One thing it does have, contary to my other DAW's is a 32-bit bridge, which was the whole reason why I fired it up yesterday. But, meh, it's sort of the antithesis to what I would want to use to make music...

I'm on Cubase 10.5, although I bought the update to 11 in the summer sale. Waiting for November/December to activate it and get 11.5.
With a bit of luck.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:57 am Not to make this thread about Reaper, but, I used Reaper a bit yesterday, and remembered why I sold it, once again... No auto record arm by default when you switch to another track
I do not own reaper, But I am pretty sure it has that feature as an option.

It has. As I said, it's not the default. It's somewhere hidden in those 30 items context menus.

2 behind on samplitude
might have been more, but that's the first version i bought, so that's where i am.
before that i used orion exclusively.

recently (a year) added bidule, i"think" im up to date there, but don't follow the site, just know that i fairly recently did up date, but new updates are regular, following betas
although, it's still in beta?
if that makes sense :lol:

oh and Sound Forge = 2 behind, but could easily be 5 versions behind without missing out on too much.
Magix has their magixal update prices “just for €199“ which usually aren't any more substantial than 0.01 releases on Reaper that you get for free for approx. 200 times.
At least regarding SF, don't know how good the bucks per feature ratio is regarding Samplitude and other products.
Last edited by FapFilter on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:40 pm It has. As I said, it's not the default. It's somewhere hidden in those 30 items context menus.
Ah, ok, I thought you meant you had to import something to do that job. I am not sure, but I seem to think that when Studio One is first installed it also is the same by default. I seem to remember hunting the option for "audio input follows selection". I could well be wrong about that though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”