What's the best K. Brown synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Genuinely curious who's found gems in the ridiculously huge and generous K. Brown Synth collection: https://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/

I doubt most people have the time to try them all, so I thought it would be useful to create a "What is the best" thread about it. What's your favorite?

Maybe in the future it would be useful to create a rating system or a poll.

The plugs are 32-bit, Windows-only; they cannot be made Mac-compatible because they were made with Synthmaker
They're only 32-bit, so not sure how much interest there would be for them. As far as I know, it's not possible to compile 32-bit Synthmaker plugins for 64-bit, so they may not ever become 64-bit.

Maybe you should investigate other free plugins that are more future proof? If you have a 32-bit system, maybe look at some that have both a 32-bit and 64-bit version so that when you make the transition you will be able to keep the plugins you like?
Sweet child in time...

I can tell you, these plugins have some of the most gorgeous analog emulation GUI that there is period.

So far the ones that I've went out my way to try are the Buchla inspired ones and ARP ones it's really hard to pick favorites when they're all so legit fun to tinker with and look at.

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:31 pm
The plugs are 32-bit, Windows-only; they cannot be made Mac-compatible because they were made with Synthmaker
They're only 32-bit, so not sure how much interest there would be for them. As far as I know, it's not possible to compile 32-bit Synthmaker plugins for 64-bit, so they may not ever become 64-bit.

Maybe you should investigate other free plugins that are more future proof? If you have a 32-bit system, maybe look at some that have both a 32-bit and 64-bit version so that when you make the transition you will be able to keep the plugins you like?
Many (most?) 32-bit VST's can live happily in 64-bit environments when bridged. But yes, 32-bit will probably disappear before 64-bit does.

I'm not tossing classics like FuzzPilz - Oatmeal (with Lumina skin) onto the virtual garbage heap just because it's 32-bit (and will probably never go 64-bit).

Good points, but these are still being maintained and update, and if Flowstone will ever go 64 then it wouldn't be too difficult to just duplicate them in 64.

I'm not in the hunt for free plugins, I just want to hear and see if anybody is using these and if there are any particularly good ones, as there are too many to even begin trying.

There's alot of good ones, in fact most of them are good and nearly all of them have gorgeous GUI's some of the best analog emulated GUI's you'll ever find paid or free.
The oscillators and filters of the synths aren't modelled instead what's modelled is the signal flow and how it's routed and modulated so if you have any classic synths favs that you are familiar with programming I would start there.
I downloaded them for the Buchla emu's but found myself enjoying the Insoniq ones and also the older school modular ones like the Synthegrated ones his ARP's emu's are pretty cool too. They're all actually really fun to play with. And believe it or not they all will get you making different sounds because of the architecture.
overhishead wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Good points, but these are still being maintained and update, and if Flowstone will ever go 64 then it wouldn't be too difficult to just duplicate them in 64.

I'm not in the hunt for free plugins, I just want to hear and see if anybody is using these and if there are any particularly good ones, as there are too many to even begin trying.

Most of them probably share, at least that is my opinion, the same code. The differences I see are mostly in the GUI and the structural synth layout. I wouldn't call these emulations of the originals, only graphical copies.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

heya-
I could possibly compile say 4 of them as 64-bit?
I'll drop Kevin a line soon

I have the x64 FlowStone Alpha

nix808 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm heya-
I could possibly compile say 4 of them as 64-bit?
I'll drop Kevin a line soon

I have the x64 FlowStone Alpha
That's cool!
I wonder if you can just load the 32 bit Flowstone OSM into the 64 bit version and just render them. K.Brown has generously uploaded the .OSM files which is awesome. I assume he shared them so folks would just take them and improve upon them.

sometimes you can,
sometimes it requires some edits

If you'd like 4 in x64, let me know which ones and I can try it tonight

I tried the SH 1200,
it needs some work to get it to work

this one might be nice to try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyJSLdKFrCU

I had a quick look-
but this synth build uses busses, and they are broken in current FlowStone Alpha.
I'll see if I can get Kevin on the Alpha team, but he too would have to wait for a bussing bugfix

overhishead wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:11 pm Hi,

Genuinely curious who's found gems in the ridiculously huge and generous K. Brown Synth collection: https://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/

I doubt most people have the time to try them all, so I thought it would be useful to create a "What is the best" thread about it. What's your favorite?

Maybe in the future it would be useful to create a rating system or a poll.
From his webpage; "Again, my aim with these was to create a free way to experience the interesting signal and control structures of these synths, not to fool anyone into thinking they are sound-alikes."

Don't get me wrong but does a ranting system make any sense after this statement?
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”