vst plugins development whith python?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello ,i've been learning python ,and i would like to make plugins ,is there any framework that uses python instead of c++ ,and if not what framework should i choose with a easy programming language ?
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

And it is interesting to me how to write vstplugins in python!

Cant think of a 'regular' Python framework offhand, but maybe VST .NET and IronPython?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

you can't code real native plugins by python.
even if it's possible, python doesn't have a good speed for real time DSP.

If you want to code VST, only C++ SDK is officially available from Steinberg.
Delphi is also provided unofficially.
You can use other native language (C, ASM, D and so on) if you know how to.

If you need GUI too, C++ & JUCE is the easiest way to build your plugins.
soundcloud.com/yudaidhun

~stratum~

Most of the features of Python are not required for what a VST does. If you want programmable logic, there are options for the DSP processing side, but I haven't seen many programmable GUIs, except for Reaktor (in a limited sense still)

I'm sure Python has plenty of speed for prototyping a plug. I am surprised at how speedy it is for an interpreted language. However, it's not the best choice if you have to distribute a runtime of several megabytes and have the end-user set it up!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

For quick DSP prototyping in Python, PYO is worth checking out. The closest thing I've heard to developing VSTs with a modern "scripting" language is the use of Ruby in FlowStone SynthMaster, which only creates 32 bit Windows plugins.

For VST development I suggest:
- C++ (on Windows, get Visual Studio C++ community edition, on Mac I think Xcode is the standard option)
- iplug C++ code framework (specifically designed for VSTs, doesn't cost anything, not overdesigned and should be good enough)

If this is too involved but you really want to make VSTs, I think your next best option is SynthEdit or SynthMaker.

If your goal is to mess around with DSP rather than making VSTs, then your most interesting options are fairly different and you can use other programming languages.

Forgot to mention, Reaper has their script (forget what it's called) baked in, so you can design, test and run your own plugs inside of Reaper with nothing else.

BlueCat has a scripted plugin, but it's a CPU pig. There's one with lua and another with pd floating around as well, but I think they are 32-bit only.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”