Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
9115 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

FathomSynth wrote:Yes, Version 1.0.15 is the latest.

Correct, there is no authorization screen, very low tech for now, only the version updates require a password, which is just a file unzip password, nothing installed in the plugin itself.

Periodically I check the internet for illegal free versions and so far everyone has been honest, so I prefer to make the purchase as easy as possible for first time buyers.

Actually your two suggestions are really good ones.

1) Yes that is correct, the default modulation type (range) for any new modulator is “multiply” which goes from zero to the current dial value. If you increase the mini-dial mod amount on the right side mod slat it adds to the modulation, rather than raising the minimum. This was a tough decision on my part but an important one so that the max range of the mod amount itself can be modulated in over-all intensity, which is the most common case.

In your case (for now) you want to change the Mod Type on the far right side of the mod slat to “Add” (“+”) and set the dial value to the minimum and then increase the mod amount dial until the max range of the modulation on the dial goes to your desired max.

I admit this is not ideal or convenient in your case, and what is really needed is an additional mod type which is basically multiply with the mod amount dial raising the minimum, it’s an easy change so I will add that in 1.0.16.

2) You are very correct on the ADSR, and others have noted the same thing.

Fathom desperately needs a simple version of the ADSR which just places the A,D,S,R knobs directly on the mod slat for easy editing without using a graphical envelope.

The graphical envelope is a massive over-kill for many simple ADSR situations. I’ve been wanting to do this for ages, but its more work.

I will try to get that in by the end of the year. But right now the MAC release has priority over everything else since it will double sales and help continue the project.

In terms of your current workflow with the graphical ADSR, try just clicking and dragging the last point after the black note-off line way way far to the right. The interface is smart enough to extend the release time in the correct proportion even as you drag way outside the entire gui. It might take a couple drags to get a long release time but that’s what I always do, and it should work reasonably well until I can do the simplified ADSR modulator.

P.S. I just ran through the KVR purchase process using paypal. I’ll place complete instructions on the web site, and update this note with a link.


Thanks for the clarifications. It's all good. Nothing I can't work with for now.

So far, loving this. It does a lot of stuff for you as far as Note On, Gate, CV, etc, and that's going to take some getting used to after using Modular for so long (I keep thinking I'm missing something when I just pop in an oscillator and it makes a sound lol) but I'll get the hang of it. Funny how simple can mess up your mind when you're so used to connecting EVERYTHING in order to just make a sound. Of course that kind of flexibility allows you to do things that I'm not sure Fathom can do, though I'm sure going to stretch this thing as far as I can take it.

Thanks again for a really fun synth. Best $25 I've spent this year.
nordickvr
KVRian
 
602 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Postby nordickvr; Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

FathomSynth wrote:...But right now the MAC release has priority over everything else since it will double sales and help continue the project..

Great to hear and really wish you to double sales!
FathomSynth
KVRist
 
275 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

Nordickvr, thanks! Yes, I hope to get the Mac release out by December 1.
At that time I'll be looking for some Mac beta testers.

Wagtunes, yes your input is important due to your experience with many different types of modulars.
I'm creating a major feature list for early 2018 so your suggestions based on usage will be valuable.
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
9115 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:30 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

FathomSynth wrote:Nordickvr, thanks! Yes, I hope to get the Mac release out by December 1.
At that time I'll be looking for some Mac beta testers.

Wagtunes, yes your input is important due to your experience with many different types of modulars.
I'm creating a major feature list for early 2018 so your suggestions based on usage will be valuable.


Well, I really don't know how far to go with "suggestions" other than little issues like the above because I don't know how deep you want to go with this thing. With a true modular in the "real" world, nothing is done for you whereas with Fathom, quite a lot is done for you. With that, of course, comes limitations. Lifting some of those limitations might mean having to do major rewriting which may or may not be possible and/or feasible. So in all honesty, I'm probably just going to treat this like a "standard" non modular synth for the purposes of suggestions and keep them to really basic things. The ADSR controls being, at least IMO, pretty basic for any synth. I mean any hardware ADSR module has knobs. lol. So if I can get just that, I'll be as happy as a pig in mud.

Of course if you want me to get crazy with this thing, I can. But I'd need to get an okay from you to do that. Because I don't want to create a lot of "unnecessary" work for you depending on how crazy you yourself want to get with this thing. I mean do you REALLY want to start getting into making math modules, slew limiters, and, shudder the thought, Buchla style oscillators?

So I'll take my cue from you and govern my suggestions accordingly to the intended scope of this project.

Make sense?
RPH
KVRian
 
966 posts since 20 Nov, 2005, from The Netherlands

Postby RPH; Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

FathomSynth wrote:RPH, Thanks for managing marketing and sales in my absence, I was watching reruns of Homeland late last night, your hired as our new VP.


:D No thanks needed, glad to help out. :tu:
nordickvr
KVRian
 
602 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Postby nordickvr; Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:58 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

FathomSynth wrote:...I hope to get the Mac release out by December 1.
At that time I'll be looking for some Mac beta testers.

Count me in!
FathomSynth
KVRist
 
275 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:48 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

Wagtunes, Yes I see your point.
Through November I'll be busy with the Mac port, so during that time frame
we should probably focus on the obvious "basic" synth functionality.
However, in December as I make the development plan for 2018 you and I should dig deeper
into the true modular functionality.
Currently Fathom is only fully modular at the component signal flow level,
meaning that you can not yet do intra-component point patching.
There is a huge need for this in some of the effects modules where it would be really nice
to patch chorus and phasor channels into each other like it does with the digital delay.
I have been known to devote an entire release to a major feature requiring significant
development such as the wave table oscillator, so nothing is out of the question.
There have been several requests recently for more true modular stuff such as
being able to route oscillator output as a general modular, etc.
Stuff like that would really set Fathom apart from the crowd.

Two other features high on the list are a Sample And Hold Random Modulator and Drawable LFO,
since those request has been around for a while.

Also, tell me what you think the very best fully modular synth in the world is right now.
I never copy features directly, but it helps to see what level the competition is at currently.

Nordickvr, OK, You are on the list for MAC beta testing.
User avatar
pekbro
KVRian
 
1178 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:25 pm Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

omg... :roll:
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
9115 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:12 pm Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

FathomSynth wrote:Wagtunes, Yes I see your point.
Through November I'll be busy with the Mac port, so during that time frame
we should probably focus on the obvious "basic" synth functionality.
However, in December as I make the development plan for 2018 you and I should dig deeper
into the true modular functionality.
Currently Fathom is only fully modular at the component signal flow level,
meaning that you can not yet do intra-component point patching.
There is a huge need for this in some of the effects modules where it would be really nice
to patch chorus and phasor channels into each other like it does with the digital delay.
I have been known to devote an entire release to a major feature requiring significant
development such as the wave table oscillator, so nothing is out of the question.
There have been several requests recently for more true modular stuff such as
being able to route oscillator output as a general modular, etc.
Stuff like that would really set Fathom apart from the crowd.

Two other features high on the list are a Sample And Hold Random Modulator and Drawable LFO,
since those request has been around for a while.

Also, tell me what you think the very best fully modular synth in the world is right now.
I never copy features directly, but it helps to see what level the competition is at currently.

Nordickvr, OK, You are on the list for MAC beta testing.


While there is a lack of modules in its early stages, I'd say it's Softube Modular without getting crazy to the point of needing a degree to understand the architecture. I'm referring to Reaktor. Blocks make Reaktor but to fully understand Blocks, you need to dig deeper into Core and that stuff is just beyond me. In short, I don't want to learn how to build a synth.

In other words, I'm happy enough if you give me a slew limiter and don't make me build one. lol

Hope this helps.
FathomSynth
KVRist
 
275 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

I took a look at Softube's products, they look really good, and very much modular.
You can basically plug anything into anything.
I'm familiar with Reaktor, very powerful, but big learning curve.

Ah, yes, the old Slew Limiter, I think I will be adding that as part of the Compressor
when I get a chance.
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRist
 
162 posts since 21 Apr, 2017

Postby Scrubbing Monkeys; Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:53 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

I ran across some odd behavior last night.
I was trying to modulate the amount of envelope that was modulating the filter cutoff freq with note velocity.

It doesnt have any affect. I tried the same set up using pitch bend instead of note velocity and all worked as expected.

The phasor has a very rich sound. It just kinda wraps itself around you. Great job.
elassi
KVRAF
 
1578 posts since 8 Sep, 2009

Postby elassi; Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:31 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

Want to add some remarks, too.

a) Imho the scaling, or: curve, of the mod knob(s) could be improved. Unless I'm doing something wrong, of course. Imho the curve rises too much with lower values. Please see example:

Image

edit: To be precise it's 25% of the range - not 25% change...

Alternatively I'd suggest following types (where it'd be perfect if one could freely change 'em):

Image Image Image

edit2: There's a simple reason for those suggested curves. Most of the time you want (very) subtle changes to make a sound "vivid", be it either on note trigger or over time. But with the given curve model it's very hard to achieve if not impossible.

b) The commercial version's zip-file has been announced as being password-protected. It wasn't. You may want to fix that. ;-)
Last edited by elassi on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
 
6707 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:35 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

I'd love a software version of my Endorphin.es Furthrrrr generator, which is basically a complex dual VCO heavily inspired the Buchla 259

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/endorphin ... -generator

That site is probably one of the best resources if you need inspiration for modules as practically every Eurorack module never made is on there.
You can even build a rack, wire it up and generate audio !!!!
The future is yesterday
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
 
6707 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:45 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

wagtunes wrote:Of course if you want me to get crazy with this thing, I can. But I'd need to get an okay from you to do that. Because I don't want to create a lot of "unnecessary" work for you depending on how crazy you yourself want to get with this thing. I mean do you REALLY want to start getting into making math modules, slew limiters, and, shudder the thought, Buchla style oscillators?


Then youll love Audulus, its a technical synthhead's dream, cross platform and affordable.

Though you probably couldnt monetise it as the user community isnt geared that way

http://audulus.com/

or free check out AnalogBox

https://sites.google.com/site/analogbox2/download
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYnzh6B ... ture=share
The future is yesterday
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
9115 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:49 am Re: Fathom 1.0.15 Released with 8 Channel Phasor

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Of course if you want me to get crazy with this thing, I can. But I'd need to get an okay from you to do that. Because I don't want to create a lot of "unnecessary" work for you depending on how crazy you yourself want to get with this thing. I mean do you REALLY want to start getting into making math modules, slew limiters, and, shudder the thought, Buchla style oscillators?


Then youll love Audulus, its a technical synthhead's dream, cross platform and affordable.

Though you probably couldnt monetise it as the user community isnt geared that way

http://audulus.com/

or free check out AnalogBox

https://sites.google.com/site/analogbox2/download
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYnzh6B ... ture=share


Just looking at it gives me a headache. Makes me wonder if the interface was put together in an LSD induced coma.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments