Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR Platinum SONAR X3 Producer

zzz00m wrote:
Straight2Vinyl wrote:I may have to check this out when I get home. I don't want to learn another DAW, when there's already so much in Reaper and Renoise left to learn, but it could be a good option for creating groove templates if I can export audio files as MIDI with timing and velocity data.
Here is how to extract MIDI timing from audio:
Extracting MIDI timing information from audio allows you to:

. Double an audio rhythm with a MIDI instrument.

. Replace sounds in an audio clip (commonly used for drum replacement).

. Notate the rhythm of an audio clip.

. Align lyrics with an audio rhythm.

After you extract the timing information from an audio clip, the timing information is copied to the Clipboard as MIDI note events. You can paste the MIDI notes to a new MIDI track or use the Clipboard as a source for the Groove Quantize command.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... ap.15.html
Cool. Thanks man. I was hopoing to find a small utility for this, but I'm not having much luck. This may be the best available option.

And if you want to do it faster, Melodyne Essential is only 99€, and integrates fully with CbB through ARA. MIDI extraction is just dragging an audio clip into a MIDI track and that's it. It is not included with CbB as it was with Sonar, but for the price I think the combo is more than worth it.

Another option is go buy Tracktion Waveform 9 for $109 and it comes with Melodyne Essential and has some cool features.
The chord track and pattern generator is fun to work with.

They had a sale last month for 15% off. So you can wait for another one of Tracktion's sale and pick it up for around $93.00.

Either way Melodyne is a great tool to have.

I had thought about adding that bit about Melodyne tempo extraction, but left it out to avoid confusion because it is not included in CbB.

It also is not perfect. I have heard opinions that working with short sections of a track yield the most accurate results. Corrections via edits will need to be applied in most cases.

But here is the info for anyone interested: Melodyne ARA tempo extraction
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... s.036.html

And a video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_SKmr_07Is
Windows 10 and too many plugins

HOW THE f**k DO YOU DOWNLOAD THIS??

You need that Bandlab Assistant thing. https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

A question please to the Sonar Gurus:

If I drop an audio file or rex file onto a track, Sonar adds in the clip header after the clip name a number in brackets...

What is this number for???

Trancit wrote:A question please to the Sonar Gurus:

If I drop an audio file or rex file onto a track, Sonar adds in the clip header after the clip name a number in brackets...

What is this number for???
As far as I have been able to ascertain, it is an internal referencing thing Sonar/Cakewalk implements, (they also did the same thing in Project5).
Maybe someone else can elaborate on this... btw , you will also see the file named as such in Sonar/Cakewalk's audio folder for the project.

A year or so ago, it was common to see Melodyne Essentials licenses for sale here cheap ($15-30 range). People were accumulating multiple copies while DAW surfing, and dumping the extras in the marketplace.

Now that Bandlab's Cakewalk is free and includes ARA support, it's definitely worth a look here for a secondhand copy of ME (Assuming that Celemony still allows license transfers).

so i was round my mates house, who i make music with and i was telling him that sonar was now free, and maybe we should install and see if he prefers it over FL.
he was like "didn't you switch to FL because sonar's bugs totalled all your tracks?" and i'm like "yeah but that was about 10 years ago, they must have sorted it out by now"

so i install (curious now, because he's on 64bit and i'm not, so i never seen it yet), and start to show him audiosnap, which i know is what he'll love most, and suddenly everything freezes.
ok, lets give them the benefit of the doubt here, was maybe just unlucky. restart, reload project, move a few audiosnap markers, freeze.
getting annoyed, restart, reload, move markers very slowly, and still sonar freezes.
on the third attempt we sit there chatting for 20 mins, hoping it will recover, but it never does, so i say "well this is some cutting edge technology, maybe we shouldn't move the markers while the song is playing" and then i remember i was having the same audiosnap problem 8 or 9 years ago.

uninstalled.
sorry bandlab, i gave you a chance, but my mate has a 26gb processor or something, and it still couldn't function correctly

it is stable on my machine with Win8.1 64bit but install and deinstall it few times cuz same sht happens - mozilla stop working it sais 'connection not secure' what this mean,are these guys messing with lan settings or what,some virus maybe can't use it this way - anyone with similar problem ?

_al_ wrote:so i was round my mates house, who i make music with and i was telling him that sonar was now free, and maybe we should install and see if he prefers it over FL.
he was like "didn't you switch to FL because sonar's bugs totalled all your tracks?" and i'm like "yeah but that was about 10 years ago, they must have sorted it out by now"

so i install (curious now, because he's on 64bit and i'm not, so i never seen it yet), and start to show him audiosnap, which i know is what he'll love most, and suddenly everything freezes.
ok, lets give them the benefit of the doubt here, was maybe just unlucky. restart, reload project, move a few audiosnap markers, freeze.
getting annoyed, restart, reload, move markers very slowly, and still sonar freezes.
on the third attempt we sit there chatting for 20 mins, hoping it will recover, but it never does, so i say "well this is some cutting edge technology, maybe we shouldn't move the markers while the song is playing" and then i remember i was having the same audiosnap problem 8 or 9 years ago.

uninstalled.
sorry bandlab, i gave you a chance, but my mate has a 26gb processor or something, and it still couldn't function correctly

I am new to Sonar, so I knew nothing about audiosnap until I read this post.

Anyway, I have read up about it, and its quantize for audio,much like quantize for midi.

So I recorded a short guitar loop, enabled audiosnap, and moved markers around for 20 minutes. It sometimes did strange things to the sound, but unable to get it to freeze. I did however manage to freeze it by moving the threshold slider while it was playing,but I do not think you are supposed to do that anyway. It did cause the audio to stop working.

I am not sure that I have a need for audiosnap, I think its just easier to re-record a part. But it may have a purpose for correcting audio from a live band session where getting a musician to re-record a part may not be possible and a wayward track needs to be pulled into beat.

_al_ wrote:uninstalled.
sorry bandlab, I gave you a chance, but my mate has a 26gb processor or something, and it still couldn't function correctly
Hmm... Judging from the bolded, you don't seem very computer savvy. Maybe you are doing something wrong?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
_al_ wrote:uninstalled.
sorry bandlab, I gave you a chance, but my mate has a 26gb processor or something, and it still couldn't function correctly
Hmm... Judging from the bolded, you don't seem very computer savvy. Maybe you are doing something wrong?
Yeah, everyone knows that processors only come in uneven numbers.

My processor is only 19gb and it did not freeze. :hihi:

flugel45 wrote:A year or so ago, it was common to see Melodyne Essentials licenses for sale here cheap ($15-30 range). People were accumulating multiple copies while DAW surfing, and dumping the extras in the marketplace.

Now that Bandlab's Cakewalk is free and includes ARA support, it's definitely worth a look here for a secondhand copy of ME (Assuming that Celemony still allows license transfers).
+1 to the suggestion above for acquiring a cheap used Melodyne Essentials license.

I have the impression that Cakewalk replaced Audiosnap with ARA/Melodyne support.

In that case I wouldn't expect them to keep trying to improve Audiosnap any further. It has worked fine for some, but others have complained. Probably depends on how you use it. http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3072289
Last edited by zzz00m on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”