Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

2 oscillators with multiple waves on Osc1 (like on the Sh-101) plus a sub-oscillator with two level switch. It really packs a powerul punch and for sheer 'weight' of sound should outperfom the SE-02.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

transmetropolitan wrote:From what I've seen/heard of D so far there's no sonic reason to go elsewhere,it's really hard to beat from vfm perspective.
It's very good. When I compared it side-by-side with my Little Phatty, I thought the Model D sounded brighter and less warm but then I turned the filter down and made them sound almost identical. It seems that Moog set to their maximum cutoff range lower to make the Little Phatty seem warmer. ;)

One advantage of the SE-02 is the internal mixer, which makes it easier to poly chain.

himalaya wrote:2 oscillators with multiple waves on Osc1 (like on the Sh-101) plus a sub-oscillator with two level switch. It really packs a powerul punch and for sheer 'weight' of sound should outperfom the SE-02.
Should it, though? I wouldn't be totally surprised if it does but the SE-02 holds up well against my ATC-1.

Well, it's all about how one approaches both synths. But, my post was hyperbolic on purpose to simply highlight the fact the 5089 isn't 'just' a simple 2-osc synth. There is much more to those oscillators which some may not realise. And of course, the SE-O2 is a superb synth! I'm just mentioning the 5089, in context of those knobs...

It's not that I don't rate the 5089. I think it's really awesome. I just don't know that I can justify the price differential vs Model D.

You are right. The SE-02 is a great deal, and a lot of synth for the money. It's a great collab between Roland and SE.

Interestingly, I just checked the price of Boomstars and they are higher than what I remember them to be. As far as I recall they were retailing at about £800, but now they are around the £1000+ price mark. A bit too steep, imho. I think in the current market with so many other analog synths, a more realistic (or competitive) price for the Boomstars would be about £700 RRP, with a 'street' price of £600-£650, I think.

Have you tried the Korg ARP Odyssey? That’s a stunningly good synth and quite reasonably priced considering it’s duophonic. I just wish it polychained.

Me? I have the Creamware Prodyssey, so my 'Oddy' needs are covered, although I bet the Krog version sounds better...(haven't tried it yet).

Uncle E wrote:Have you tried the Korg ARP Odyssey? That’s a stunningly good synth and quite reasonably priced considering it’s duophonic. I just wish it polychained.
I don't have the hardware but you know what's really started to bug me about Korg's Odyssey VSTi - the damned thing doesn't respond to velocity. That's just taking things too far and I'm finding it really limits how much I can use it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

himalaya wrote:Me? I have the Creamware Prodyssey, so my 'Oddy' needs are covered, although I bet the Krog version sounds better...(haven't tried it yet).
12-notes polyphony, 256 patch memory, and the added Minimoog filter probably trumps sound quality. ;)

BONES wrote:I don't have the hardware but you know what's really started to bug me about Korg's Odyssey VSTi - the damned thing doesn't respond to velocity. That's just taking things too far and I'm finding it really limits how much I can use it.
I think that's the case with the hardware, as well.

Leaving out a patch memory on the hardware is even more stupid, so I'll bet it doesn't. It's such a shame because we've got some great sounds out of it, it's just that we can only use them in certain circumstances.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I saw the SE-02 in person today. Even after reading this discussion, I was surprised how tiny it actually is. There is barely enough room to get your fingers in between the tiny knobs. I don't understand what the thinking was behind this design.

Yeah, it's strange to make a synth with knobs, where access to those knobs is compromised. Defeats the purpose of having those knobs in the first place, right?

I think this follows Roland's recent design approach with all these Boutique synths: make them small enough so that they don't take too much space on people's work spaces, so that you can fit several of them side by side....

...or maybe the designer had very tiny hands and designed the hardware around tiny fingers? :D

Uncle E wrote:
himalaya wrote:Me? I have the Creamware Prodyssey, so my 'Oddy' needs are covered, although I bet the Krog version sounds better...(haven't tried it yet).
12-notes polyphony, 256 patch memory, and the added Minimoog filter probably trumps sound quality. ;)
That Minimoog filter does change the sound drastically! Has to be said. It's a great addition to this synth...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”