FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
mholloway
KVRian
956 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49 pm

FWIW Diva has been able to use unison voice mapping ("stack index") as a modulation source since its release in 2012.

It's a neat feature, but I'm not sure how this thread got derailed into BITWIG DOES THIS, NOT JUST CYPHER as if that's such a revelation?

Anyway.

I'm not thrilled with the Cypher 2 UI, so far. I think it's overloaded and ugly.

Presets... don't know yet, need to play a few more. They are better than Strobe 2's, but that's setting the bar very low. Strobe2 was a case of "let's blast the FX on every single patch to the point where anything the synth engine is doing is barely recognizable."
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

Jonny Quest
KVRian
514 posts since 28 Dec, 2004

Re: FXpansion releases Cypher2

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote: I’m not sure yet how I feel about the sound. I guess I feel the same as v1 where I liked it sometimes but it often made sounds I distinctly do not like. But you’re right, the in it’s right place sound was pretty spot on.
Just as an aside, and to understand your perspective, what are you favourite synths and types of sounds you like?

I will demo Cypher 2 and see if can deliver for my needs. I usually can find some good in most synths, but is rare that one synth does it all for me. But that's probably more about me than the synths :o :lol:

lastmessiah
KVRist
65 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 pm

mholloway wrote:FWIW Diva has been able to use unison voice mapping ("stack index") as a modulation source since its release in 2012.

It's a neat feature, but I'm not sure how this thread got derailed into BITWIG DOES THIS, NOT JUST CYPHER as if that's such a revelation?
Someone asked a question and I tried to answer.

Regarding the UI, there is a lot going on so of course it will look busy. The vector graphics are ace in my opinion, I wish more virtual instruments would employ them.

cthonophonic
KVRist
120 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm

moshimoshi wrote:I've not used Bitwig so maybe I'm missing something, but how would a DAW-based modulation system be able to address the multiple voices of a synth polyphonically?
Jeskola Buzz can do per-voice modulation of all the MPE parameters except release velocity/lift (and maybe there's even a way to do that, but I don't know of it). Because it's a tracker, you just assign each track a MIDI channel (between 2 and 15), et voila!, you have per-voice control via the tone portamento and vibrato commands, CC74, channel aftertouch, etc. This kind of control has always been one of the strengths of the tracker interface generally (as opposed to a piano roll), but it's only since MPE has come around that we've really been able to take advantage of it with VSTs .

deastman
KVRAF
6756 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:08 pm

ChamomileShark wrote:I'm a Seaboard owner so it's $79 for me.

The MPE is the biggest draw for me - but I'm wondering if I could achieve similar results/ sounds by messing around in Falcon - even if it were just editing the current MPE presets.
You could, potentially. Personally, I find Falcon about as much fun as Excel.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

digitalboytn
KVRian
1206 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:24 pm

mholloway wrote:Strobe2 was a case of "let's blast the FX on every single patch to the point where anything the synth engine is doing is barely recognizable."
:tu:

This is true with many of the offerings these days...

They are so loaded with effects,that the synth itself is unrecognisable...

I like to get the sounds right in the synth and THEN add any effects to enhance that core sound...

Too many effects will lead to a very messy mix ....

It's better to focus on the fundamentals and get them right :wink:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....

samsam
KVRAF
1898 posts since 9 Dec, 2008

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

So FX have abandoned a load of products?

f**k that.

Seriously, 2018 and such well loaded DAWs and cheap hardware, plug-ins look much less appealing, to me anyway.

Sorry, enjoy the synth everyone, no doubt it's a cool instrument.

fisherKing
KVRAF
1721 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:45 pm

digitalboytn wrote:
mholloway wrote:Strobe2 was a case of "let's blast the FX on every single patch to the point where anything the synth engine is doing is barely recognizable."
:tu:

This is true with many of the offerings these days...

They are so loaded with effects,that the synth itself is unrecognisable...

I like to get the sounds right in the synth and THEN add any effects to enhance that core sound...

Too many effects will lead to a very messy mix ....

It's better to focus on the fundamentals and get them right :wink:

what difference does it make how you get to a sound? in some cases, 'effects' can be integral to the final 'sound'; with synths, what does 'fundamental' even mean? it's the end result that counts, no matter how you get there.

a great sound is a great sound...
always one plugin short of perfection...

Bandaide
KVRer
24 posts since 21 May, 2015

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Not sure I get the GUI complaints. I've got a large monitor, but it pretty looks good to me:

(You can close the browser window too.)

yellowmix
KVRian
706 posts since 11 Aug, 2012

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Cypher (1) for comparison.
cypher1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JerGoertz
KVRAF
2102 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Does anyone know if the same filter code from version 1 is retained in (some of) the filter models for version 2?
A well-behaved signature.

nusound mind
KVRist
92 posts since 21 Jan, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Was curious but no big expectations b/c I'm not crazy w/ the sound of Strobe 2, much prefer Strobe 1, but loving the sound of Cypher 2 so far. Maybe not everything it spits out but often enough a sound will hit some real sweet spots. Seems deep like Cypher 1 which I was a fan of.

One thing I don't like is the pop-ups, any way to disable that? Cpu a little high for everyday use also. Gui not the most stylish but it's functional and straightforward enough to roll with. If those pop-ups can be gotten rid of and the cpu is improved I'm buying this, esp. w/ the SS crossgrade price. I didn't see an option to disable the pop-ups in my 30minute demo test drive.

Grizzellda
KVRist
489 posts since 21 Feb, 2015

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:17 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Grizzellda wrote:
recursive one wrote:Guys, what you are saying is... that I need to ditch my beloved win7 and move on? No fkn way...
:hihi: :hihi: I hear ya dude, I'm on Windows 7 too...
Legend has it that you own a copy of Windows 10, but you won't install it unless someone can convince you that Microsoft is still a real company :P :P :wink: :wink: :D :D :wink: :wink: :P :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: HaHa! zinger, and a good one. But it may not be quite accurate to compare FXpansion, a small audio application company, to Microsoft, a large OS company. :hihi:

Seriously though, new Ryzen systems need W10.

Basically, getting a new computer is gonna mean a modern OS. Well, Cypher 2 needs a High Res screen, and then a good graphics card with up-to-date drivers. And how long until good graphics cards with up-to-date drivers will only run on W10?

In the other thread I guess I was simply questioning where FXpansion was as a company, and now we see that they have just stopped supporting a bunch of stuff. It would be great to have next generation versions of these products...maybe that is what they are doing. That would be cool, man.

System Requirements for Cypher 2

Windows 10 (x64) / Mac OSX 10.11 or later (x64).

Intel Core i5-2400 or AMD (2011 or newer) processor with AVX instruction set (Intel Core i7 recommended).

4GB RAM (8GB RAM recommended).
Internet connection for product download and authorization.
It looks like all the other stuff, even Strobe 2, still support W7.

Cinebient
KVRAF
3618 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:38 am

Second day with the demo and i begin to really like it more. The GUI is really a pain for me but with microtuning support and with a Seaboard it´s an awesome performer for sure.
I still prefer Equator as the best MPE synth, especially the GUI is much much better.
I´m still not sure if i can get used to the general sound.
I think it´s mainly great of course to play some living leads and stuff but especially the FX are not good for me. The reverb isn´t something i would want to use at all here. The saturation/distortion isn´t great as well.
If you own a MPE controller and like to use these kind of sounds it´s a wonderful synth.
If you don´t want/need/use MPE at all i would say there are much better synths out there in terms of sound quality, OSC, FX etc.
Just my 2cents. That can change of course. But since it is really cpu heavy i can get quite more interesting sounds with using an instance per midi channel with other tools and still can use a ton of FX on top.....per instance/channel as well.
A lot of the presets are indeed really great. But you have to perform them MPE style to really appreciate it.
I have no problem with using a lot FX as part of a presets since it belongs to sound design but there is something in most of the included FX i really don´t like. They just don´t sound good and doesn´t give a feel of depth i like. At the same time they color the sound extreme mostly where i have other tools where the FX sound much better and still don´t color the sound too much but works perfect together with the raw sound.
Hard to explain.
So it´s not an insta buy but i might still grab it before the intro price is gone.
Main downside is the GUI in 2018 for me. Might be just me but after 10 minutes i get headache and my eyes get really tired. I wish it was more close to something like U-he GUI´s but it´s more to something like Virsyn´s abandoned desktop stuff. Maybe usable on bigger screens and maybe it´s anyway more for powerful desktop workstations rather than notebooks i prefer to use.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10542 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:54 am

Cinebient wrote:i might still grab it before the intro price is gone.
Even after the current intro price, the crossgrade deal is still very good :tu:

Return to “Instruments”