Bitwig Studio 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:55 pm Hence, I almost always wind up in Logic—using a Bitwig theme. Logic has some strange ways of doing things, but it’s much easier for track-based audio recording and has some great-sounding instruments.
I really like Logic too... The thing that bugs me most about Logic is you cannot use two controllers at the same time.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:23 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:55 pm Hence, I almost always wind up in Logic—using a Bitwig theme. Logic has some strange ways of doing things, but it’s much easier for track-based audio recording and has some great-sounding instruments.
I really like Logic too... The thing that bugs me most about Logic is you cannot use two controllers at the same time.
Really? Can't you make an aggregate device like you can with audio?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

''you cannot use two controllers at the same time.'
Really? Never used Logic but that would be a big deal for me!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:26 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:23 pm
Really? Can't you make an aggregate device like you can with audio?

/C
What I meant is two controllers, each controlling a track (or tracks). In Logic all controllers are active at the same time on every track.

It can be done in Logic's 'Environment'... a geek code-ish tool built into Logic. But it takes some learning and is not at all user friendly.

In Bitwig, you just select a controller per track and go.

I've always liked an easy-to-learn, accessible modular synth (like the semi-modular U-He Bazille for example). It sparks creativity where regular synths can not. Having the option natively in a DAW is just... great :) Looking forward to this.

I do find it harder to actually make music in Bitwig because I regularly end up playing with all the modulation toys instead. :) With this modular stuff I'm never gonna finish another song! ;-)

Personally, I tested Bitwig version 1 and I was really taken by the improvements over Live, even then. Version 1 had no group tracks if I recall though, which was a bit of a letdown for my workflow at the time, but nesting combats the need for group tracks mostly (for my workflow now), ironically, I didn't realise this at the time.

Bitwig 2 was everything I needed and the updates since have surpassed my expectations. I've used almost every DAW out there for long enough to see each of their pros and cons, and I've had a few ideas of my own that I didn't find in any DAW. I was expecting an update but I wasn't prepared for the grid. With the Grid, Bitwig and synth become one, the DAW inseperable from the instrument, and no limitations, not running out of LFOs or envelopes etc. The power of the modules for sound design across an entire chain of effects, rather than just internally, is just awesome. If I can think it, I can most likely do it. Awesome, genuinely excited about Bitwig 3 in a way that I've never really been excited about a DAW before. It's like they know me.

One qualm. Please, make better use of screen space. Tracks should be able to be resized to a much smaller scale than they are now, and, while the arrangement is zoomed out, and clips of a bar or less are relatively small, we need to be able to activate the loop tool without having to zoom in and out all the time. So much time wasted zooming in and out.

I also think that scrolling through device chains takes a long time and it's the reason I left ableton in the first place, so if there's anything that can be done there, maybe a small clickable visual of the chain instead of a scroll bar, so that clicking on the device goes to that device.

Ableton is for fanboys, Bitwig is for people who know what they are doing, and I genuinely think Bitwig 3 is going to spawn a whole new sound, a revolution in sound. Bring it on.

Stamped Records wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 pm Ableton is for fanboys,
That's just wrong. That's make you sound like one of those actually.
I love Bitwig but I was a long time user of Live and M4L.
Very powerful and successful platform with high level of professionals.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Biscotto wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:56 pm
Stamped Records wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 pm Ableton is for fanboys,
That's just wrong. That's make you sound like one of those actually.
I love Bitwig but I was a long time user of Live and M4L.
Very powerful and successful platform with high level of professionals.
Slight correction - I've met A LOT of Ableton fanboys, you know, the kind of people who are more a part of the Ableton club, than an actual Ableton 'user'. I find it akin to Apple in that respect.

I think the thing with Ableton, is that a lot of serious people started using it in the beginning and it's popularity spawned a 'culture' that doesn't really know why they are using it vs. something else.

Stamped Records wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 pm I think the thing with Ableton, is that a lot of serious people started using it in the beginning
"...now and in the future".
We could say the same for FL, Reaper, Logic Etc.
Yes, fanboy-ism can't be avoided but I focus on the Software and what it can do for me.
Hopefully BW will have the same destiny as of Live: Fantastic user base.

I like both ones (AL, BWS) but the absence of MIDI note slicing is nonsense in AL ( https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=229785 ), so if u are trance (for ex.) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgciGILWjbY
BWS seems better option, listenig back those chords notes ... well :D cmon Bitwig
Last edited by xbitz on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I was enjoying a relatively drama free discussion and you have to drop “fanboy” on it? I’m happy you’re in love, but how about just leaving it at that and let your “ex”, which is a fine DAW in its own right, alone?

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:19 pm I was enjoying a relatively drama free discussion and you have to drop “fanboy” on it? I’m happy you’re in love, but how about just leaving it at that and let your “ex”, which is a fine DAW in its own right, alone?
Yes please...

And if all goes well... we might have a Bitwig 3 beta in the next week!! :tu:

I am quite anxious to see the grid! I enjoy playing with Mulab’s Mux.

I mean... there is a-lot of Bitwig FanBoys too, often with the chip on their shoulder of using the lesser known and younger product :hihi: .
I am a bit like that, Parading the unique features of Bitwig to my Buddys using Logic and Ableton :hihi: Although I still Use Ableton A-lot to be fair, especially the Demo to 10.1 with Wonderful Workflow enhancements.

I mean at the End of the Day, not to be Clique, all that Matters is the Music is Good. I mean someone could make an Electronic Anthem using LMMS. Or make one Ablulm with 3 different Daws, If it sounds good then who is anyone to criticize. :shrug:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:40 pm I am quite anxious to see the grid! I enjoy playing with Mulab’s Mux.
The MUX it's great and Mulab is truly modular, but just the GUI of The Grid it's a killer to begin with.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”