u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Breach The Sky
KVRist
32 posts since 8 Oct, 2018

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

ZaBong69 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 am
Had a testdrive today with the new features in 1.2, including writing my first wavetable scripts - what a ride.

I must say that Hive quickly grows on me again. It was the first UHE synth I bought back in 2015, when I hardly knew what I was doing, and you could say that there where times that I regretted that decision, especially after buying Zebra and Diva. But learning a few things in the last three years, it seems that I matured into using a "simple" synth. There is far more to it than meets the eye at first, especially with the new 1.2 features... all sounds (including drums) in the following track are Hive 1.2
Nice work! I did a similar journey like you. Went from those "super-synths" to appreciate excellent sound quality and focused workflow. Things you find in Hive.
I really need to get in to scripting uhm's. It's seems so complicated tough!

pdxindy
KVRAF
14760 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:53 pm

ZaBong69 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 am
There is far more to it than meets the eye at first, especially with the new 1.2 features... all sounds (including drums) in the following track are Hive 1.2

https://soundcloud.com/zabong/second-coming-mix-123
Nice track!

1.2 really put Hive over the top.

PieBerger
KVRist
166 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Amen to that. Such a simple, powerful and fun synth. If I can find the time to learn how to script complex FM tables, I can probably drop Serum and fully submit to Hive!
Always Read the Manual!

Ploki
KVRian
539 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm

PieBerger wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm
pdxindy wrote:

Amen to that. Such a simple, powerful and fun synth. If I can find the time to learn how to script complex FM tables, I can probably drop Serum and fully submit to Hive!
i already did - not before backing up Serum WT folder. :wheee:

Russell Grand
KVRAF
1656 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Ploki wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm
PieBerger wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm
pdxindy wrote:

i already did - not before backing up Serum WT folder. :wheee:
If I ever sold Serum, that's what I would do too. :hihi:

ZaBong69
KVRist
130 posts since 5 Oct, 2015

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 am

Breach The Sky wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

Nice work! I did a similar journey like you. Went from those "super-synths" to appreciate excellent sound quality and focused workflow. Things you find in Hive.
I really need to get in to scripting uhm's. It's seems so complicated tough!
It actually is not. I can see where this is going, even though I had only a few hours with it. I will probably only steal different waveforms from other scripts, place them into my own wavetables as corners of a 2x2 table and simply morph between them. This alone provides endless possibilities.

If I get the time this week, I write a template for this.

K

tony10000
KVRist
249 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 am

I wonder if it would be possible for u-he to create a waveform generator app that would provide parameters that you can manipulate via controls rather than writing scripts?

PieBerger
KVRist
166 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 am

tony10000 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 am
I wonder if it would be possible for u-he to create a waveform generator app that would provide parameters that you can manipulate via controls rather than writing scripts?
Urs wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 am
Adding an editor also means that the wavetables have to be stored in the preset.

But as I always say, as cool as editors are, they are not useful for creating smoothly sweeping wavetables. You need to either convert samples somehow or create them algorithmically. If you want smooth transitions over 100 frames, you'll never "paint" them one-by-one. And if you do, you're going to be much faster in our scripting language. You can even learn the whole .uhm scripting language before you finish your first self-painted-100-frame-smoothly-sweeping wavetable.
Seems unlikely. AFAIK Sonic Academy are currently developing a plugin/editor for making wavetables (presumably for ANA2, but they will work in Serum, Hive and any other WT synth that excepts .wav formats). This will cater to the "visual" programming crowd, while UHM scripting can offer a different experience for those who prefer IDE-style programming.
Always Read the Manual!

Ploki
KVRian
539 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm

i bet you could whip that up in Max.
in fact, i wanted to... but then got tired

vitocorleone123
KVRist
138 posts since 30 Jun, 2014

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Just purchase Hive as my modern/wavetable polysynth to compliment Diva and Repro. I'm looking forward to 2.0! Lots of synth to learn in the mean time....

anttimaatteri
KVRist
240 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:56 am

this is an awesome extension of hive. i just experimented with hives default presets by adding wavetables to the sounds and it was like a bulldozer tryin to shove me out of the room^^. which in turn catapults the plugin on first place of my 2019 gas-list^^.

Teksonik
KVRAF
12041 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:25 am

I've had a lot of fun the last couple of days with the current version of Hive. Played it for hours and made a bunch of patches some of which were the starting points for projects. I'd like to share some of the fruits of my labor. Here are about 17 patches I did for Hive some of which use the new WT feature. I'll keep the download link up for an hour or so. :)

Teksonik Hive 2
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”