Does Melody Even Matter??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Guys,
I wanted to open up this discussion on melody. Does it even matter?
Check out my thoughts on it here and would love to hear what you think!

https://youtu.be/kueKISIV3Y4

I’m not taking the time to watch your video just to find out your opinion. It seems like a troll question. Melody has been a pretty important part of music throughout the ages. Melody is the primary way in which music relates to language. It is the spoken message of music.

Edit:
Oh, I get it. You’re starting topics just to promote your YouTube channel.
viewtopic.php?p=7322559
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Yeah, if I have to look at your stupid face for 30 minutes, I don't think you are going to get much traction with my reply. If you want to start a discussion, start a discussion, don't post a video.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Isn't this kind of shit against forum rules of some kind?

Honestly, I'm pretty sick of human filth trying to make bank on ignoramuses with click-bait and lowest-common-denominator "discussions." Cool, you'll get some ad revenue and maybe sell a course or newsletter to some lazy retard who will start and stop as fast as 350 lb person starting up a gym membership at New Years...I suppose that's all you really want, is some cheap money. But you've accomplished nothing of worth with this BS... but you know that already too.

I didn't click or watch the video -- I'm not going to give you the ad money.

Going to head on over to a writing forum now and start posting videos with titles like "Plot: Why Bother?"

Gotta get those clicks, man.

About as bad a click-bait title as it gets.

A couple of title ideas for your upcoming videos:
- You are NOT on the internet
- Are people still making music?

BTW, good time to share my new rules for Youtube. The following gets auto-downvote:
- click bait titles, regardless of the quality of the content
- asking "like and subscribe" before saying anything of substance
- Using a topic-specific title, then trying to video-blog instead of getting to the topic

I encourage all to adopt these standards.

I vote fish.

Tough crowd.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

To answer the question:
Does Melody Even Matter??
Yes.

I lasted approximately 30 seconds before giving up.

Here's a hint: don't do the standard YT thing of "Hey guys, how's it goin'? I was thinking about bread, um, and whether bread is good. And I thought let's talk about bread for a while..."

And for bonus points, at least bung in some text about what the viewer can expect. What are they going to get out of watching this? Because this just looks like 30 minutes of stream of consciousness shower thoughts. And those are far from rare on the interwebz.

As for discussion, I've got no idea what the video actually concludes but on the basis that it's probably to do with the fact that music for picture and games and some dance music (eg Drumcode-style techno) doesn't have fully formed melodies. Instead you have rhythmic or ambient underscore elements.

In which case, I'd say motives matter. All music has a motive. If it's got a rhythm, which may just be a repeated sound, it's got a motive even though it's banging on the same note. It just may not develop into a full melody.

However, if you take the example of dance music such as techno, I think you could argue there is often what you might call a "hypermelody" - a long-distance evolution of the motive. It never develops a traditional melody but there are changes that give the overall piece a structure and which the listener can perceive as call and response and other structures you'd find in regular melodies - but they're extended over a period of several minutes.

Not necessarily

depends on context.

if im stood in the middle of the road, theres a truck careering out of control, hurtling towards me, then no, melody probably would not be important.

KBSoundSmith wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:23 am Isn't this kind of shit against forum rules of some kind?

Honestly, I'm pretty sick of human filth trying to make bank on ignoramuses with click-bait and lowest-common-denominator "discussions."
Lol...

Take a look at how many people promote their soundsets here by posting "useful sound demos" in synthesizer or effect threads. Maybe you can rant about that "human filth" as well then.

Wow you guys are brutal here! Have a great day everyone!

Return to “Music Theory”