Views on Reaper!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All three are great DAWs though I’ve used and abandoned all three for various reasons. Make sure you’re familiar with using touch before making that a deciding factor. The only computer I ever found it doable on was the Surface Studio with it laid nearly flat. Otherwise it’s simply too tiring to the arms to use exclusively for a prolonged period. Even with that I wound up using the mouse most of the time.

My Studio
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7760&p=6718002#p6718002
My touch monitor is mostly for controllers and plugins. But when in the touch mode often it is easier for simple edits to touch the DAW on the top monitor. For more detailed editing on the top monitor which is not touch capable the mouse I agree is the way to go.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 pm I will soon have to decide on my main or one and only DAW.
My new fast PC is getting ready to become a music creation monster.
The contenders are Reaper, Studio One and Cubase, the latest versions.
All ARA or soon to be.
All three are great DAW's.

Reaper is slight favorite however it is missing multi-touch capability.
Does it have single touch capability?
It is missing the some of the MIDI capabilities of Cubase.
It is more difficult to use than Studio One.
But the list of the advantages are is as long as its drop down menus.

One deciding factor will be how well any of the above DAW's implement ARA2.
And looking froward to Reaper 6 release and what new it will offer.
This is me and not you. But of those 3 my favorite and the only one I really use (Although I do have a copy of Reaper from long back I mess with) is Cubase.
SO4 is great too and some absolutely love it but It never clicked with me for unknown reasons. It however has the Gentlest Payment option if you dig the Splice 15$ Pay Per month thing...Other people absolutely loathe that style so it depends on the Individual :hihi:

Only issue with Cubase, being an otherwise wonderful program is that it's 2019 and it
Still. Uses. This. Tiny. Easy To Loose. D O N G L E
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

I switched from Logic to Reaper a few years ago.
I make EDM and Reaper is more efficient that logic, better automation, customization, shortcuts, CPU efficient, frequently updated, usefull community, user scripts, ripple editing, and don't need an expensive underspec'ed mac to run ... :D

I agree Reapers midi is better then Abletons in fact Reaper has been able to edit multiple midi tracks at the same time for years something Ableton has recently just implemented. Also love the snap the scale function of Reaper for those who don't have all the scales memorized. Also love how you can edit midi in the timeline instead of having to open the editor every time.

enroe wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:20 pm no decent pitch editor
Huh? You know about the time stretching ability, right? Where you can drop in points on a spline, stretch the audio around piecemeal and still have it stay the same pitch, right? Or the built-in autotune stuff based on Elastiqué Pro?

I know Reaper doesn't come with a lot of stuff, but I always thought it had a lot of great ways to manipulate pitch and time.

sleepcircle wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:05 pm
enroe wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:20 pm no decent pitch editor
Huh? You know about the time stretching ability, right? Where you can drop in points on a spline, stretch the audio around piecemeal and still have it stay the same pitch, right? Or the built-in autotune stuff based on Elastiqué Pro?

I know Reaper doesn't come with a lot of stuff, but I always thought it had a lot of great ways to manipulate pitch and time.
Hell, yeah, the Elastiqué Pro-algorithm is fantastic!
Also the stretch-marker design in Reaper is awesome!

But: Here we compare Reaper to the top dog "Apple Logic". And
that has the built-in "Flex-Pro-editor". Here you can draw a line
and decide for every single syllable how much pitch-, formant-,
drift- and vibrato-correction you want. In Cubase we have
"VariAudio" - with quite overwhelming editing features - just
like "Flex-Pro".

When finally Reaper gets the ARA-2-interface we can load Melodyne
into Reaper and have that pitch-flexibility too. But we need this
third-party-add-on.

The built-in plugin "ReaTune" uses the Elastiqué Pro-algorithm,
but its editor is very very rudimentary. And that is what I meant
by "no decent pitch editor".
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Ahhhhh, I see; gotcha.
(I love stretch markers though)

How would you rate Reaper's midi event list editor to Cubase and Sonars?
I believe Studio One and FL Studio do not have one.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 pm IOne deciding factor will be how well any of the above DAW's implement ARA2.
Reaper has just released 5.97 with ARA2.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Kypresso wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 pm IOne deciding factor will be how well any of the above DAW's implement ARA2.
Reaper has just released 5.97 with ARA2.
Where is the celebration?
Where it the champagne

Kypresso wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 pm Reaper has just released 5.97 with ARA2.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:37 pm Where is the celebration?
Where it the champagne

From 5.965 to 5.970
I'm celebrating. It's probably meaningless but that's a "5 minor version" decimal jump.

I noticed the installer is named 5.97 and not 5.970.
I hope it means just 3 more updates till REAPER 6.0 arrives.
Unlikely.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Another happy Reaper user here. I switched from Cubase to Reaper a few years ago and never had to look back again. It may be just me, but the switch wasn't painfull (from Cubase), and I didn't felt like I had to relearn completely everything from the start, it felt pretty straightforward to me.

But of course there's things to considerate. There's many great tutorial video on Cocko's website that helped a lot. I may complain a little about some issues with hardware console, it's not the best one for that sometimes. For some other things, you have to tweak a little sometimes as well, but in the end I never felt like there was major issues that made me regret my choice.
Video game music arrangements and compositions:
https://www.youtube.com/c/LordBifMusic

Reaper: great for creative work, all over the place for technicals.

HanafiH wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:27 pm Reaper: great for creative work, all over the place for technicals.
I would like to know examples of what is technically cumbersome or difficult in reaper in terms of technical stuff (and what those technical things even are)
:dog:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”