FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Rastkovic
KVRist
82 posts since 26 Jul, 2018 from North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Post Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Good choices, Softube Modular and Reaktor Blocks are also very nice.

For me the sound synthesis and saturation possibilities are pretty important, rather than replicating a particular synth. I don't know a third synth besides Strobe & Cypher with similar options (shaper, filter drive, vca saturation) and sound.
::keep calm, and make great sounds

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6756 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: FXpansion releases Cypher2

Post Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 pm
Rastkovic wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm
Best analogue sounding software synth on the planet.
Errrrm... Nope. It's very very good, but it's not the best :)
I agree, but it's pretty hard to say naything is best. I will say that Cypher's everything in its right place patch is every bit as good as the repro version. Though I tend to prefer repro for typical classic analog as well.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:46 am

I heard back from FXpansion about the issue I reported where changing a parameter permanently affects the modulation range (and will completely remove modulation if you tweak the parameter to it's max and/or min value and back). They said that's just how it works for now. I'm really surprised I haven't heard anything about this. I guess nobody tweaks parameters while modulation is applied. That might be a showstopper for me, not sure.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Halonmusic
KVRAF
2572 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Rastkovic wrote:
Well maybe he/she think its the best. Ever heard of opinions? ;)
Don't be a Sheep. :borg: | Opinions matters :evil:

codec_spurt
KVRAF
3595 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 pm
EvilDragon wrote:
Rastkovic wrote:

Never mind opinions. Does anybody remember laughter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5DPFcI9yfQ
"you're all GUI whores." - banned KVR member 'snooky'.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
31046 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 pm

The new Cypher soundbanks are on sale and amazingly good

Halonmusic
KVRAF
2572 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:55 am

codec_spurt wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 pm
EvilDragon wrote:
Rastkovic wrote:

Never mind opinions. Does anybody remember laughter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5DPFcI9yfQ
:ud:
Don't be a Sheep. :borg: | Opinions matters :evil:

acYm
KVRian
1004 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:46 am
I heard back from FXpansion about the issue I reported where changing a parameter permanently affects the modulation range (and will completely remove modulation if you tweak the parameter to it's max and/or min value and back). They said that's just how it works for now. I'm really surprised I haven't heard anything about this. I guess nobody tweaks parameters while modulation is applied. That might be a showstopper for me, not sure.
yeah that's highly ghetto and compromises the ability to make motion sequences with these instruments... clearly they were like bah, they can just use MPE for that kind of thing (hint: 95% of users can't)

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:57 pm

acYm wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 am
yeah that's highly ghetto and compromises the ability to make motion sequences with these instruments... clearly they were like bah, they can just use MPE for that kind of thing (hint: 95% of users can't)
Its' very odd, I've never seen any other synth act this way. And I'm very surprised people haven't complained more about this.

Angus_FX
KVRAF
4673 posts since 18 Jul, 2002 from London, UK

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 pm

yeah that's highly ghetto and compromises the ability to make motion sequences with these instruments
The five PERF modulation inputs and four internal step sequencers are usable for this with or without MPE. Granted it does constrain the ability to use external CCs/DAW bound to controls which are themselves modulated - it's something we're going to look at for the next update.

Until quite recently, no other software synth had TransMod-like workflow, which is one reason why you wouldn't have seen this behaviour elsewhere & perhaps why the beta testers didn't think to report it -- they probably hadn't seen Hive 2 or Pigments, or if they had were under NDA at the time.
ROLI | FXpansion
FX Twitter | FX YouTube

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:43 pm

With the latest updates many params in Cypher 2 and Strobe 2 seem to have completely different automation IDs. All the work I did to map params to hardware knobs in Komplete Kontrol needs redoing because of this.

Angus_FX
KVRAF
4673 posts since 18 Jul, 2002 from London, UK

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 pm

We're aware of that - again, unfortunately this was not reported by the betagroup despite it being with them for quite a while - please keep your old mappings handy as we'll most likely change the order back to the old one in the next update.
ROLI | FXpansion
FX Twitter | FX YouTube

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:33 am

Good thanks

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:57 pm
acYm wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 am
Its' very odd, I've never seen any other synth act this way. And I'm very surprised people haven't complained more about this.
Me too - very annoying when used with a controller as it breaks the preset

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Angus_FX wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 pm
yeah that's highly ghetto and compromises the ability to make motion sequences with these instruments
Until quite recently, no other software synth had TransMod-like workflow, which is one reason why you wouldn't have seen this behaviour elsewhere & perhaps why the beta testers didn't think to report it -- they probably hadn't seen Hive 2 or Pigments, or if they had were under NDA at the time.
As far as assigning a modulator to a control by dragging a ring around it to assign the mod amount, Massive had been doing this for some time and when you move the modulated control up or down the full range and back, the mod amount stays the same and the ring keeps its range regardless of where you've moved the control. Same for Roli's Equator, it keeps it modulation when moving the control. Those are just a couple that I have with a similar mod assignment, but I'm sure others behave correctly out there. Anyways, good to hear you guys will look at this for a subsequent release.

Return to “Instruments”