How much does the color/ finish of a guitar matter to you?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a continuation from the "your next guitar" thread. At one time the color of a guitar wasn't that important which lead me to having five black guitars. Different models same color.

Grain patterns have nothing to do with tone. I've had more than my fair share of "bursts", "trans" and natural finish bodies. It's not to say that I'm going to only seek out solid color guitars from here on, But I'm ready to go back to one.

To me it's a $200 difference in the budget guitar I'm intending to buy. I may just splurge to get a guitar of a different color than I've had in the past.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Tobacco burst!

A guitar in a stand is furniture - so it matters a lot just being there if it's appealing.

And even fretboard matters - to me Fender is maple neck and maple fretboard - so go far to get that right. I even bought an extra neck to swap on a tele recently since the body I wanted didn't have maple fretboard, which was all wrong for me. $600 extra did that cost me.

The Gibsons are rosewood fretboards, but that is how it's supposed to be. ;)

I don't like 'glossy' finish, don't know how it's called but like this one here:

Especially when it comes in red, green or blue - yikes! And I don't like 'white' fretboards, as in maple for example.

I'd NEVER buy such a gutar, playing one would be a nightmare come true - so distracting, ouch my eyes!, etc.).

That's the only guitar I've ever had, bought earlier this year (I'm a noob :hihi: ):

It's Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2 - Charcoal Gray and a bit hard to photograph. It looks a lot better in person.

lfm wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 am And even fretboard matters - to me Fender is maple neck and maple fretboard - so go far to get that right. I even bought an extra neck to swap on a tele recently since the body I wanted didn't have maple fretboard, which was all wrong for me. $600 extra did that cost me.

No fair, now you're actually talking about something meaningful, that actually affects the sound. I thought we were having a frivolous conversation here. ;)

Uncle E wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 am Tobacco burst!
Yeah, it's funny now as no one wants to call it that anymore. They just call it sun burst. Since the 70's I've had about 10 of them. I was staring at one my friend is selling at his guitar store. Love the guitar, not getting it in tobacco burst. Only slightly feel guilty about not buying the guitar from him as I've known him since the 70's

You can call it cancerstick burst. ;)

My new and only guitar is a vintage reissue. Very non glossy which is great but it marks and scratches so easily and I'm normally really bothered about these things with synths.

Pretty soon it'll look like it's actually from 1963.

1963 ES-335 reissue?

lfm wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 am A guitar in a stand is furniture - so it matters a lot just being there if it's appealing.

And even fretboard matters - to me Fender is maple neck and maple fretboard - so go far to get that right. I even bought an extra neck to swap on a tele recently since the body I wanted didn't have maple fretboard, which was all wrong for me. $600 extra did that cost me.

I had a series of maple neck/fretboard guitars in the 80's Every damn one warped. American made, Japanese made, Korean made. Didn't matter country of origin. Worst of all was the separate maple fretboard one I had. (although I do have a few now that are "stable") The dark rosewood fretboard on my Fender Plus was the one that lasted the longest. I wanted them to work for me back then but they just didn't.

As for Gibson fretboards. Ebony baby Ebony all the way. If I could I'd swap the Pau Ferro on my Epi - Joe pass in an instant. I'm liking Ovangkol as an alternative to Ebony.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:22 am 1963 ES-335 reissue?
PBass American Vintage

tapper mike wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 am As for Gibson fretboards. Ebony baby Ebony all the way. If I could I'd swap the Pau Ferro on my Epi - Joe pass in an instant. I'm liking Ovangkol as an alternative to Ebony.
My Carvin Les Paul was a hard rock maple body/neck with an ebony fretboard. Talk about harsh!

samsam wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:25 am PBass American Vintage
Beautiful! Congrats! My favorite bass I've ever played is my friend's 1965 P-Bass. I play a 1973.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 am
samsam wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:25 am PBass American Vintage
Beautiful! Congrats! My favorite bass I've ever played is my friend's 1965 P-Bass. I play a 1973.
Thanks, it's a stunner. Just a bit too easy to leave my mark on but hey, rock n roll :)

Uncle E wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:32 am
tapper mike wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 am As for Gibson fretboards. Ebony baby Ebony all the way. If I could I'd swap the Pau Ferro on my Epi - Joe pass in an instant. I'm liking Ovangkol as an alternative to Ebony.
My Carvin Les Paul was a hard rock maple body/neck with an ebony fretboard. Talk about harsh!

Yeah well... Carvin says a lot. The two I've played had over the top pups.

Can't say the same about my Gibson LP Custom it was sweet and ballsy. My Parker P44 was all mahogany with an ebony fretboard

Return to “Guitars”