Lyrics That Stuck

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Didn’t Wakeman eventually leave because of Jon Anderson’s lyrics? I’m pretty sure he publicly gave that as the reason.

in context of the song, that purple wolfhounds bit makes perfect sense

Squire said he wondered on stage a lot of time what he was singing about, “but it sounded good, so...”
find the Alec Baldwin interview of JA on YT
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wakeman left after (during?) the Tales tour because Anderson kept on him to play what he did on the album, and “he never could come to terms with it” (the Alec Baldwin interview). Wakeman “so finally I was ‘I’ve had quite enough of you’”.

He was into his own trip by then. By all accounts he thought Tales was absurd.

Also RW said the Union tour, after an album experience he thought was the worst, the best live band experience of his life “by far”. Now for him ARW is by far the best version of Yes ever.

Baby shark!
Mommy shark!
Daddy shark!

(obviously plagiarized from)

A-mama, Hully Gully,
Papa, Hully Gully,
Baby, Hully Gully too.

we are
no strangers

to love you
know the game and
so do
i...

867-5309

he tells me in his bedroom voice
come on baby, let's make some noise
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

doo doo
doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo
doo doo

Jean genie, lives on his back.

Mary had a little lamb
And then she had some veal

you'd rather sail the ocean
than make a big decision

better run through the jungle

"take your time... hurry up..."

farlukar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:53 pm Mary had a little lamb
And then she had some veal
Mary had a little lamb
who was on LSD;
Everywhere that lamb would go,
ho ho, the things he’d see!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

jancivil wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:14 am Wakeman left after (during?) the Tales tour because Anderson kept on him to play what he did on the album, and “he never could come to terms with it” (the Alec Baldwin interview). Wakeman “so finally I was ‘I’ve had quite enough of you’”.

He was into his own trip by then. By all accounts he thought Tales was absurd.

Also RW said the Union tour, after an album experience he thought was the worst, the best live band experience of his life “by far”. Now for him ARW is by far the best version of Yes ever.
I hadn’t kept up with Yes, since the 90s. The last thing from them I bought was the album where the only guy NOT on it from historic Yes (??) was whoever had power over the name itself. “Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, & Howe” is a bit much for a band name... Thankfully the album was eponymous and didn’t also have a title on top. It’s funny to me to now read the above story about Wakeman leaving Yes.

Band relationships... so much drama among creative people trying to work together.

I never really considered crazy lyrics while listening to Yes. I wasn’t a critical listener to lyrics back then. I have a bunch of their late 80s through 90s albums, but I’ve not listened in many years (I don’t dislike them; I just changed my musical interests).

The ones i liked most were “Big Generator” and “90125”, due to the musical structure of both. They were apparently also the most poppy or most radio-friendly(??). Supposedly this was due to a specific member of the band at that time(??). A friend of mine agreed with me that they were the neatest albums, but his brother said that the guy who was part of the band during those albums, who really impacted the sound, made them “not Yes”. :shrug:

“I can feel no sense of measure,
no illusion as we take
refuge in young man’s pleasure,
breaking down the dreams we make
real.”

Maybe I should have considered the lyrics, ha ha 😅

I’ve long known that many lyrics tend not to stand alone as well as poetry. Sung with music, they’re much easier to accept.

“Owner of a lonely heart”, to get back to the thread subject, sticks in my head so well that it eventually irritates me 🤪. Many poppy songs do that to me.

Songs by Magnetic Fields, They Might Be Giants, REM... they all do it to me. I’ll go on a listening binge of their stuff and then have to go on a hiatus from them, playing less poppy but sticky songs just to clear them out of my head. TMBG probably does it the worst... “Particle man, particle man, doin’ the things that a particle can...”

Songs repeat in my head until they make me crazy. 😅

Then again, car alarms repeat in my head too. 🤬
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

And who is the master of fox hounds,
And who says the hunt has begun?
Who calls the tune in the courtroom,
And who beats the funeral drum?

My favourite lyric of all time is from Lloyd Cole

"Why must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing?"

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”