f. 'em - a new FM synth from Tracktion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7 F.'em FM8

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:20 pm It's missing the partial editor to really compete with sytrus

Nice , coded by wolfram Franke ( waldorf fame ,Biotek )
It's 2020 and still nothing competes with Sytrus despite it being absolutely ancient by plugin standards. The closest is the Zero Hybrid RE from Blamsoft but it lacks the oscillator waveshaping controls and the envelopes aren't as nice. I run the FL plugin just so I can use Sytrus with proper mono/portamento. I wish they'd incorporate that functionality into the plugin version but I doubt it'll happen.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Well there are things that you can do in fm7/8 and not in sytrus .
For example routing an operator into the shaper moduel ( which clips either the +/- ) and use the clipped operator as a modulator .
In sytrus , once operators are routed to shapers and or filters , they can't be routed back into the matrix ...and ofcourse the filters of fm7/8 and sytrus suck

For me the ultimate fm synth is reaktor , just builded a simple 4 operator synth with cables :) , altough zebra comes in as a close second ..really great
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Has anyone heard of a release date for f. 'em yet?

Nobody is 100% sure when it is going to be released...

They were going to let people people know in advance, but the guy coding it over ruled them all and said,"f. em, we'll make it a surprise" :)
No auto tune...

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:44 am ... because of the lack of proper FM-Synths I'm really excited about this one.
What? Lack of proper FM synths? :nutter:
Fernando (FMR)

Greenstorm33 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:11 am

It's 2020 and still nothing competes with Sytrus despite it being absolutely ancient by plugin standards. The closest is the Zero Hybrid RE from Blamsoft but it lacks the oscillator waveshaping controls and the envelopes aren't as nice. I run the FL plugin just so I can use Sytrus with proper mono/portamento. I wish they'd incorporate that functionality into the plugin version but I doubt it'll happen.
FL (like Studio one) doesn't use midi, so their portamento is more advanced and it can't be replicated in the vst plugin version of Sytrus.

Phase Plant and Msoundfactory are modern advanced modulation synths.

Imo, Rhino is also still great.

FM8 is a monster, but aged GUI and lack of analog filters puts me off. I didn't use it much yet, even though I always wanted to.

I've been using Ableton Operator with success, but it's a very basic synth with limited features and lack of modulation options.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will there be a light edition called f. 'em gently?

resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:14 am
fmr wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 am
resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:44 am ... because of the lack of proper FM-Synths I'm really excited about this one.
What? Lack of proper FM synths? :nutter:
Tell me... Where is a proper FM-Synth which is "state-of-art"?

FM8 (which I useed almost a decade): practically unusable due the gui
Sytrus: Workflow is arkward, sound stops when touching an envelope
Rhino: practically unusable due the gui
Dexed: practically unusable due the gui
Tone2: Dont know but I find it unusable
Linplug Octopus: Abandonware + practically unusable due the gui

Nowadays I use Ableton Operator and Zebra but I would be happy if you could show me an good FM synth (no I don't want to use reaktor because I dont like the workflow)
You have Image-Line Toxic Biohazard, Arturia DX7 V, and Rob Papen Blue and Blue 2. All of these are "proper" FM synths, IMO. Any of them is way more advanced than anything you quoted (except Rhino, maybe, and FM8), and the last two don't suffer of the GUI problem you are complaining about.

And don't forget Arturia Synclavier V. It's not FM in the way DX7 implemented it, but it's still FM, and very powerful.
Fernando (FMR)

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:14 am FM8: practically unusable due the gui
Best joke ever! :lol: :lol: :lol:

/* whitenoise */

resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:26 am Hmmm. Not for me sorry. Maybe Arturia DX7 V come close but the rest you mentioned lacks (ofc imo) of usability. Laggy/or small gui weird behaviour of envelopes. For me its not about how much features are packed into a synth its more about the gui and how the workflow is set. Therefore I still think FM8 is the best in this field. The MSEG alone are really good implemented.
And what's the problem of DX7 V, then? Basically, it does everything FM8 does (except having the special two extra operators). And has a resizeable GUI, that goes up to gigantic sizes.

As became demonstrated, the problem is not the "lack of proper FM synths", but YOUR definition of "proper FM synths". I didn't really understand what your complaint was regarding Blue 2. I never observed "laggy/or small gui weird envelope behavior". The big screen option is large enough for me.

Of course, it doesn't fill a 4K display, but if that's your case, I advise you install a second (or third) display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution for editing purposes.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”