fl studio multi midi out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so, i dont normally need to do this, but it seems im having quite the time trying to get this to work.

what im trying to do:

use a vst sequencer with multi midi outs to output midi to separate vst synths.

what happens:

internal vst midi routing is completely ignored. i can ONLY route midi to 1 vst using the fls midi in/out selectors.

i have tried using patcher to get around this, which doest work and also doesnt let me have separate effects for each synth. i have looked all over and all i see are posts about multi audio outs, i cant seem to find anything about midi... im probably missing something really simple here, what am i doing wrong?

thnks in advance for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 pm so, i dont normally need to do this, but it seems im having quite the time trying to get this to work.

what im trying to do:

use a vst sequencer with multi midi outs to output midi to separate vst synths.

what happens:

internal vst midi routing is completely ignored. i can ONLY route midi to 1 vst using the fls midi in/out selectors.

i have tried using patcher to get around this, which doest work and also doesnt let me have separate effects for each synth. i have looked all over and all i see are posts about multi audio outs, i cant seem to find anything about midi... im probably missing something really simple here, what am i doing wrong?

thnks in advance for any help.
i'll start by asking the obvious ...
no offense meant , just trying to get a handle on what you know and what you don't ...

the MIDI you have circled in green , in the plugin settings tab , are MIDI ports ...
the MIDI you have circled in red , on the plugin GUI , are MIDI channels ...

for any one instance of Cream , you can only transmit MIDI info out through
one named MIDI port ...

are you with this so far ?...

yes, im with you, and sorry for the confusion, but the images werent to show the actual set up being used...just showing the options that im working with and which ones seem to work.

the internal midi settings on cream itself (the second image) have no effect at all no matter what i do....they just dont do anything. fls seems to only care about the settings from the first image. (and this is not unique to creme, its any vst with multiple midi outs). i cant seem to figure how to get a single instance of a sequencer (any sequencer that has the option) to output multiple midi sequences to different vsts.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:47 pm yes, im with you, and sorry for the confusion, but the images werent to show the actual set up being used...just showing the options that im working with and which ones seem to work.

the internal midi settings on cream itself (the second image) have no effect at all no matter what i do....they just dont do anything. fls seems to only care about the settings from the first image. (and this is not unique to creme, its any vst with multiple midi outs). i cant seem to figure how to get a single instance of a sequencer (any sequencer that has the option) to output multiple midi sequences to different vsts.
i have an idea on how this can be done ...
i've done it w/ some reaktor sequencers ...
i'll have some time tonight , and i'll be back to you tomorrow ...
someone else may chime in , in the meantime ...

the fls wrapper :
every vst instrument or effect , lives inside it's own fls wrapper .
for purposes of MIDI , the settings tab of the wrapper allows you to set
the MIDI in and MIDI out port .
the MIDI ports are virtual pathways for MIDI data to travel upon ...
the MIDI port allows you to send the 16 MIDI channels to another vst...
you can have hundreds of MIDI ports , but only 16 MIDI channels .
the fls wrapper does not allow you to set a MIDI channel ***

your specific case :
you can set the MIDI ports for Cream .
the MIDI in port will transmit MIDI data into Cream ( such as note pitch from a controller )
the MIDI out port will transmit MIDI data from Cream to another vst that has been set with a matching number on it's MIDI in port .

your issue arises when working w/ the 'tracks' function of Cream , i believe .
according to the Cream manual , each of four tracks can send data on a different MIDI channel , but you must keep in mind that this data is all going through one MIDI port .

so ...
each vsti you send data to from Cream must have the same number MIDI in port
that Cream has as a MIDI out port .
in addition , you must be able to set the MIDI channel that the target vsti will respond to ;
• the target vsti must be multitimbral and allow you to set the MIDI channel for each
voice in the target vsti GUI ( think Kontakt ) ...
or
• each target vsti must allow you to set the MIDI channel in the
target vsti GUI ( think Reaktor ) ...

that's as far as i got last night ...
it'd been a bit since i used fls on a daily basis , and i'm going to d/l
the latest point version of 20 tonight ...
i want to re-look at the fls MIDI OUT channel insert , as well as
the fls vsti channel inserts ...
could be something there to work with ...

*** being able to set the MIDI channel in the wrapper is a feature
sorely needed in fls ...

Mostly the above, but I get flexibility using virtual cable loopbacks.
In the screen cap below
I have a multi channel midi file loaded into Cream's piano roll (could be a controller and use the channel translation of Cream), then set the output port for Cream to a virtual port (13) looped back with MidiOx to virtual port (15). Locked the invidual vst's to a specific channel of that port. The monitor screen of MOx is open to show the return traffic with channel numbers.
2020-04-04_FLS_CreamLoopMulti.png
One could use midi outs for the VST slots. That would give unique port numbers/channels for each. I don't have a way to show it driving external equipment, but using the wrapper input ports as set in the midi outs, it looks like this.
2020-04-04_FLS_LoopToMidiBackOut.png
Anyway - just mental gymnastics! :clown: :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NTO wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 pm Mostly the above, but I get flexibility using virtual cable loopbacks.
In the screen cap below
I have a multi channel midi file loaded into Cream's piano roll, then set the output port for cream to a virtual port (13) looped back with MidiOx to virtual port (15). Locked the invidual vst's to a specific channel of that port. The monitor screen of MOx is open to show the return traffic with channel numbers.
2020-04-04_FLS_CreamLoopMulti.png

One could use midi outs for the VST slots. That would give unique port numbers/channels for each. I don't have a way to show it driving external equipment, but using the wrapper input ports as set in the midi outs, it looks like this.
2020-04-04_FLS_LoopToMidiBackOut.png

Anyway - just mental gymnastics! :clown: :party:
great info ... thanks ...
i want to try that MIDI Out channel wrapper scheme ...
i use copperLAN instead of MidiOx , so i'll look at that as well ...

thanks!

ill see if i can make some headway on this...though i suspect that after all...its not going to function how i was hoping...but still good to learn.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”