Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

Well, that clinches it for me. Didn't have to go beyond the resonance patch. Arturia falls apart completely.

So I guess the sale doesn't matter anymore. I'll wait for Obsession, see if it's any better (hopefully it will be) and if it is, will get that. If not, will get neither. Don't need an OB that badly.

Wow, that was bad.

There are some differences, but I actually still think that Arturia did a good job! When you browse the non original patches, you feel it a very good synth.

Anyway, I will be glad to have the SA as well because as I thought they won't overlap just like the Legend and Mini V. Both have their uses ;)

I also think the Arturia does a good job. As wagtunes wrote, there are differences in the details when he's cranking up the resonance. But, for the rest, I was actually quite positively surprised how well the Arturia matches the OB-6.

Not to mention the OB-6 does not replicate the original OBXa's sound exactly, so the Arturia won't match it either.

There are clear differences (and different architectures) but it held up much better than I would have thought. The X-MOD also sounded nice in my opinion.

Comparisons with Obsession and possibly an actual OB-Xa unit will sure be interesting.

My version of one of the synth sounds in Tom Sawyer. I made the MP3 downloadable as SoundCloud always messes up the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/sawyer-was-here

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm Arturia falls apart completely.
I do not think so:
  1. Are you sure, when you would have heard both synths in a blind test, you could really say, which one was the original and thus the "better"? For me no one sounded worse in the video - rather different.
  2. Analog synths tend to have differences, even between different devices. Who knows, how far Arturia's model is from that original synth they used?
  3. Yes, there are some differences, but I don't think they are THAT big. For the resonance example it looked like Arturia is loosing some spectral energy in the high-end. Could be fixed with EQing or other measurements. In a qualitative manner they sounded in a very similar kind to me.
  4. As I tend to say: When someones tracks and sounds are shitty it mostly not on the synths.

Examigan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:04 pm My version of one of the synth sounds in Tom Sawyer. I made the MP3 downloadable as SoundCloud always messes up the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/sawyer-was-here
Talking about that Tom Sawyer sound: Did Rush do anything further to the sound in the original track? It almost sounds as if there was something FM-ish going on on the filter. It's also much more resonant than your example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

I hear the same kind of filter FM-ish sound here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOU9CyWIh0

SamDi wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:27 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm Arturia falls apart completely.
I do not think so:
  1. Are you sure, when you would have heard both synths in a blind test, you could really say, which one was the original and thus the "better"? For me no one sounded worse in the video - rather different.
  2. Analog synths tend to have differences, even between different devices. Who knows, how far Arturia's model is from that original synth they used?
  3. Yes, there are some differences, but I don't think they are THAT big. For the resonance example it looked like Arturia is loosing some spectral energy in the high-end. Could be fixed with EQing or other measurements. In a qualitative manner they sounded in a very similar kind to me.
  4. As I tend to say: When someones tracks and sounds are shitty it mostly not on the synths.
Here's the bottom line for me. When I buy a synth for the purpose of getting an emulation, I want it to be as close to the hardware as possible. If it's not, I'm not interested, especially when I have so many synths to begin with. I can afford to be picky.

Arturia falls short for me. That's all that matters to ME.

Why is this thread crowded with guys who (besides being beta testers for a competing product) dislike the Arturia synth?
Just asking!

Calenberger wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 pm Why is this thread crowded with guys who (besides being beta testers for a competing product) dislike the Arturia synth?
Just asking!
Because Arturia’s resonance doesn’t scream like a bitch, and they think the other one will.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Calenberger wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 pm Why is this thread crowded with guys who (besides being beta testers for a competing product) dislike the Arturia synth?
Just asking!
Well, let's see. The title is Arturia OB-Xa V. So I assume this is the thread to talk about your opinion about the synth. Maybe a lot of people don't like it because there's something lacking there. For me, it's the res test. Everything else is fine. But everything else isn't that hard to emulate.

Now Obsession may fall apart there too. I have no way of knowing because there are no audio demos yet. And if it does, I won't be getting it either. With over 100 VSTs I don't need another synth. So this thing really has to blow me away in order to get it.

TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:50 pm
Just asking!
Because Arturia’s resonance doesn’t scream like a bitch, and they think the other one will.
I have another method to make someone scream like a bitch.
Very resonating. :tu:

TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:50 pm
Just asking!
Actually, I don't know if the other one will or not. But if it doesn't, I won't be getting that one either. Like I said, with over 100 VSTs, I don't need another synth. So this one will have to blow me away in every area in order for me to get it.

Return to “Instruments”