Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

installed/de-installed

This software doesn't deserve this sound.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:02 pmIt shouldn't be that hard.
No, it shouldn’t. Covid 19 means that my family is home 24/7. Wedging in some music should mean starting my computer and launching Bitwig. I was more forgiving when I could deal with it as I was working, but frankly it’s always sucked. This morning was just the last straw. I’ve got a great Sequential emulation (and several of the real deal) great Oberheim emulations (and kind of the real deal) and I’ve paid long enough to own Jupiter 8 and Juno 106. Oh, and I outright bought System 100 at one point. I’ll miss SH-2 and the x0x emulations, but f it. The rest of it is meh. If you’re charging me money, your system needs to be super solid. I’m out of patience.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

abi wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 pm
Chrisk-K wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:37 pm I'd like to go with the core subscription if it works smoothly. One issue I'm having with my trial is that Roland Cloud Manager often gets stuck when being launched. The little task bar icon says "Starting up. Please wait," and nothing happens. I'm using Win10, and everything works fine on that PC except for Roland Cloud Manager.
on mac mojave i have zero problems as i mentioned earlier. all in all it works quite smooth here so it could be windows specific. which wouldnt make it better for you of course...
I'm on Windows 10 with no issues, it could be Chrisk-K's PC specific

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:19 pm
abi wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 pm
Chrisk-K wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:37 pm I'd like to go with the core subscription if it works smoothly. One issue I'm having with my trial is that Roland Cloud Manager often gets stuck when being launched. The little task bar icon says "Starting up. Please wait," and nothing happens. I'm using Win10, and everything works fine on that PC except for Roland Cloud Manager.
on mac mojave i have zero problems as i mentioned earlier. all in all it works quite smooth here so it could be windows specific. which wouldnt make it better for you of course...
I'm on Windows 10 with no issues, it could be Chrisk-K's PC specific
No, Roland screws RCM every now and then. It never worked reliably (neither on Mac nor on PC - I have both systems). Lately, it's been stable and behaving on Mac, as well as my main PC (Windows 7) but I have experienced some problems in my laptop (Windows 10). These problems started when Roland changed the RCM to the current GUI. Previous one was working smoothly now.

Unfortunately, they didn't follow the rule - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Fernando (FMR)

According to Roland Cloud, the specs of the JX-8P include:
-Model expansion for Zen-Core hardware
-Swap model expansions and load sound instantly.

These points don't apply to the Jupiter-X(M) because the JX-8P model is already included. So, it seems to imply that the JX-8P expansion can be loaded into the Fantom, the MC and the RD-88, and that's not possible at this point in time. It's kinda confusing.

I'm admittingly wary of the the new Zen-Core route they are going on. The software looks very UVI Workstation and I'm honestly not really fond of UVI as much as I used too. All of their libraries are essentially preset-players and I need to see the full version before I'm convinced on their "promise of deep sound-design editing". The "Legendary" series has always been my main attraction and focus to Roland Cloud and, while this might be unfair or wrong of me, it continuously feels like Roland Cloud is distracting themselves with smaller endeavors.

Those bizarre genre-focused libraries (does anyone really use them?), the Anthology series, and now this. They continuously spend time and resources developing these smaller preset-libraries with limited editing. That's simply never been what got me excited about the prospect of Roland Cloud. It's always been about fully-fledged classic synths in my computer that, for one reason or another with some small exceptions (like u-he Diva), never been done by any company. Perhaps there's laws that make it hard to develop softsynths based on Roland synths, even if it's just inspiration. Maybe/probably it's lack of interest why there never would be a JV1080 or SRX card libraries. But the existence of Roland Cloud got me excited because now it felt now the time had finally come. While it's true that they've certainly done a lot in terms of releasing their own Jupiter, Juno and so-on, it's frustrating that the pace has been so slow and they continuously seem more focused on 'taking the easy way out' by making these preset plugins.

That's really my frustration with Roland Cloud in a nutshell these days. They now seem focused on Zen-Core Model Expansions based on the Jupiter, SH-101 and Juno. Why they would spend their time doing that when there's already plugins of those exact synths released when they could do a V-Synth, JD800, Fantom series or anything new is something I don't understand. It makes me confused on why there's a "request an instrument!" section on their website because I don't think anyone could have expected they'd do Zen-Core and they seem focused on going in their own direction rather than doing anything people say anyway. They usually just give boilerplate "added to the list!" responses to questions like that.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on Roland Cloud atm! happy they're around, but I really just expect so much more out of them and it feels like it'll take another decade for what I'm hoping for to come out of them.

Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:49 am Those bizarre genre-focused libraries (does anyone really use them?), the Anthology series, and now this. They continuously spend time and resources developing these smaller preset-libraries with limited editing. That's simply never been what got me excited about the prospect of Roland Cloud.

It's always been about fully-fledged classic synths in my computer that, for one reason or another with some small exceptions (like u-he Diva), never been done by any company. Perhaps there's laws that make it hard to develop softsynths based on Roland synths, even if it's just inspiration. Maybe/probably it's lack of interest why there never would be a JV1080 or SRX card libraries. But the existence of Roland Cloud got me excited because now it felt now the time had finally come. While it's true that they've certainly done a lot in terms of releasing their own Jupiter, Juno and so-on, it's frustrating that the pace has been so slow and they continuously seem more focused on 'taking the easy way out' by making these preset plugins.
I can understand that, the flavour and anthology series are a complete waste and i doubt that anyone "needs" those....
Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:49 am That's really my frustration with Roland Cloud in a nutshell these days. They now seem focused on Zen-Core Model Expansions based on the Jupiter, SH-101 and Juno. Why they would spend their time doing that when there's already plugins of those exact synths released when they could do a V-Synth, JD800, Fantom series or anything new is something I don't understand. It makes me confused on why there's a "request an instrument!" section on their website because I don't think anyone could have expected they'd do Zen-Core and they seem focused on going in their own direction rather than doing anything people say anyway. They usually just give boilerplate "added to the list!" responses to questions like that.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on Roland Cloud atm! happy they're around, but I really just expect so much more out of them and it feels like it'll take another decade for what I'm hoping for to come out of them.
I understand the confusion. As I understand the new Zenology models will be not as complete as the legendary models and therefore less cpu taxing. so if you want 100% true emulation you choose ultimate, you choose the pro sub if you want "some" emulation (within zenology pro) and you choose core if you just want some Roland flavour here and there.

I think Roland made a step in the right direction by lowering prices and offering the core sub. now they just have to get rid of all the stuff no one needs (like anthology and flavour series) and put some effort into modelling more of their synths.

Regarding Fantom emulation: am I wrong in understanding that Zenology Pro will basically be that?

Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:49 am Why they would spend their time doing that when there's already plugins of those exact synths released when they could do a V-Synth, JD800, Fantom series or anything new is something I don't understand. It makes me confused on why there's a "request an instrument!" section on their website because I don't think anyone could have expected they'd do Zen-Core and they seem focused on going in their own direction rather than doing anything people say anyway.
I'm with you regarding this. But I think that Zen Core is because they are seeking a platform that could be used in their own hardware synths as well as in Roland Cloud. Zen Core is that platform.

Admittedly, while they are developing that, they don't do any kind of development for what people are expecting for so long: V-Synth and JD800, among other things.
Fernando (FMR)

Imho the latest zenology extensions/vintage models are a pure rip off .
It's obvious that the zen engine can't model al the features accurately and some features are even missing , the jx8p only has 2 sync modes , the O.G. has three , the sh101 filter emu can't be modulated by noise , the O.G. can .

They got it right with the ACB cloud versions , but the zen extensions are far inferior and they still charge you 100 bucks for each model .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

It’s pretty crazy to me that there are great landmark Roland synths that they’ve never got around to modelling like the other Juno and Jupiter variants. So many drum machines too.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 am Imho the latest zenology extensions/vintage models are a pure rip off .
It's obvious that the zen engine can't model al the features accurately and some features are even missing , the jx8p only has 2 sync modes , the O.G. has three , the sh101 filter emu can't be modulated by noise , the O.G. can .

They got it right with the ACB cloud versions , but the zen extensions are far inferior and they still charge you 100 bucks for each model .
You´re priority is 100% emulation: you can go ultimate or buy lifetime keys for the synths you want to have.

In my opinion the idea of cut-down emulations with less features at a better price point is more attractive. I find the legend series so demanding cpu-wise i simply don´t feel they are worth it.

It´s all personal. I haven´t grown up with analog Roland synths so an approximation is totally sufficient for me. Of course I hear a difference between an "analog" zenology patch and a promars bass sound. but i´m not emotional about it. I have grown up with the digital roland sounds and for that sound zenology is pretty fine. I will look into the pro version once it comes out but for now i think core is great.

fmr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 am But I think that Zen Core is because they are seeking a platform that could be used in their own hardware synths as well as in Roland Cloud. Zen Core is that platform.
^ This
Chrisk-K wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 am According to Roland Cloud, the specs of the JX-8P include:
-Model expansion for Zen-Core hardware
-Swap model expansions and load sound instantly.

These points don't apply to the Jupiter-X(M) because the JX-8P model is already included. So, it seems to imply that the JX-8P expansion can be loaded into the Fantom, the MC and the RD-88, and that's not possible at this point in time. It's kinda confusing.
But also this. It's confusing and it would be nice to know what technology is behind it. ABM or yet something different?

I've posted a support ticket at Roland, asking whether I will be able to use the expansions to Zenology on my MC-707.

Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:49 am
They now seem focused on Zen-Core Model Expansions based on the Jupiter, SH-101 and Juno. Why they would spend their time doing that when there's already plugins of those exact synths released when they could do a V-Synth, JD800, Fantom series or anything new is something I don't understand. It makes me confused on why there's a "request an instrument!" section on their website because I don't think anyone could have expected they'd do Zen-Core and they seem focused on going in their own direction rather than doing anything people say anyway. They usually just give boilerplate "added to the list!" responses to questions like that.
Exactly what I thought, It seems they have gone full circle in rehashing the rehashes, they are now releasing emulations of the previous emulations ad infinitum. :hihi:

Lucastyle wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:12 pm
They now seem focused on Zen-Core Model Expansions based on the Jupiter, SH-101 and Juno. Why they would spend their time doing that when there's already plugins of those exact synths released when they could do a V-Synth, JD800, Fantom series or anything new is something I don't understand. It makes me confused on why there's a "request an instrument!" section on their website because I don't think anyone could have expected they'd do Zen-Core and they seem focused on going in their own direction rather than doing anything people say anyway. They usually just give boilerplate "added to the list!" responses to questions like that.
Exactly what I thought, It seems they have gone full circle in rehashing the rehashes, they are now releasing emulations of the previous emulations ad infinitum. :hihi:
Yeah, it's just really bizarre. Like others have said, there's loads of classic stuff in Roland's back catalog they could work on, but they seem determined to go down a road that just isn't to my preference.

I personally don't care for any number of cut-down CPU-friendly approximations because, well, there's loads of those scattered over the internet. It's not difficult to find sample libraries of any synth you can think of. The issue is that, besides being very limited, most of them are really terrible. The allure of Roland Cloud for me is that I no longer have to feel tempted to go onto Ebay or Reverb.com and spend thousands of dollars on a niche synth. I could just have it on my computer once they get around it. It's the question of when or even if they plan too.

Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:12 pm
Lucastyle wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:12 pm
Yeah, it's just really bizarre. Like others have said, there's loads of classic stuff in Roland's back catalog they could work on, but they seem determined to go down a road that just isn't to my preference.

I personally don't care for any number of cut-down CPU-friendly approximations because, well, there's loads of those scattered over the internet. It's not difficult to find sample libraries of any synth you can think of. The issue is that, besides being very limited, most of them are really terrible. The allure of Roland Cloud for me is that I no longer have to feel tempted to go onto Ebay or Reverb.com and spend thousands of dollars on a niche synth. I could just have it on my computer once they get around it. It's the question of when or even if they plan too.
I guess we are a niche to Roland, and they want to get hold of the largest market share possible and it seems that they think that offering dumb down preset libraries is the way to go to entice new users to subscribe to their service.

This isn't new, this is the way technology goes nowadays just look at apple's approach with the iOS thing, it seems that this way of carrying business has standardized, It doesn't mean that pros aren't going to get attended but it means that we are going to have to be really patient while they try to please those users till boredom.

Return to “Instruments”