DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 am
pierb wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pmAnyone tried doing FM using the mod matrix (not the FM oscillators) in Dune 3?
Why would anyone when the FM oscillators are there and ready to use? Which is me asking you why you want to do it (in case that wasn't clear).
To achieve different type of sounds obviously

Noise FM to Osc
Wavetable FM to Osc
Wavetable FM to Wavetable

It works very well, I often noise FM to Osc to my main sounds.

the.new.me wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 amTo achieve different type of sounds obviously.
Not in any way obvious given that the person asking the question never said he had tried to do what he wanted to do using the FM oscillators.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:31 am
the.new.me wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 amTo achieve different type of sounds obviously.
Not in any way obvious given that the person asking the question never said he had tried to do what he wanted to do using the FM oscillators.
He doesnt have to give this kind of information before asking the question in any obvious way, because it is not required, its his own buisiness if he has tried FM mode or not, not mine or anyone elses. He just asked if anyone tried to FM osc via mod matrix. Its that simple and i answered the question. :phones:

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 pmIts Core-Engine is the Wavetable
That's an interesting thought because I use DUNE in just about every song and I have not so much as looked at the wavetable stuff. For me, DUNE's "core engine" is the standard V/A oscillators. They are the only thing I ever use in DUNE. The other stuff just gets in my way, which is why using DUNE annoys the hell out of me. I sometimes wish I still had my DUNE 1 installer.
You have a musical Approach. A "Ramp Pig" as we say around here... (saw your Profile Pic). I can understand very well that you dont want to care about that complicated "physical" Stuff - but I´d recommend to care about the Basics a little bit. There are Tons of WT that come with DUNE and billions of 2048 Samples WT out there. (visit https://charlesdickens.neocities.org/ - he´ll drown you with WT!).

Just ask if I can help somehow!

Cheers

Isn't the Dune 1 installer still in your user section?
Mine still is.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 am Why would anyone when the FM oscillators are there and ready to use? Which is me asking you why you want to do it (in case that wasn't clear).
Because the FM oscillators are limited to sine waves.

the.new.me wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 am
pierb wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pmAnyone tried doing FM using the mod matrix (not the FM oscillators) in Dune 3?
Why would anyone when the FM oscillators are there and ready to use? Which is me asking you why you want to do it (in case that wasn't clear).

Noise FM to Osc
Wavetable FM to Osc

What do you select in the matrix to achieve this?

mdstudio wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:39 pm
the.new.me wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 am

Noise FM to Osc
Wavetable FM to Osc

What do you select in the matrix to achieve this?
Osc 1/2/3/noise to other Osc pitch (semi -
frequency)

the.new.me wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 pm Osc 1/2/3/noise to other Osc pitch (semi -
frequency)
Oh, interesting, so it's true frequency modulation, not phase modulation.

BONES wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:55 am
GRUMP wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:43 pmI can understand very well that you dont want to care about that complicated "physical" Stuff - but I´d recommend to care about the Basics a little bit. There are Tons of WT that come with DUNE and billions of 2048 Samples WT out there. (visit https://charlesdickens.neocities.org/ - he´ll drown you with WT!).
Firstly, if I ever run out of good sounds from the V/A oscillators I might consider looking at the wavetables, although I am more likely to explore the FM oscillator first. But most importantly, your post highlights why I have a total lack of interest in wavetables - there are insufficient hours in the day to explore the available deluge of wavetables and, on those occasions when I have dabbled - 20 years ago when I started using Orion, which has always had a native three oscillator wavetable synth - I discovered that it often didn't matter which wavetable you used and that the vast majority were just variations on a few themes anyway. (I have several hundred wavetables for Orion's WaveDream/WaveFusion.) Screwing around with stuff like that just doesn't interest me, it is too far removed from the business of writing songs.
That´s what I meant. An understandable Attitude - although I´d recommend to always look (at least) twice on such Things. It´s the same as with Songs/Sounds - or maybe also Plugins or whatever. I´ve just had a Moment of Desilusion last Week. What I firstly put away is now my secret Weapon.

Some nice WT-Sounds between the Factorys btw. (esp. MK)

Feature req:
At least two fx for filter section... I want to shape sound character more mmmm... complex. For example 3% ratecrush and 20% bitcrush at same time.

And performance/macro section to route many layers to single knobs.
Or global filter section for all layers

I know there is "all" button, but i need to control different layer filter cutoffs with different starting positions...

And oscillators to filters routing options

I did it. Got DUNE3 - sale is expiring in a few hours :) Had a hard time choosing between DUNE3 and HIVE 2. DUNE has an easier workflow for me but lets see - Hive is also on sale a few days ;)

I really love u-he synths, but I prefer Dune3 over Hive2 quite a bit. Right choice imo, Dune3 is absolutely fantastic.

Dune 3 just might be my favorite synth of them all. IDK why. Has a certain musicality to it, and the workflow, although considered a bit oldschool by today's standards, just feels right.

I hate the workflow but there is no arguing with the sound - nothing else quite matches it for quality.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”