U-he Hardware - CVilization Eurorack Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:26 pm
like i said, just my mind working hard on problems that dont exist :hihi:
too much time alone with the lockdowns.
Understandable. It's difficult not to be a bit cynical with all the asshatmindfuckery going on. But then, "this too, shall pass". :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I have scripts for three videos, and I'm planning to start shooting tonight. The three videos will cover two practical examples with the Matrix Mixer and one with the Sequential Switch. I have an idea for one with the Panner Mode but I need to actually start fining stuff to make sure that my setup actually comes across in an informative way.

The idea is to demonstrate patches which can be translated to the kinds of modules most people have in their system, so that if you don't have exactly the same modules that I have, you won't be lost. When I did my videos for the Vector sequencer, I tried to make it so I didn't even need to show any other modules because any synth voices would do. I think I can manage the same with CVz, though there will be more focus on what is being sent to the module, than there was with Vector.

Next video is gonna prominently show the Wogglebug. I'm sure Tony won't mind.

justin3am wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:01 pm I have scripts for three videos
:shock:

I know... scripts! Hard to believe I plan anything out, huh?

Wogglebug and CVz make great friends... but have you tried two Wogglebugs and a CVz? :love:

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:13 pm Next video is gonna prominently show the Wogglebug. I'm sure Tony won't mind.
double awesome! i could do with more wb ideas :hihi:
really not using it to its full potential. :idiot:

justin3am wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:21 pm Wogglebug and CVz make great friends... but have you tried two Wogglebugs and a CVz? :love:
wah! :o

justin3am wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:21 pm Wogglebug and CVz make great friends... but have you tried two Wogglebugs and a CVz? :love:
I only have one :oops:

I played with a Wiard 300 series Wogglebug a couple of times and it's basically like two of the v1 Make Noise Wogglebugs, which can interact in interesting ways, due to normalled connections. Somehow that experience led to 4 WBs in my system. :oops: It's my favorite randomizer but it's audio outputs are a secret weapon of mine. shh!

4! insert jaw drop emoji!

It's easy enough to understand if you read the manual. For me it's still not really fun to use,
admittedly, I have not memorized everything, but it's pretty frustrating when you don't
understand what it's doing because it's lost you somehow. The mucorder for instance, I get
the color code thing and the page thing. When I run a sequence into it, it sounds great then
it mutates to the point where it sounds bad because 1 output gets too low and never
comes back up again, it doesn't seem to cycle. I go to page 2 to to set the function of CV B,
for the life of me, I cannot get the value to change. Certainly I'm probably not getting
something, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. :lol:

I'm good at figuring stuff out, it's rare that I ever have to read a manual save for identification
purposes. This is the first module I cant figure out just by farting with it, so I get frustrated.

I am the one who rated it at 3 stars on modular grid, for me that's pretty fair. I did that
mostly to see how much it would get voted up. I think I am not the only one, I know
quite a few have bought the thing, but no one is talking about it from where I can see,
which to me is pretty telling.

I want very much to enjoy it, so far that's not really the case, sorry.

pekbro wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:26 pmThe mucorder for instance, I get
the color code thing and the page thing. When I run a sequence into it, it sounds great then
it mutates to the point where it sounds bad because 1 output gets too low and never
comes back up again, it doesn't seem to cycle.
I'd be happy to help. For instance, you can try channels 3 and 4 which are a lot less "random" and boundless. If that's something you find more appealing, I can give you a file to put on the sd card which makes channels 1 and 2 more like that.

CVilization is very customisable in these things. And while for me personally it's what I ever wanted, I understand that other people have a different idea of what's useful for them. So we need feedback.

On the note of ModularGrid, I have no idea where to see the votes, and I don't care much about that right now. We're starting to roll this thing out as carefully as we developed it. I'd expect more feedback once we have it it more than 1 store.

I have a couple modules that it took a while for me to get on with, I suspect this module is like that.
Hopefully with time, more videos and greater discussion my enjoyment of it will get better. I can
say that I have never regretted my choice of any module and I can't imagine that will change with
CVilization. Unfortunately, frustration can make me overly critical, so I apologize if I have done that.

*3 stars is not a bad score actually, I would have given it a partial if I could have immediately
figured out how to do that. In any event, if no one rates it in the near future, likely I will remove
it anyway as my plan will have failed.

Honestly I keep forgetting that ModularGrid even has ratings -- I never look at them. I make my decisions based on my personal evaluation of modules from their description/manual/demos. But I just gave it 5 :shrug:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”