Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Yes that would indeed be a cool feature.

The server is currently on line, and it was never offline at all over the last few weeks, so you should be able to update your license. I would try it again.

If you still have trouble go ahead and email support.

So how long until the CUDA extensions for GPU?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Does anyone else notice a bump in the low region of the metamorphic oscillator, at C0 or 16.5Hz?
It doesn't matter which note I play, it's there in my patch.
Can filter it out with a JS DC filter in Reaper, am wondering if someone else also has this while making a complex sound.

RPH wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:38 pm Does anyone else notice a bump in the low region of the metamorphic oscillator, at C0 or 16.5Hz?
It doesn't matter which note I play, it's there in my patch.
Can filter it out with a JS DC filter in Reaper, am wondering if someone else also has this while making a complex sound.

I'll look into it to see if I can repeat. Can you post the preset you have the issue with. Good to see you still hanging out.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:46 pm I'll look into it to see if I can repeat. Can you post the preset you have the issue with. Good to see you still hanging out.
Great, thanks. Sure thing: http://rhmodules.nl/temp/RPH-Meta-Design.zip
Didn't feel like doing anything for a while, but still around. :tu:

I'll check it out this afternoon. I spent sometime with MetaOSC last night. One instance and ten modulations directly affecting wave shape. It didn't present any LF resonance.

ok RPH
I dialed up the preset you posted. I noticed some "beating" but not consistent and not in a good way. I removed all modulations and it was still there. Funny but not every note on the keyboard gave the "beating". It seemed almost like something you would see in FM with a non symmetrical waveform. So I checked. You have AM happening not FM. ( Forgive me it has been a day or so since I had it up so I am operating off memory.)
Looking at the waveform it seems that the endpoints dont line up. This would definitely create some artefacts if is the case.
To be clear I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I dont see a resonance per se at a given frequency. I am seeing an intermittent disturbance that seems to be note selective.
I can not only hear it but it causes Fathoms analyser to jump as well.

Thanks for trying, AM doesn't seem to be the cause. When I turn AM or FM off it's still there.
The endpoints in the Fathom waveform view line up perfectly here. I'll do some more investigating.

Cheers!

AM turned off, JR Spectrum analyzer view response:

Ok, I can reproduce the hum / DC in a new project when I insert a Metamorphic OSC.
Goto Shape page and just change the Shift parameter to minus or plus value e.g. 20.
The loudest result I get is -30dB DC.

- Set FFT mode to after and it's gone.

I also notice when I change parameter settings with the mouse-wheel nothing happens to the sound except for the waveform view. When I then do the same parameter movement with the mouse-button sound does change.
Edit: only happens when transport is running, mouse-wheel works when transport is stopped.
Last edited by RPH on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Click on a parameter, set mod source: MIDI and set it to e.g. Volume CC 7.
Set the parameter value to something sensible with sound. Save the patch.
Load a different patch and go back to the saved patch, I get zero sound.. the parameter is apparently set to 0.
Only when I change the value on my MIDI keyboard sound is back. This also happens to other parameters set to MIDI mod sources.

Fathom version 3.0.0.28 Vector 64

I read through all the posts, but sorry I don't think I understand the problem.

I see, hope this helps:

First item: DC / hum
- In a new project insert a Metamorphic OSC.
- Goto Shape page and just change the Shift parameter value to minus or plus value e.g. 20.
- The loudest DC / hum result I get in the JR freq analyzer is -30dB DC.
- Set FFT mode to after instead of before and it's gone.

Second item: Using Mousewheel to change parameter values doesn't change sound while playing a sequence.
- When I change a parameter settings with the mouse-wheel nothing happens to the sound except for the waveform view.
When I then do the same parameter movement while holding the left mousebutton sound does change.
- This behavior only happens with DAW transport set to play, mouse-wheel changing sound does work when DAW transport has stopped. Or set to stop.

* Fixed in latest release, didn't realize I was using an older version.

Third item: MIDI mod source SET value not properly saved in patch
- Click on a parameter, set mod source: MIDI and set it to e.g. Volume CC 7.
- Set the parameter value to something sensible with sound. Save the patch.
- Load a different patch and go back to the saved patch, I get zero sound.. the parameter value is apparently saved to 0.
- Only when I change the value on my MIDI keyboard sound is back. This also happens to other parameter values set to MIDI mod sources (like the cutoff of a filter, saved to value 10 (lowest)). Seen in several of my new patches.

* Reaper doesn't provide a default CC 7 parameter when adding a new MIDI item, that's why my patches were silent on load. Is it possible to add a default value to mod source MIDI? Next to the control number or so?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can someone explain to me why my patch is clicking like mad while quickly playing random new notes on a MIDI keyboard?
Playing the same couple of notes over and over are without clicks.

- I inserted an ADSR with slow Attack, but that doesn't remove it.
- Poly is 32 voices. Playing random new notes with one hand.
- Same goes with increasing the Smooth samples parameter to max.
- Turning off distortion or FM doesn't help much.
- Only way to remove the clicks is to set poly to 1.

Question: Is Fathom playing every new note on a new voice or is there some stealing going?
It seems sometimes, when playing quickly on a keyboard, notes are cut off. Can hear it happening.

Example patch: http://rhmodules.nl/temp/RPH-Basss.zip

Fathom by default automatically calculates the available CPU resources and will cut off notes automatically if the calculated load goes over what it can handle.

Yes, this feature could indeed cause clicking, at least theoretically. I myself have never had this problem with version 3.2 because I don't tend to overload Fathom's CPU.

You can disable this feature in the settings processor Predict CPU Load.

Adding ADSR will only make it worse.
Increasing Smooth Samples will not have any effect.

I played your patch and it is practically the simplest patch possible with only one oscillator so I'm honestly not sure how you could be overloading your CPU. I loaded your preset on my system using Ableton and Fathom 3.2. I tried jamming as many notes as possible all at once by spreading my entire hand over the keyboard and playing over ten notes at once randomly with one hand and I can not hear any clicking or even any note stealing for that matter.

I'm honestly not sure how you are succeeding in overloading Fathom's CPU with this patch unless your computer is running an Intel 8085.

Some of my own patches have multiple oscillators running over 4 detune voices and numerous filters and effects and I can get at least one hand worth of notes without any cut offs.

I would need more information to solve this.

I would try turning off Predict CPU Load.

Also the manual has an entire section on CPU Load and on all the possible features and settings which can be disabled to increase your CPU power with almost no discernable loss of audio quality.

One simple test which is very valuable is to create a MIDI sequence with one note at a time gradually added unit it distorts or cuts off notes on the main screen. You can use this method to see what your maximum number of notes is for any given patch and then you will know if your total number of notes goes above this amount it will distort. This way you know before hand what your limit is rather than finding out the hard way when you are trying to create a song.

I would be curious to know what your results are for this simple test on your system because if the max number of notes is anything less than 10 it indicates there is something seriously wrong going on with your system or DAW.

Running 32 voices with that patch is giving me 18% CPU usage in Fathom, Reaper performance meter reports max 3,6% CPU.
Using a Core i5 9600k on a Z390 Gaming motherboard with 32GB DDR4 RAM.
No distortion at all.

I'll try turning off predict CPU load tomorrow, see what that does.

Return to “Instruments”