Flower Child Filter and Analog Distortion public beta

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bermudagold wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:21 am
overhishead wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:03 pm it would be cool to have a self resonating filter that's playable like a synth, and was thinking of a way to utilize stuff like velocity. I think there's arcane scripts that Reaper has that can map MIDI to a filter cutoff, but they're arcane. I've heard of the idea being done before though. I guess its a little like keytracking.
there have been a few like this over the years...here is the last one i remember...I'm also pretty sure melda has one
https://www.filterorgan.com/
You can play the filters with MIDI in apQualizr2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmUOYdCVk0A

One thing I like to do here is put apQualizr2 inside of a feedback loop (feedback routing possible in Reaper if you check the box to allow it) and then play the filters there, controlling feedback peaks with it. This can make a pretty compelling instrument! Be sure to put a compressor/limiter in there as well to keep things from getting too out of hand! apQualizr2 is really a great plugin and the support from the developer is incredible!

Architeuthis wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:23 am Part of the "Filters of Mass Destruction" series...
DOWNLOAD: FlowerChildFilter.vst3
Thank you so much! This is great! I am glad to see that you are still actively developing this. Your plugins don't get nearly the attention they deserve!

I love using Reaktor's Kodiak Curve Sequencer to directly generate a signal to drive envelope follower modulations of these filters! Some great rhythmic sounds can be created!

One thing I noticed is that, in Reaper, at the top of the plugin window, if I select "reset to factory default" from the VST presets, the oscilloscope display will switch to lissajous mode and I have to reload the plugin to get back to the regular mode. It would be nice actually if there were an option to select from the two modes. Maybe there is such an option and I am blind!

By the way, your oscilloscope display, in this and your other plugins, is beautiful, the best I've seen in a plugin! When you watch it while exploring the parameter space, it makes things sound better! :wink:

JO512 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:00 pm I love using Reaktor's Kodiak Curve Sequencer to directly generate a signal to drive envelope follower modulations of these filters! Some great rhythmic sounds can be created!
Wouldn't you need a sidechain input for that to work? Flower Child Filter doesn't have that yet.
JO512 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:00 pmOne thing I noticed is that, in Reaper, at the top of the plugin window, if I select "reset to factory default" from the VST presets, the oscilloscope display will switch to lissajous mode and I have to reload the plugin to get back to the regular mode.
I'll see if I can provide a switch for that and fix the issue.
JO512 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:00 pmWhen you watch it while exploring the parameter space, it makes things sound better! :wink:
I kno, rite?

overhishead wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:13 pmsounds like the wet/dry knob is linear, would logarithmic give that dial more range?
wat? Dry/Wet already goes from 100% dry to 100% wet.
overhishead wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:13 pmi would expect the signal flow to go from filter to drive, as in driving whatever the output of the filter is. Of course I can see the advantage of both.
Should I rename Drive to Input so it's more clear? Drive is driving the filter. The clipping knob is what you are talking about for the output of the filter. Also, these filters are not clean, not clinical, not polished. If you have FCF on a signal, it will color it... unless you're using Robin's filters which are actually perfect and I love them.
overhishead wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:13 pmWhat I'd rather have than gainstaging is the option for auto gain compensation so the input levels would have a similar RMS value as they had going in, like some of Tokyo Dawn plugins, so i could hear exactly what the effect was doin.
Not sure how that would work, to be constantly changing the output of the plugin based on the input when the input will be dynamic and unpredictable.

Architeuthis wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:38 pm
overhishead wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:13 pmsounds like the wet/dry knob is linear, would logarithmic give that dial more range?
wat? Dry/Wet already goes from 100% dry to 100% wet.

the perceived range changes whether the dial is measured internally lin or log. in audio values, typically it's logarithmic because otherwise you get one small area of the range that has the most obvious change and most of the dial isn't really doing much. I'm just trying to figure out why the dial "feels" the way it does.

Alright alright I'll see about changing the curve. Sidechain feature coming in a few days.

Architeuthis wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 pm
JO512 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:00 pm I love using Reaktor's Kodiak Curve Sequencer to directly generate a signal to drive envelope follower modulations of these filters! Some great rhythmic sounds can be created!
Wouldn't you need a sidechain input for that to work? Flower Child Filter doesn't have that yet.
I take the output of the Kodiak Curve Sequencer in Reaktor Blocks and connect it directly to the right and left audio outputs in Reaktor, which generates an audio signal. Then I put Flower Child after Reaktor and then set the envelope follower in Flower Child to modulate filter cutoff as a function of the amplitude of that incoming signal. This isn't a sidechain signal, just a normal, direct audio signal going into your plugin.

This generates some interesting glitchy percussion sounds with the right settings.

Ok, I just added sidechain input via burger menu. Preliminary implementation. Click it once to turn it on, click it again to turn it off. A lot of fun to combine envelope follower + ADSR with a kick as a sidechain.

Let me know how it is using FCF as a side chain for pumping effects by using a kick and turning down the EF on amplitude (causing amplitude to dip for every hit), if you'd like to have the envelope follower as a separate plugin I'd consider making it if the pumping effect ends up being good.

I'm not going to change the dry/wet response because that would ruin automation if anyone automated that knob. Also, I don't see it being a very useful improvement, I'll consider it for future products.

Is this different to FlowerChild on the website ? Also what's happening with filters of mass destruction did you shelve that project ?

Looks like a lot of your products on the site are using dsp code by robin schmidt , why is he not mentioned in the about screen ?
Just curious
https://www.soundemote.com/about
http://rs-met.com/tutorials.html
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:36 amLooks like a lot of your products on the site are using dsp code by robin schmidt
Yes and no. Robin Schmidt provides the backbone, the skeleton of some of my plugins, things like oversampling and antialiasing, envelope generation, curves, the UI. At the same time, some of the code I use from Robin was comissioned by me to be written for use in my products.

We are actually moving away from using Robin Schmidt UI, it wasn't meant to be used for commercial products anyway. Flower Child Filter update will be the first of this trend.

So... do I need to mention Robin? I could... but not something you need to worry about. I mention Robin where I want to give important credit. Eventually I may sell a product that is mainly from Robin's ideas and DSP and send him royalties just like I do for Jerobeam Fenderson.

if you are using his dsp code, you should indeed mention him.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Mac version released, see first post for download. This is the release client, the oscilloscope does not work for mac version, still trying to fix the issue, but I will be releasing regardless unless there's a showstopper bug reported.
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:39 pm if you are using his dsp code, you should indeed mention him.
filters are named after his company in the Flower Child UI as well as showing his company logo, and a description that links to his website.

New version uploaded. Main change is the plugin is renamed which will mess with older projects. I am saving the beta build in case anyone used it in a project and needs it again. It might be a easy fix in REAPER by messing with the rpp file and renaming the VST manually there.

sorry sorry sorry, dead link, should work now.

Not working for me.

Return to “Effects”