Dune: mostly just EDM?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
New Horizons - Dune 3 Presets Universal - Dune 3 Presets

grandmasterbird wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:49 pm Also had a Roland SH32 once... don’t know if anyone remembers those.... the filter stepped and aliased like mad but that was part of the charm 😂
I almost bought one on eBay once. :) Not sure if I would have been super happy with it though... in the end I'm glad I rather invested in software. I understand the character argument. I also go for character when I buy software.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:59 pm
grandmasterbird wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:49 pm Also had a Roland SH32 once... don’t know if anyone remembers those.... the filter stepped and aliased like mad but that was part of the charm 😂
I almost bought one on eBay once. :) Not sure if I would have been super happy with it though... in the end I'm glad I rather invested in software. I understand the character argument. I also go for character when I buy software.
Totally. Don’t get me wrong, if I didn’t already own the pieces I do then I wouldn’t bother with them. But because I’ve owned them for so long they’re like part of the family!

But if I invest in something new nowadays it’s software every time. It sounds great and is massively convenient, and with limited time to make music, to me it’s a no brainer

Yeah I'm pretty much all software now. This convo is making me miss my Nord leads though! I should give in and try synth1, but I think that's based off the Nord lead 1, which Im not familiar with.

Filter stepping can sound amazing and I wish there were an easier way to do it without mseg's. Any software synths with adjustable cutoff resolution?

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:23 pm Yeah I'm pretty much all software now. This convo is making me miss my Nord leads though! I should give in and try synth1, but I think that's based off the Nord lead 1, which Im not familiar with.

Filter stepping can sound amazing and I wish there were an easier way to do it without mseg's. Any software synths with adjustable cutoff resolution?

Nord Lead 2.

https://www.thispatchdoesnotexist.com/

The generated patches can be very loud, though. After running through about 150 patches I found two great bass sounds. Give it a try and be surprised! :)

excuse me please wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:23 pm Yeah I'm pretty much all software now. This convo is making me miss my Nord leads though! I should give in and try synth1, but I think that's based off the Nord lead 1, which Im not familiar with.

Nord Lead 2.

The generated patches can be very loud, though. After running through about 150 patches I found two great bass sounds. Give it a try and be surprised! :)

Thanks, now my entire day tomorrow is going to be wasted :love:

grandmasterbird wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:10 pm Totally. Don’t get me wrong, if I didn’t already own the pieces I do then I wouldn’t bother with them. But because I’ve owned them for so long they’re like part of the family!

But if I invest in something new nowadays it’s software every time. It sounds great and is massively convenient, and with limited time to make music, to me it’s a no brainer
Exactly. :tu:

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:51 pm
excuse me please wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Nord Lead 2.

Thanks, now my entire day tomorrow is going to be wasted :love:
I know. Especially when I applied ValhallaMassive and A1Triggergate on it. Before I noticed, it was 5:30 in the morning. Such a nice and clean sound. I could not get my bass sitting in the mix well. Tried and tried for months. But now it stands out. I got many new ideas. So yeah.. disclaimer: things could get pretty addictive!

e-crooner wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:04 pm I think it sounds rather different from the new Tal synth for instance, different in a negative way. Much of it probably has to do with the filter.
e-crooner wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:45 pm What do you want me to record on the Tal?!
Nothing, I just wanted you to post a patch that uses only one Osc that sounds better than the Dune 3 patch example I posted. If you can do that I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong. I don't think you or Tal J-8 can do it but surprise me. If you talk smack about any synth you should be able to back it up. I think the audio example I posted shows that Dune 3 does not sound sterile. I would post the patch but you can't use it anyway. It's just one patch out of the hundreds and hundreds I've made for Dune 3 that convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt that it does not sound sterile.
e-crooner wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:45 pm 80% of posts on KVR are a waste of time,
I think your number is about 19% too low....proof coming.
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 am
Teksonik wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:22 am Then you have no convictions in your opinions. If you don't think your opinion is more correct than someone who disagrees with that opinion then your opinions need rethinking. :shrug:
That’s the biggest line of b.s. I’ve read here today.
You think having convictions in your opinions is BS ? Yet you immediately give an opinion which sounds like you're pretty convinced is right.
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 amBeing an adult means (should mean) that you’re aware of how subjective so many things are, down to the point where we even hear differently. People who spend tons of times at blisteringly loud raves seem unable to hear their Virus TI aliasing, but even my old ears can clearly hear it. It’s definitely not for me, but should I tell all the people who love it that they’re wrong? That would be stupid, no matter how much I believe it.
I suppose the irony is not apparent to you ?

Anyway when someone gives a nonsensical opinion such as this:
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:25 am I do think that it has a very modern sound character, a bit sterile and cold,which may not be appropriate for any genre.
I'm going to tell them they are wrong because that's my opinion based on extensive hands on experience not the memory of a short demo a year ago or some wonky YT video. If I didn't have full conviction in that opinion then I wouldn't have that opinion would I ?

Obviously hundreds or thousands of Dune 3 owners are happily using it in their music so it's no doubt usable in many genres.

To think otherwise would be the "biggest line of b.s. I’ve read here today".

Then in the end I give the only advice that matters. Always try the demo yourself because no one can tell you what you like or don't like, what you need or don't need. The only opinion that matters one bit is your own when it come to deciding on the purchase of a synth.

Ok I'm out of this thread. Carry on and we'll just prove e-crooner's assertion that the vast majority of posts at KVR these days are worthless. Let's go make some music..... :arrow:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:17 pm Nothing, I just wanted you to post a patch that uses only one Osc that sounds better than the Dune 3 patch example I posted. If you can do that I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong. I don't think you or Tal J-8 can do it but surprise me. If you talk smack about any synth you should be able to back it up. I think the audio example I posted shows that Dune 3 does not sound sterile. I would post the patch but you can't use it anyway. It's just one patch out of the hundreds and hundreds I've made for Dune 3 that convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt that it does not sound sterile.

I'm going to tell them they are wrong because that's my opinion based on extensive hands on experience not the memory of a short demo a year ago or some wonky YT video. If I didn't have full conviction in that opinion then I wouldn't have that opinion would I ?

Obviously hundreds or thousands of Dune 3 owners are happily using it in their music so it's no doubt usable in many genres.

To think otherwise would be the "biggest line of b.s. I’ve read here today".

Then in the end I give the only advice that matters. Always try the demo yourself because no one can tell you what you like or don't like, what you need or don't need. The only opinion that matters one bit is your own when it come to deciding on the purchase of a synth.
Again, I can't match your patch in the TAL because not only can I no longer access Dune, I don't know what settings you used, either. Did you use several waves in that one oscillators, did you use effects, did you use the mod matrix, etc.
It sounds too thick and muddy to be a single saw wave.

That's exactly what I did, I demoed Dune a lot during that month, and didn't really like its sound, and back then I did not even have the TAL to compare it to.

As other people have mentioned there are some good non-EDM preset banks for Dune 3, I like the Loop Legendz packs which are meant I think for Rap/Trap but I use them for Pop, R&B and Rock:

https://looplegendz.com/dune-3-banks/

I think Dune 3 can be used for a lot of really different stuff. The Swarm Osc is just so sick.

As far as I've always read, it's loosely based on the Nord Lead's architecture. I don't think it really sounds much like a Nord Lead, but, I guess someone who actually has one can judge that better.

It's, again, one of those things: Neither the Nord Lead nor the Virus really had some good mimic in software, if we neglect Adam Szabo's Viper, which is the exception.

Return to “Instruments”