Crackling/Popping noises while watcing video on YouTube or using DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone, I have this problem from 3 months since I bought my new desktop. The probem is; I'm having cracking/crackling/popping sounds/noises while watching videos on web or listening music with Spotify or playingback audio in my DAW (Studio One 5).

The crackles are getting much heavier and frequent while there is mouse activity (like moving the cursor around GUI on Youtube or adjusting plugins in my DAW)

Here is my system specs:
- M-Audio M-Track Plus (MKII)
- AMD Ryzen 2600X
- Gigabyte B450M-H Motherboard
- MSI RX470
- 16gb ram
- 500gb M2 SSD

I also should note that I don't have any problem when I'm using the same USB audio interface with my 6 years old laptop. (Both Windows 10)

The problem is dissapearing when the M audio drivers are not installed. But I can't use Studio One without it, so I'm also stucked there.

I tried to use Asio4All and FL Studio Asio but the latency is not workable in recording situations.
Here is the things I've tried so far:

- Incrased the buffer size to maximum
- Made sure sample rate is same everywhere (24 bit, 44100 Hz)
- System power management %100 cpu
- USB power save disabled
- PCIe set to GEN3 in BIOS
- C-State disabled in BIOS
- CPU underclocked
- Changed the GPU (it was gtx770 and now it's RX470 and no change in crackles)

I've no idea how to help (perhaps try a different USB cable? different USB socket? check power settings / energy saving for USB?), but I'd like to applaud you because that's how one should ask for help - with the issue clearly described + list of things you've already tried! Hope someone finds a solution!

:clap: :tu:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I've already tried different USB cable, trying in different USB sockets(including the ones in the front part of the pc) and checking power/energy saving things for USB. Thanks for trying to help, it means a lot. This problem is truely unbareble, I even don't want to produce music because of it. So I really appreciate every attemp to solving the problem. Also thank you for your kind words :pray:

ogedayinanc wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:43 pmThis problem is truely unbareble, I even don't want to produce music because of it.
Have you tried the Windows drivers in Studio One? It's using the low-latency WASAPI and it's surprisingly good, especially since in Studio One since v3.something you can have separate buffer settings for armed tracks (for playing) and processing of everything else.

(sorry if you know & tried all of this already :) )

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/S ... .htm#Audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E964SMF6qgs
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

You can try some of these AMD optimizations.
Helped me.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=220

USB power saving mode and C-States doesn't really affect audio interface performance in modern systems (unless really badly written drivers?). I have them all enabled and have never encountered any issue caused by them even with my 6th gen Intel laptop.

Are you saying if you uninstall the M-Audio drivers and uses the basic class compliant USB audio device driver there are no popping and crackling coming out from your M-Track Plus anymore? If that really is the case then it simply means the drivers are bad, or at least not well written for your new AMD CPU and you'll need to file a bug report to M-Audio and hope they'll fix it with new drivers.

If that's not the case, then have you tried running your CPU frequency locked to it's base clock? i.e. turbo boost disabled.

You might also want to check for DPC issues using LatencyMon.

Forgot to mention that some brands have a USB buffer "safe mode" setting available in their drivers which makes a huge difference in my current system. You should also check if your M-Audio driver has them and try enabling it.

Try dpc latency checker too if there is any specific cause that makes spikes in your system.

Hope you get it sorted. I run an i7, but I had a realtime audioproblem with my motherboard so that I have to disable hyperthreading. Without it all runs smooth, so maybe try that :)

-jumper24

I did every optimization in the link but still the cracking noise is there. At first i thought that it was gone. Because it doesn't always happens in the first time. But after a couple of videos i tried it in Studio One and crackling started again(also on youtube). It is not related to overheat in any component as i'm monitoring their temperatures.

One more important note though, while I'm playing a game (warzone, csgo, fifa etc.) there is no crackling or popping, not even once.

-Uriel Anthony

Totally agree about USB power saving and C-states as my 6th gen intel laptop is working flawlessly with my M-Audio M-Track.
Are you saying if you uninstall the M-Audio drivers and uses the basic class compliant USB audio device driver there are no popping and crackling coming out from your M-Track Plus anymore?
That's right, I send a mail to M-Audio support. Still waiting for response.(Which I don't have big hope because the latest driver for my USB audio interface is from 2015.)

In LatencyMon all values are green. Even when I open a video on YouTube and there is crackling going on, the meters are showing green on LatencyMon.

Next thing I'm going to do is a clean driver installation of graphics card and processor chipset. I'm still open for all the new ideas and possible solutions.

I had similar issue that LatencyMon couldn't catch either and I finally narrowed it down to 2 things but mine is an Intel chip so I don't know if it applies to your AMD.

1. Disable Processor performance boost policy (by setting it to 0%).
This one got rid of 95% of my unidentified crackles. It's a hidden power option so you'll need this to set it: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windo ... ty.416058/
EDIT: Or just run this command "powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 45bcc044-d885-43e2-8605-ee0ec6e96b59 0"

Honestly, despite what MS says about this setting I still don't know what it really does (other than generating crackles) as I'm still getting turbo boost functionality. All I can say is it seems to affect the USB bus. Again, I think this might be an Intel issue (I'm suspecting this might be controlling Intel's Thermal Velocity Boost) but you can try it and let me know if it has the same result.

2. Don't lock/run your CPU to it's max advertised speed (turbo boost). The base speed is the guaranteed frequency the CPU will run 100% problem free.

For my case, I get the remaining 5% unidentified crackles if my CPU turbo boosts too much. It's as if like the USB bus couldn't catch up.

As to why gaming isn't affected (me too), all I can think of is the audio stream in games are of higher latency and probably lower priority. DX buffers are pretty big (compared to ASIO) anyway and I don't think games uses WASAPI mode?
Last edited by Uriel Anthony on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check the sampling rate the driver is defaulting to. I once had a similar issue, also with Studio One, where a driver would default to a very high sampling rate that would overload my system. Changing the sampling rate the driver used fixed the issue.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

A quick update on here: I did what Uriel and mgw38 said too. Then I change ram slot, made ssd more secure in it's place, using different power cables. Nothing changed.

Then I realise that my Motherboard has 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 so everytime I was trying USB 3 ports. I put my M Audio M track cable to USB 2.0 port. And now it's good, IF i don't move my mouse. Because the crackles are still happening while I'm moving the mouse.

I tried another mouse(no name 2$ mouse) and the crackles are gone! It's like a joke...

So now the only thing I need is being able to use my Logitech G203 to fix the problem completely.

Anyone with idea of how can I reset the mouse(mouse driver etc.)?

You discovered it yourself: Logitech is inferior to a $2 no-nonsense mouse. Hate to say it, but I blame it on all the bloatware they ship with it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

It's really sad. I'm happy with everything of this mouse but the crackles... I also notice that windows is recognising this logitech g203 mouse as keyboard in the settings. The other mouse is looking like mouse in the settings as it supposed to.

ogedayinanc wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:53 pm A quick update on here: I did what Uriel and mgw38 said too. Then I change ram slot, made ssd more secure in it's place, using different power cables. Nothing changed.

Then I realise that my Motherboard has 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 so everytime I was trying USB 3 ports. I put my M Audio M track cable to USB 2.0 port. And now it's good, IF i don't move my mouse. Because the crackles are still happening while I'm moving the mouse.

I tried another mouse(no name 2$ mouse) and the crackles are gone! It's like a joke...

So now the only thing I need is being able to use my Logitech G203 to fix the problem completely.

Anyone with idea of how can I reset the mouse(mouse driver etc.)?
Or try to use a different USB port for your mouse too (I mean Logitech).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”