When electronic music sounded new, like the future... what went wrong!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:25 am LMAO! yes, you ARE done. i challenge you to listen to today's tracks and tell me one track from the other. it is the most homogenous, copy cat, uninspired, boring tracks i have ever heard in my life. i cannot tell one track from the other, and it sounds like absolute TRASH!
All right. I accept the challenge. Here is my list of electronic music. Not a single EDM, Dubstep, Crapstep, Copystep, Borestep anywhere. Give this list a go and realise how much you have missed. All pretty much new releases. Some a few years old.

Nils Frahm - Kaleidoskope
Datach'i - Rockledge 3A
Trifonic - Ninth Wave
Richard Devine - Sinscur
Ulrich Schnauss - A Million Miles Away
Thorsten Quaeschning - Thirst
Ian Boddy - Omicron
John Hopkins - Luminous Beings
Solar Fields - Sol
Synkro - Fields
Autechre - F7
Clark - Slap Drones
Ochre - Dusklight Canopy
Deru - Let the Silence Float
Shpongle - Shnitzeled in the Negev
Bluetech - Alchemie Dub
Eat Static - Collider Scope
FourTet - Unicorn
Plaid - Do Matter
Bochum Welt - Extra LIfe
Robert Rich - Radiant Groundlines
Suzan Ciani, Kaitlyn, Aurelia Smith - Closed Circuit
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Accede
Xanopticon - Indec
etc
etc
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:17 am isn't it sad that we don't even buy, or listen to music electronic music anymore because if you've heard one, you've heard them all, and it all sounds like it was literally pressed out by an iphone. like, by the phone itself.
The same could be said of pretty much all the old-skool electronic music I used to listen to (and grew up with). The early music of Tangerine Dream. All the albums are so alike, so monotonous. Did a synth factory press it all out in the 1970s? ;) Its even more evident with the music of Klaus Shulze, and Kitaro. Electronic Music pioneers in their distinctive styles, but their respective albums were so similar and...monotonous? The same idea stretched out throughout many albums. Like...today's EDM? :D

Today's electronic music is amazingly diverse and rich. But you have to listen to 'electronic music' and not club music (EDM, Dubstep, House, Trance, etc). And you need to dedicate some time to listening, rather than moaning about it. :D

I do like some Ulrich Schnaus,Four Tet,Shpongle,Bluetech,Carbon Based & Plaid

but I'm not above a bit of Dua Lipa & Doja Cat
Yasss, queen fish pussy up slay okrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I think all the responses are interesting, but I was commenting more on the type of synthesis than the type of music. The Floyd/Rush prog rock sounds (I remember being only in to guitar and then hearing 'Tom Sawyer' by Rush (probably an OBX or 8 voice SEM) ....the FM DX7 sound in Funk/Soul, Wavetable/LFO and the massively produced Dubstep stuff (which sounded at least new/modern to me). Seems a few of you have said there hasn't been any really new distinctive 'sound'/production style since Dubstep...

Anyway, I guess if photorealistic GUI's of old synths with all the limitations of those old synths are what people want, the developers will keep making them....
Last edited by SLiC on Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

That's cuz,like you said
There's a lot of looking back in the market for that future nostalgia

Here is some 'Techno' from 1970 :-)

https://youtu.be/hWUiLJnEYJI
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

himalaya wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:40 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:25 am LMAO! yes, you ARE done. i challenge you to listen to today's tracks and tell me one track from the other. it is the most homogenous, copy cat, uninspired, boring tracks i have ever heard in my life. i cannot tell one track from the other, and it sounds like absolute TRASH!
All right. I accept the challenge. Here is my list of electronic music. Not a single EDM, Dubstep, Crapstep, Copystep, Borestep anywhere. Give this list a go and realise how much you have missed. All pretty much new releases. Some a few years old.

Nils Frahm - Kaleidoskope
Datach'i - Rockledge 3A
Trifonic - Ninth Wave
Richard Devine - Sinscur
Ulrich Schnauss - A Million Miles Away
Thorsten Quaeschning - Thirst
Ian Boddy - Omicron
John Hopkins - Luminous Beings
Solar Fields - Sol
Synkro - Fields
Autechre - F7
Clark - Slap Drones
Ochre - Dusklight Canopy
Deru - Let the Silence Float
Shpongle - Shnitzeled in the Negev
Bluetech - Alchemie Dub
Eat Static - Collider Scope
FourTet - Unicorn
Plaid - Do Matter
Bochum Welt - Extra LIfe
Robert Rich - Radiant Groundlines
Suzan Ciani, Kaitlyn, Aurelia Smith - Closed Circuit
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Accede
Xanopticon - Indec
etc
etc
I just tried a half dozen or so at random and gave up.

It all sounded like someone randomly pressing keys in Omnisphere or something.

You have heard one and you have heard it all.

Shaaaaaade

He said what he said

@dellboy, I have been listening to at least half those guys since they popped up on the scene (and I remember them when they were fresh faced kids). most of these guys have been around for the last 20 years now, like I said in my earlier post.

I'm right about the big 50, and was doing debbie harry, Siouxsie Sioux, was there for the lime light kids (I remember one summer with one of those girls pretty well), new jersey house, chi town house, MAD MIKE, The Belleville Three, german warehouse, jungle before GOLDIE (strait walked out of his 3 hour set after 45 minutes). Autechre, POLE, MONOLAKE... on through plaid and the idm scene....

and you kids brought me f**king sandstorm, dj keoki, Garrix, etc.... and have the NERVE to ask me what's wrong?

you are out of you're GOT blessed minds! i didn't think it was possible, but that's too much weed!

Don't you DARE blame that shit on weed!

I mean, I got some weird ass shit on vinyl sitting upstairs, and I SOLD the standards, they became replaceable, and i saw it coming a MILE away. was like... nope, keeping the weird stuff, and buying enough to make my own. this is getting stupid.

then i bought too much. stupid software.

dellboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:32 pm
I just tried a half dozen or so at random and gave up.

This list contains a very diverse range of styles. How can you equate something from Richard Devine to Shpongle to Solar Fields to Robert Rich is beyond me. It's evident that electronic music is not your thing.

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm @dellboy, I have been listening to at least half those guys since they popped up on the scene (and I remember them when they were fresh faced kids). most of these guys have been around for the last 20 years now, like I said in my earlier post.
Are you referring to the list I posted? It matters not if some of these artists have been around for 20 years. What matters is that they are here, now, making contemporary electronic music that is totally on the opposite end to what you were describing 'Electronic Music' to be nowadays.

dellboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:32 pm I just tried a half dozen or so at random and gave up.

The Autechre, Clark, and Ochre tracks are objectively distinct from each other sonically (new tracks to me). I only liked the Ochre one, though, to put on my playlist (I do like other Autechre stuff). Didn't know about Ian Boddy and Trifonic--added to my playlist--cool stuff. New-to-me sounds in that Shpongle track (but not grooving with me--I like Star Shpongled Banner-Remastered, though).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”