PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Hi everyone

i'm sure this will have been answered already, but i've looked thru this thread pretty fully and can't find the answer.

but basically: on recent Mac and Ableton Live 10, is it basically a no-go to try running PG-8X? i'm been trying everything i can think of for a number of months now, to no avail.

any thoughts?

Best

onpause

You can run the old beta AU version, or you can run the current VST version in a plugin host like Blue Cat's Patchwork.

thank you for the tip, really appreciate it!

e-crooner wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:01 pm Noticed something funny: when you take the init patch and increase the volume of the second oscillator to max, like the first one, they are slightly detuned, despite the fine tune knob being set to 0. However, if you turn that knob to +3, there is no detuning at all, which you might have expected when it is set to 0 8)
Well observed! This is, indeed, intended, as my hardware JX-8P behaves the same. The same is true for the resonance, which has a very odd behaviour. In fact, when increasing the resonance slider, the resonance is at first decreasing a bit, before it is picking up. That could be a particular issue of my unit, but at least all voices behave consistently. Hence I reproduced that behaviour.

Will we see VST3 and Apple Silicon versions?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm Will we see VST3 and Apple Silicon versions?
Most likely not from me. Life has been (and still is) extremely busy at the moment (work, family matters, etc.) and I don't have much spare time for music software. I hope that after the summer, I will finally find the time to transition the project to open source, so that others can jump in and work on MAC ports, and M1 support.

SST will welcome you with open arms, Martin. You know that! :)

[Deleted]
Last edited by menthol on Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

^ the hell!? no you are joking but still.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

idk about you guys but when I try to load a bank in PG-8X (in FL) it goes directly to the desktop shortcuts or the Quick Access folder and not to where I have the syx files, idk if that will be fixed, it would be cool to have a preset browser like TAL-Sampler or something.
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

Samuel_S wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:24 pm idk about you guys but when I try to load a bank in PG-8X (in FL) it goes directly to the desktop shortcuts or the Quick Access folder and not to where I have the syx files, idk if that will be fixed, it would be cool to have a preset browser like TAL-Sampler or something.
There's an [ini] file inside the PG-8X folder called "PG-8X.ini", it configures the data folder path and preset directory. It should look like this:

Code: Select all

DEFAULT_NUM_VOICES = 12
DataPath = %AppPath%\Data
GLOBAL_GAIN = HIGH
IMMEDIATE_WRITE = FALSE
LOCK = 
MIDI_THRU = FALSE
PRESETDIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\PG-8X\
SEND_PARAM_SYSEX = TRUE
SEND_PROG_SYSEX = TRUE

Hi
I work live with a Mac Pro and MainStage in live Projects. Now I have problems or did not understand what I have to do so patches or banks are stored permanently in my songprojects. So that when I open a MainStage Song- or total Liveproject, these Patches or Banks are already loaded automaticaly in PG-8X VST, so that I do not have to load them every time via the load button handy againe.

Furthermore, I use several PG-8X patches in my livesongs. How can I do, that I can toggle e.B. over a Keyboard key or button vorward and backwards (Sysex, Midilearn?)?

Thank you for your helpful inputs
Sorry for my bad english, hope you will understod my questions.
Rudolf

hallo
Ich arbeite live mit einem Mac Pro und MainStage. Nun habe ich Probleme oder nicht verstanden was ich tun muss, damit die galdenen Patches oder Banken dauerhaft im MainStage Projekt abgespeichert werden. Also das wenn ich MainStage erneut öffne, diese Patches oder Banken bereits wieder geladen werden, damit ich nicht jedes Mal diese über den Loadbutton wieder handisch laden muss. D.h. bei mir verliert das PG-8X VST Plugin die geöffneten Patches oder Banken immer wieder und steht leer auf INI.

Weiter verwende ich in Livesongs mehrere PG-8X Patches. Wie kann ich das machen, dass ich diese verschiedenen Patches für einen Song Live über z.B. Keyboardtaste vor und zurück bzw. umschalten kann.

Danke für eure hilfreichen inputs

Rudolf

bladi wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:26 am Danke für eure hilfreichen inputs
das sind recht mainstage-spezifische fragen
die waeen uU besser in einem mainstage (spezialisierten) forum aufgehoben

tipp (geht bei mir mit v3.4.4)

du stellst dir die sounds/patches einzeln zusammen und speicherst sie als
.aupreset mit leading 0s ab

also zB
01 sound1
02 sound2
03 sound3
etc

du speicherst dein "concert" mit pg-8x und dem gewuenschten aupreset ab
zB "03 sound3"
dann wird bei naechsten laden dieses concerts auch der pg mit dem abgespeicherten "03 sound3" geoeffnet

fuer prev/next kannst du dir uU entsprechende actions programmieren
da kenn ich mich zuwenig aus...

hth

martin_l wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm Will we see VST3 and Apple Silicon versions?
Most likely not from me. Life has been (and still is) extremely busy at the moment (work, family matters, etc.) and I don't have much spare time for music software. I hope that after the summer, I will finally find the time to transition the project to open source, so that others can jump in and work on MAC ports, and M1 support.
Hello Martin! I am a fan of your PG-8X synthesizer and I find it awesome that you'll be considering to make your work open-source as well. Are there any updates or details on how the transition to open-source will be like? (Will it be hosted on Github? Will it have a proper bug tracker?) I've not dabbled a ton with C++ but I'd be totally willing to help the cause of getting the codebase to compile on other platforms (At least within the realms of my skills)

Cheers!
AudioHobbyist.

martin_l wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm

When I click on change program name, it crashes, any ideas? Win 10 Pro, Cakewalk and savihost crash.
32bit dll does not crash, only 64bit. What can i do to fix this?

Return to “Instruments”