Coming Soon: RX 9

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trensharo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 pm
RX is used a lot in post production. You can't run Acoustica stuff on a Pro Tools HDX system without the "VST Latency" and high CPU use.

As for "leaving perpetual users hanging," I don't factor in theoretical future feature additions when I choose to buy a product. I'm not sure why anyone else would. RX - beyond elements, which is routinely $19-29 - is not a hobbyist product.
Yeah, no, every company I've used that aren't complete dicks, (and most of those are out of business now), has a grace period. This isn't about being dissatisfied that you upgraded three months ago etc. the standard across both pro and prosumer lines is 30 days, some companies do two weeks. some do three months.

iZotope have a grace period. I was square at two weeks and they honored that, I don't know if it's longer than that? but anyone who bought or upgrade RX in the last three months should contact them about it and find out for themselves. :)

Does anyone believe that izotope is actually working on native Silicon support? I love RX, but if they’re going to just depend on Rosetta 2 for support I’m leaning on just getting Acoustica for my spectral editing.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:55 pm Does anyone believe that izotope is actually working on native Silicon support? I love RX, but if they’re going to just depend on Rosetta 2 for support I’m leaning on just getting Acoustica for my spectral editing.
From email exchange with them:
Any word on when you will get native Apple Silicon versions out? 😀
iZotope wrote:iZotope
No word on that yet, the focus right now is smooth operation in Rosetta mode. And so far the betas are going well.

Native M1 support is definitely still down the road for future patches and releases.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:27 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:55 pm Does anyone believe that izotope is actually working on native Silicon support? I love RX, but if they’re going to just depend on Rosetta 2 for support I’m leaning on just getting Acoustica for my spectral editing.
No word on that yet, the focus right now is smooth operation in Rosetta mode. And so far the betas are going well.

Native M1 support is definitely still down the road for future patches and releases.
Thanks. On a side note I'm really hoping they decide to update the Exponential Audio plugins, but at the rate that they like to euthanize their own plugins for the slightest of reasons...it's hard to hold out hope.

^^ same, those are some nice reverbs.

Hi!
Trensharo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 pm RX is used a lot in post production. You can't run Acoustica stuff on a Pro Tools HDX system without the "VST Latency" and high CPU use.
This made me curious -- would it be possible to elaborate on this? Audio restoration plug-ins tend to have rather long latencies in general, but as far as I know, our plug-ins have shorter latencies and lower CPU usage than the corresponding offerings from most competitors. Even our deep learning based plug-ins such as Extract:Dialogue are available as plug-ins with automation support. Why is it harder to use the Acon Digital plug-ins with an HDX system? You're of course entitled to your opinion, and I usually don't comment on these, but I just wanted to know if there's something we've missed.

Best,
Stian

This seems like a good window of oportunity for Acon Digital :)
Fernando (FMR)

stian wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 am Hi!
Trensharo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 pm RX is used a lot in post production. You can't run Acoustica stuff on a Pro Tools HDX system without the "VST Latency" and high CPU use.
This made me curious -- would it be possible to elaborate on this? Audio restoration plug-ins tend to have rather long latencies in general, but as far as I know, our plug-ins have shorter latencies and lower CPU usage than the corresponding offerings from most competitors. Even our deep learning based plug-ins such as Extract:Dialogue are available as plug-ins with automation support. Why is it harder to use the Acon Digital plug-ins with an HDX system? You're of course entitled to your opinion, and I usually don't comment on these, but I just wanted to know if there's something we've missed.

Best,
Stian
RX has plugins that run on HDX DSP hardware.

Those plugins are offloaded from the host PC to the HDX hardware. They use practically no CPU and have practically no latency in those situations. I'm talking 3-5 msec latency recording through the plug-in...

You can record through these plugins and the latency will be less than the latency of a budget interface on a PC recording with no plug-ins.

This is important when recording dialog or doing ADR.

For home studio use, this is ignorable as most won't be using that hardware or comparable setups.

For the markets where RX truly dominates, it's kind of a big deal.

Citing price and price alone makes no sense, because the price is typically a result of competitors not going where that solution goes, leaving them with fewer competitors in a key market. RX isn't really priced for bedroom producers, beyond the Elements SKU (and promotions).

And personally, I would own both Acoustica and RX as they aren't solutions that target the same niches to me. But I already have WaveLab for the other stuff, and already own too many plug-ins.

They aren't harder to use. Just less efficient and less practical at the higher end of the market. Avid has Hybrid Engine, now.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

masterhiggins wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:27 pm

Thanks. On a side note I'm really hoping they decide to update the Exponential Audio plugins, but at the rate that they like to euthanize their own plugins for the slightest of reasons...it's hard to hold out hope.
NeoVerb is replacing all of the EA plug-ins. The Exponential Audio Reverbs are practically legacy, at this point.

And if I were buying something for Spectral Editing I'd probably get SpectraLayers.

For Wave Editing and Mastering, I think Acoustica competes favorably with WaveLab, given the price point. I would strongly consider it, there.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

pixel85 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:47 am You mean "subscription 9"? I don't expect to see new major features in non-sub version.
No. It will be the usual feature-rich update. Otherwise it won't be an update.

People keep misrepresenting iZotope and subs with wild hyperbole and hysteria. Subs' advantage means you get some features a bit earlier, that's about it. Prior to this iZotope only very rarely added a feature after initial release, it was just maintenance fixes. No different to now.

This announcement is merely confirmation that the old model continues exactly as it did for those (including I) who prefer it. Great.

RX8 was fantastic. Very much looking forward to what is in store.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

they're offering an update to RX8 w/free upgrade to RX9 for $99. in the 'my loyalty discounts' at izotope.com

RX8 already works well.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:06 pm RX8 already works well.
so does RX7

Trensharo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm
stian wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 am Hi!

Best,
Stian
RX has plugins that run on HDX DSP hardware.

Those plugins are offloaded from the host PC to the HDX hardware. They use practically no CPU and have practically no latency in those situations. I'm talking 3-5 msec latency recording through the plug-in...

You can record through these plugins and the latency will be less than the latency of a budget interface on a PC recording with no plug-ins.

This is important when recording dialog or doing ADR.

For home studio use, this is ignorable as most won't be using that hardware or comparable setups.

For the markets where RX truly dominates, it's kind of a big deal.

Citing price and price alone makes no sense, because the price is typically a result of competitors not going where that solution goes, leaving them with fewer competitors in a key market. RX isn't really priced for bedroom producers, beyond the Elements SKU (and promotions).

And personally, I would own both Acoustica and RX as they aren't solutions that target the same niches to me. But I already have WaveLab for the other stuff, and already own too many plug-ins.

They aren't harder to use. Just less efficient and less practical at the higher end of the market. Avid has Hybrid Engine, now.
The real money for any audio software in today's world is in the amateur/home studio/typical producer-mixer market. This also means basic podcasting studios and what not.

For this market, iZotope RX doesn't any sense any more. Acoustica 7 is a much better deal and at least last time I compared my RX version to theirs, it was superior (I have RX Advanced at version 7) in pretty much every way I could think of comparing.

Sure.. for Pro Tools HDX owners, this may not be the case but of all the studios I knew that ran Pro Tools HDX systems have abandoned them a long time ago. They are running custom configurations of Pro Tools now (3rd party AD/DA conversion etc on powerful macs or PCs). HDX is extremely rare as far as I can tell. And all the purchasing power is in this general domain.

That means 99.9% of the people reading this thread will be much better off with Acustica 7 in my opinion.. if they were ever considering something like RX Advanced to begin with.

iZotope is also notoriously bad at fixing bugs and updating their software. They have a whole slew of almost abandonware products so it's not a good company to bet any money on. Acon Digital has proven with their track record to be the exact opposite. So yeah, whatever floats your boat. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

RX 8 standard is better than my RX 7 advanced for the type of noise reduction I do as a hobbyist.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”