[rock] Hey Caroline

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Our newest song is "Hey Caroline":

Direct link: "Hey Caroline"

Website with graphics (much more exciting): "Hey Caroline"
Note: This requires clicking the grey "play"-button.

You can find more information, e.g. what Caroline is all
about, by scrolling down.

Comments or ratings - good and critical - about the
composition, mix or sounds - are very welcome! :)

Have fun :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I liked the song very much :tu: but...
I leave it to the mixing people.
Lets just say that i think this is a perfect example of not making room for each instrument.
Maybe i'm wrong? Lets see what the others say.
I'm also a bit curious if the others think this volume level is nice. :drunk:
(I know wagtunes like it loud). :D

Thank you, Saffran! :wink:
Saffran wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:29 pm Lets just say that i think this is a perfect example of not making room for each instrument.
Maybe i'm wrong? Lets see what the others say.
So yes - the chorus should sound tight and loud!

And then the vocals and the guitars fight each other. The guitarist would like to have
the guitars a bit louder and stronger - and the vocalist - that is me - would like to have
the vocals understood. The question is: should the vocals be a little quieter? Or should
the distorted guitars be quieter? Or should the guitars be taken back a little at 3 khz? :?:
Saffran wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:29 pm I'm also a bit curious if the others think this volume level is nice. :drunk:
So yeah ... it's relatively loud - but I think the song sounds good the way it is. It has to
do with listening habits, of course. I think that the quieter you can hear it, i.e. via
smartphone or in the car, the louder it has to be mixed overall. Mmmh? :?:
Last edited by enroe on Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

In terms of mixing, whenever you have distorted guitar and vocals, you have a mixing headache. Often people put the guitars well off to the side and have the vocal up the middle.
There are some good-sounding more minimal sections (e.g. @1:31>)
I don't think its "mixed badly" , just in those sections where you have distorted guitar, you could make things clearer.
( I like the song by the way :tu: )

Thank you, Bansaw! :D
Bansaw wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:24 pm In terms of mixing, whenever you have distorted guitar and vocals, you have a mixing headache. Often people put the guitars well off to the side and have the vocal up the middle.
There are some good-sounding more minimal sections (e.g. @1:31>)
I don't think its "mixed badly" , just in those sections where you have distorted guitar, you could make things clearer.
( I like the song by the way :tu: )
The minimal sections are the verses. In any case, on the suggestions of both of you, we
will reconsider the chorus. My suggestion would be to lower the distorted guitar by 1.2
dB at 3 kHz ... let's see. :neutral:

Cool! Great guitar rock with good vocals. I liked!

enjoyed it. powerful mix, if not a bit cluttered as
others noted. but sill rocks my socks! well done :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I think I agree that the volume of the vocals could be increased a little in the chorus. I think you should also change "believe" (verb) to "belief" (noun) in the pre-chorus on the lyric page.

The song itself was very well written and I thought was a very poignant and insightful piece of writing about the repression (or perhaps self-repression) of the human spirit. The overall sound was powerful, with lots of dynamics to drive the song along. I really liked the vocal harmony in the chorus.

Good work :)

markkuja wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:53 pm Cool! Great guitar rock with good vocals. I liked!
Thank you markkuja. Glad you like it!

You want to know a secret?
I turned up in this thread because of the name containing rock and Caroline. :D
It's not Status Quo but a good surprise. :band:

layzer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:04 pm enjoyed it. powerful mix, if not a bit cluttered as
others noted. but sill rocks my socks! well done :tu:
Nice to hear that. Thanks! :)

Good work all around, but yes, I'd bring out those vocals a wee bit more in some of the verses (the first, for sure). I like the mix, feels right for the song style.

seismic1 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:16 pm I think I agree that the volume of the vocals could be increased a little in the chorus.
I now have a new version online, in which the chorus guitar is a tad
quieter.
seismic1 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:16 pm I think you should also change "believe" (verb) to "belief" (noun) in the pre-chorus on the lyric page.
Thanks for pointing out "belief"! Your close attention surprises me -
I will correct that as soon as possible.
seismic1 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:16 pm The song itself was very well written and I thought was a very poignant and insightful piece of writing about the repression (or perhaps self-repression) of the human spirit. The overall sound was powerful, with lots of dynamics to drive the song along. I really liked the vocal harmony in the chorus.

Good work :)
Thank for your detailed feedback! I really appreciate that! :)

I don't mind the mix being a little cluttered since the song still shines through. As a guitarist, guitars can never be too loud or so we like to think...

Saffran wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:12 pm You want to know a secret?
I turned up in this thread because of the name containing rock and Caroline. :D
It's not Status Quo but a good surprise. :band:
Haha, yes, Rock and Caroline!

And - seismic1 has already underlined that - there is a
special reason for Caroline: After 20 years, Caroline has
given up and subordinated herself to the pressures of
everyday life. That's exactly the tragedy in this song.

Great icons by the way!

Return to “Music Cafe”