One Synth Challenge #154: Triple Cheese by u-he (schiing wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Triple Cheese

Cool Synth, don't know why, but the vibe of it really reminds me a lot of Pete Namlook's (RIP) Escape releases in the early 90s. Couldn't get on with the k1v crashing and stability, so hope to get some time to maybe do something more along a Namlook vibe with it maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BMOyyAtKy0

phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:35 pm The FX chain is Triple Cheese → SlickEQ → Αllpassphase → Nightshine Compressor.
If you just read the description of the AllPassPhase vst, you know its not allowed at all:
https://github.com/enummusic/allpassphase
Its a very nice tool for other occasions than an OSC undoubtedly. And the tips for this kind of treatment are appreciated nonetheless…
I also think that using compressors in 11 territory isn’t in the spirit. Compressors can be used subtle and not as sound design tool. I’d say max 4 territory… Same for filters…
In the spirit would be to compose a piece that doesn’t need a kick if the synth isn’t made for it! Composition is a crucial part of the challenge not just sound design… There is no need at all to create the ever same styles and kicks. Look over the fence you are trapped in… Listen to some music which is in a different instrumentation… I mean it doesn’t need more than a guitar or a blues harp to make touching, beautiful music…

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:35 am In the spirit would be to compose a piece that doesn’t need a kick if the synth isn’t made for it! Composition is a crucial part of the challenge not just sound design… There is no need at all to create the ever same styles and kicks. Look over the fence you are trapped in… Listen to some music which is in a different instrumentation… I mean it doesn’t need more than a guitar or a blues harp to make touching, beautiful music…
If only more people thought that!
We need to announce a month without percussion! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the end it depends whether you want to try to reproduce real instruments and/or percussion OR synthesise sounds which have the right feel and then use those on a track. So, plucky sounds and near pianos (Rhodes style EP is generally not too hard), bowed sounds, strings, reedy/trumpets, slow attack things etc. are all reasonable (and easy) things to do. If the sound fits, then it's OK to me.

I try to compose something which is listenable, but I admit, usually along fairly traditional lines, and will use "standard" instrumentation.

But each to their own I say - but transforming a click to a kick - well - you judge!

dB

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:35 am In the spirit would be to compose a piece that doesn’t need a kick if the synth isn’t made for it! Composition is a crucial part of the challenge not just sound design… There is no need at all to create the ever same styles and kicks. Look over the fence you are trapped in… Listen to some music which is in a different instrumentation… I mean it doesn’t need more than a guitar or a blues harp to make touching, beautiful music…
Well put, thank you for that...
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

I hope I'll find the find for some Triple Cheese noodling. I really enjoyed it last time, even though I probably didn't fully understand it then!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

3lu5iv3 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:50 am Hey mmGhost, i hope u see this message.

how do i get kick and snare sounds similar to what u used on Untethered?
i wish u could guide me in the right direction cuz i suck at sound design.
IIRC it was typical layering. On older version of Logic so looking at my old presets it looks like what i did was used the midi note length on different layers to make the kik, and the Sn was... well... honestly I wouldn't do it that way again. used some additive EQ to help with the sound design and I've been avoiding those tricks now to be more in line with doing all the heavy lifting in the synth.

also - the mix was very, very quiet, until i mastered it. b/c my kik was very very weak. it just sounds bigger b/c i mixed everyting down at like -20 dB or something for that track.

GL

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:35 am
phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:35 pm The FX chain is Triple Cheese → SlickEQ → Αllpassphase → Nightshine Compressor.
I also think that using compressors in 11 territory isn’t in the spirit. Compressors can be used subtle and not as sound design tool. I’d say max 4 territory…
I only came to add the fast-compressor-crunch to my tool box because of reading about it in one to the "making of" reports, I think. Can't remember which. Might be i remember not correctly. I have thought about that trick again: if I use like 1 msec attack and 1 msec release, low thresh and aggressive ratio ... would that be like a 2 msec cycle and kind of a AM of a sound 1000 msec / 2 msec times = 500Hz? If I build like a crazy chain of repeating crunch-compressor-eq pairs ... Would that be okay? Each might only add little crunch ... but overall I think I will be able to sound like a guitar amp.

Check out the MP3 in the attached ZIP. This is Preset HomeSick Piano. It only runs through 3 times in a row of EQ-Fast-Compressor with different settings. I think I can still hear the HomeSick Piano...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IV! wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:51 am We need to announce a month without percussion! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck even specifying such a rule. "Nice dulcimer... Hang on. That sounds like a hammer dulcimer. Disqualified!" :hihi:
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:27 pm
IV! wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:51 am We need to announce a month without percussion! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck even specifying such a rule. "Nice dulcimer... Hang on. That sounds like a hammer dulcimer. Disqualified!" :hihi:
A month with no pulse! :drunk:
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:35 am
If you just read the description of the AllPassPhase vst, you know its not allowed at all:
https://github.com/enummusic/allpassphase
Its a very nice tool for other occasions than an OSC undoubtedly. And the tips for this kind of treatment are appreciated nonetheless…
I also think that using compressors in 11 territory isn’t in the spirit. Compressors can be used subtle and not as sound design tool. I’d say max 4 territory… Same for filters…
In the spirit would be to compose a piece that doesn’t need a kick if the synth isn’t made for it! Composition is a crucial part of the challenge not just sound design… There is no need at all to create the ever same styles and kicks. Look over the fence you are trapped in… Listen to some music which is in a different instrumentation… I mean it doesn’t need more than a guitar or a blues harp to make touching, beautiful music…
A better alternative for OSC would be to use the saw pluck with a short decay and automate the Tune down to create a pitch envelope and then EQ accordingly and layer it with some noise. I've not found another way of doing it so far on tripple cheese. Interested to see what others have come up with.

mmGhost wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:13 pm
3lu5iv3 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:50 am Hey mmGhost, i hope u see this message.

how do i get kick and snare sounds similar to what u used on Untethered?
i wish u could guide me in the right direction cuz i suck at sound design.
IIRC it was typical layering. On older version of Logic so looking at my old presets it looks like what i did was used the midi note length on different layers to make the kik, and the Sn was... well... honestly I wouldn't do it that way again. used some additive EQ to help with the sound design and I've been avoiding those tricks now to be more in line with doing all the heavy lifting in the synth.

also - the mix was very, very quiet, until i mastered it. b/c my kik was very very weak. it just sounds bigger b/c i mixed everyting down at like -20 dB or something for that track.

GL
Ah i see. thx.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Apropos of nothing - I thought I'd start out with something neat and dry tonight, as I went completely overboard with effects the last time we had Triple Cheese.

That's not quite the way it pans out, apparently! :hyper: :lol:

So, a restart, probably. But I have to say, I think it lends itself very well to cinematic stuff / drama.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/high ... al_sharing

ELEX wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm
phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:56 pm That Αllpassphase VST works wonders on that click and you can get so many kick variations just by playing around with the (very few) parameters it almost feels like cheating :D.
No offense intended, but that would be because it actually IS cheating ! Sweeping an allpass filter is a modulation effect, regardless of the way it's created or any wet\dry settings. If it isn't, then modulating a tiny delay with an LFO isn't a chorus either. And the rule on modulation effects might as well be abandoned altogether.
Reverb uses allpass filters and modulation and its allowed in moderation. So is allpass phase vst.

Really the arguments around the use of FX and modulation are a bit silly when the entire idea of synthesis revolves around modulation. Literally everything uses modulation in a synthesiser!

What isn't allowed in OSC Is applying an external effect until the resulting sound is unrecognisable.

So using allpassphase to smooth the transient of a DC click is completely allowed.

TripleCheese is indeed a very interesting synth. Plus the new GUI, amazing! I wonder if I can do the exact same tone generation features with Zebra 2?

Return to “Instruments”